Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Let me introduce myself and my shop (Read 3,711 times)

John Spitters

WR Rocks!

Let me introduce myself and my shop
Feb 9th, 2012 at 2:02pm

I've enjoyed woodworking for most of my life and only recently got into turning apx. 4 yrs now. prior to building the shop I always worked out of the house garage or basement depending on where I lived at the time.
I'm 55 yrs of age and retired this past summer from a career in Real Estate, who knows I may yet go back to this in the future. but for now I'm dealing with a lot of issues with my eyes (6 surgeries to date and another scheduled for later this month) so all depending on how that goes. This was in part reason for the early retirement.

Shop size : 22' x 23' outside dimensions, this is a stand alone structure with a loft that has a head room of apx.5' 5" at the peak, and a floor area of 12' x 22' that provides me with lots of wood storage, access to this attic is by both an interior drop down staircase as well as an exterior door.
Shop was built or at least finished to lock up stage in 2009 since then the interior has been a work in progress as funds allow.
As you can see I did "lots" of pre-wire so that I would not have a shortage of plugs throughout the shop. Panel is fed with a 60amp from the main in the house, but the actual shop panel is a 100amp panel so that I could have lots of dedicated lines to each of my machines.
All of the cabinet drawers are on full extension slides, I have yet to add the fronts to these drawers though, as I said this is still a work in progress.

John
« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2012 at 3:00pm by John Spitters »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register 1_01.JPG (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register 002_02.JPG (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register 003_03.JPG (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register 004_02.JPG (Attachment deleted)

Doc. says   " Keep Spinning "

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
John Spitters

WR Rocks!

Re: Let me introduce myself and my shop
Reply #1 - Feb 9th, 2012 at 2:05pm

More Pics
Sorry about the Quality of these pics as I had to compress them so much in order to get them to post on this site.

John
« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2012 at 3:04pm by John Spitters »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register 005_02.JPG (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register 006_001.JPG (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register 007_02.JPG (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register 008_02.JPG (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #2 - Feb 9th, 2012 at 3:17pm

nice shop.

i am not a fan of using a 100A box on a 60A circuit.  with so many circuits, you run the risk of popping the 60A circuit breaker if you operate too much load at one time, either on purpose or by accident.  also, does your electrical code allow this?  just my 2˘.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

John Spitters

WR Rocks!

Reply #3 - Feb 9th, 2012 at 3:31pm

Everything  as far as electrical and structure was all done through permits, the panel in the shop is a 100amp panel but the main breaker in this panel was switched over to a 60amp. All done and passed by code. The reason for the larger panel is that so each major machine could have it's own dedicated line. Lights are also on 2 seperate breakers, all wires pulled through walls are 12g and 10g and 8g respectively for either a 110- 20amp circuit, 220 - 20amp, 220 -30amp, or 220 - 40amp. lights though are on 15amp breakers.

This is classified as a one man shop and code allows for this.
« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2012 at 3:32pm by John Spitters »  

IP Logged

James Saxinger
WR Champion

WR Rocks!

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
Canada

NOVA 2024
GI 25-200
Reply #4 - Feb 9th, 2012 at 3:39pm

John, what do you have your shop sheeted with ?? It almost looks like G1S plywood. Wish I had a shop that size......yes I am jealous....

As long as the rating of the panel is not exceeded, all is good. But to trip a 60A breaker, multiple pieces of machinery would have to be run at the same time under load. If he's the only in the shop, chances are that he won't be running 2 or 3 things at the same time. The CEC says he fine.

nice shop John

IP Logged

John Spitters

WR Rocks!

Reply #5 - Feb 9th, 2012 at 4:47pm

Hi James
You'll probably get tears in your eyes when I tell you what the shop is sheathed in .... Marine grade 5/8 okume plywood 11 ply, all walls and ceiling as well as all of the shop cabinets. I got a super deal on 2 lifts of this stuff (104 pieces) it was rejected for it's marine application because the outer veneer layer was too thin, and in places you could see where it had nearly been sanded through. But for my purposes it was just fine.

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #6 - Feb 9th, 2012 at 4:49pm

That is one gorgeous shop I am green with envy.  I would say he only uses one machine at a time so a 60 amp is fine.

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Lynn Woolever

WR Rocks!

Dennison, Illinois, USA
Dennison
Illinois
USA

Reply #7 - Feb 9th, 2012 at 9:01pm

John Spitters wrote on Feb 9th, 2012 at 3:31pm:
Everything  as far as electrical and structure was all done through permits, the panel in the shop is a 100amp panel but the main breaker in this panel was switched over to a 60amp. All done and passed by code. The reason for the larger panel is that so each major machine could have it's own dedicated line. Lights are also on 2 seperate breakers, all wires pulled through walls are 12g and 10g and 8g respectively for either a 110- 20amp circuit, 220 - 20amp, 220 -30amp, or 220 - 40amp. lights though are on 15amp breakers.

This is classified as a one man shop and code allows for this.

John,
As an electrician I will say what you did is safe and well done! That is why it was passed by a inspector.

After a good days work i used to stretch and it felt good!
These days it just hurts!

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Freddie Hicks
WR Addict

Lubbock, Texas, USA
Lubbock
Texas
USA

Reply #8 - Feb 9th, 2012 at 9:10pm

Nice shop, a lot cleaner than mine. Nice lathe and drum sander.

Mi Vida Echa en Madera

IP Logged

Len Layman
WR Patron

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Reply #9 - Feb 9th, 2012 at 9:12pm

I have peni  sorry shop envy.  Very nice

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #10 - Feb 9th, 2012 at 9:26pm

i am glad that all is to code and inspected.  i just worry though about a stand alone shop with only 60 A service.  while you may be the only one in there, run the planer with DC, lights and a heater in the winter and you have a load.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #11 - Feb 9th, 2012 at 9:32pm

I questioned a "100 amp" panel on the 60 amp circuit because I thought you meant you had a 100 amp breaker on the box, a big no-no.  But matching breakers are good.  I have 60 amp breakers on each end of my extension to the garage.

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill, South Carolina, USA
Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #12 - Feb 9th, 2012 at 10:48pm

Man... what a shop, I love the dust collection set up!!! smiley=thumbsup.gif

Wizzy

IP Logged

Nate Davey
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Albuquerque, NM, New Mexico, USA
Albuquerque, NM
New Mexico
USA

Reply #13 - Feb 10th, 2012 at 10:20am

So this is where the magic happens.  Very nice shop John, being from BC I'm going to guess it's heated Grin.  Do you have a separate finishing area?

When you start a project you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".

IP Logged

Grant Schoonover

Go Hokies!

Cumming, GA, Georgia, USA
Cumming, GA
Georgia
USA

Reply #14 - Feb 10th, 2012 at 10:45am

Man, I was just about to post about the Dust collection system I worked up over the last couple of weekends, but it'll look pathetice compared to this.

Well done.  Do you ever go back into the house?  If so, Why?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print