I am a part of all that
I have met.

Lawton, Oklahoma, Oklahoma, USA
Lawton, Oklahoma
Oklahoma
USA

Poor Man's Paradise
Feb 20th, 2012 at 2:25pm

As a NOOBE, my shop may be austere by most standards. It contains a mini lathe, scroll saw, blade runner, and mitre saw. Give it time, and it will grow.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Shop_1.JPG (Attachment deleted)

Papajack
http://www.facebook.com/papajack70?ref=profile  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Guy Bratt
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Richmond, Michigan, USA
Richmond
Michigan
USA

Robust American Beauty
Rikon 70-100
Re: Poor Man's Paradise
Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2012 at 3:09pm

I think it's a nice little escape Jack.
What is a blade runner?

Old, Fat,n Ugly...I shed 100 pounds this year.  Still old.  Still ugly. But what can you do at this age?
You know? If you knew me you'd see my avatar and I really look a lot alike.

IP Logged

Breck Whitworth
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Gulfport, Mississippi, USA
Gulfport
Mississippi
USA

PM 3520-B
Reply #2 - Feb 20th, 2012 at 3:40pm

Jack a shop is our castle it doesn't have to be large just ours! Just keep turning
Breck smiley=thumbsup.gif

May the Lord Bless the work of our hands! And Necessity is the mother of invention:

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Administrator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #3 - Feb 20th, 2012 at 3:58pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register is basically a jig saw mounted upside down under a table.  similar to a scroll saw, but the blade is not supported at the top.

all shops start out small.  mine started out in a storage shed with a 3/8" drill and a 7¼" skill saw.  it is not what you have or want, but what you can do with what you have that counts.  it is hard for me to see (pic is very small and eyes are bad), but it looks like you have room to grow.  enjoy what you have and get what you need as you need it. smiley=thumbsup.gif
« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2012 at 4:02pm by David Hamann »  

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Jack Hunsucker

I am a part of all that
I have met.

Lawton, Oklahoma
Oklahoma
USA

Reply #4 - Feb 20th, 2012 at 4:54pm

I haven't figured out the secret of getting a photo to 75K or under but still have enough size to see detail.

Papajack
IP Logged

Jack Hunsucker

I am a part of all that
I have met.

Lawton, Oklahoma
Oklahoma
USA

Reply #5 - Feb 20th, 2012 at 4:59pm

The Blade Runner is a deceptively useful tool. You can cut a wide variety of materials with pretty good accuracy if you have the patience not to force it. I have no trouble ripping pen blanks to 3/4" squares or cutting circle segments for bowls. Since I can't afford a band saw at this time, segmented bowls are my only option.

Papajack
IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill, South Carolina, USA
Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #6 - Feb 20th, 2012 at 7:29pm

A person's shop is their castle regardless of its size, all I got is a 12X20 shed but its.... MINE!!! If yours is big enough to do what you enjoy doing, that's all that matter... Right!!! smiley=beer.gif

Wizzy

IP Logged

Len Layman
WR Addict

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Reply #7 - Feb 20th, 2012 at 8:47pm

Mike Baber wrote on Feb 20th, 2012 at 7:29pm:
all I got is a 12X20 shed

Wizzy,  That is a castle.  What are you talking about??    Grin Grin Grin

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Dirk Hoogendoorn
WR Addict

either a mistake or design
opportunity

Meaford Ont., Ontario, Canada
Meaford Ont.
Ontario
Canada

Reply #8 - Feb 20th, 2012 at 9:51pm

The size of shop others have does not help you in the least Jack. Enjoy what you have and make it work for you smiley=thumbsup.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif

I may be shiny, but not brand new

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Administrator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #9 - Feb 20th, 2012 at 11:36pm

Jack,

i have a poor excuse for a Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.  bought it based on another forums recommendations.  it has a hard time cutting paper.

that being said, you can do other turning besides just segmented.  bowls, candlesticks, small hollow forms, the list is only limited by your thinking.  looks like you have a small lathe, so a small electric chain saw would work for you.  it works for Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.  others use a reciprocating saw, bow saw, or even a axe.  you would be amazed at what you remove with a hammer and chisel.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #10 - Feb 21st, 2012 at 4:05am

Jack, Nice shop. ditto can't see the pic way to small. Like what was said it's our castle. you do the best with what you got to work with.

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

john Taylor
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Reply #11 - Feb 21st, 2012 at 2:07pm

My first shop was a cardboard box with a a 1/4" drill and a 6" skil saw.  Oh, and 2 C clamps.  With that and a nice long straight edge I built a complete set of kitchen cabinets, both base and overheads.  It took a lot of time and I had to develop a lot of patience, but the work got done.

Forty years later,I still have both tools tucked away as a reminder that you can work with what you have at hand.  It just takes perseverence and maybe a bit of youthful refusal to take no for an answer.

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Administrator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #12 - Feb 21st, 2012 at 9:22pm

John,

you build similar to my grandfather.  only difference is he did his building during the depression and used a hand saw and a brace & bit.  i remember those cupboards, long straight edges, square corners, each door had the same gap.  beautiful work.

IP Logged

john Taylor
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Reply #13 - Feb 22nd, 2012 at 12:10am

David Hamann wrote on Feb 21st, 2012 at 9:22pm:
John,

you build similar to my grandfather.  only difference is he did his building during the depression and used a hand saw and a brace & bit.  i remember those cupboards, long straight edges, square corners, each door had the same gap.  beautiful work.

You know what?  I missed one.  I also had a Stanley 60 1/2 low angle block plane that my grandad taught me how to use before he gave it to me.  And yes, grandad learned all his skills before he ever saw a power tool.  He often told me that power tools were too slow.  Too much fiddling around getting ready to make a cut.  Just grab a saw or chisel or plane and get to work.  The 1/4" drill was also a present from the old man - but only because he got it on sale for 5.00. Grin  He never owned a power drill of his own. Hand drills and a brace was much faster and easier to use in his opinion.  Sometimes, we substitute power tools for real skills.  I'm as guilty as the next, but at least I know one person who didn't need all those fancy thingamabobs to get the work done.

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Administrator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #14 - Feb 22nd, 2012 at 1:31am

John,

i have my grandfathers hand drill, got it from my father who had it stored in a tool chest he made before he went into the navy.  slightly rusty, but still works good.  like you, i love their old tools and cherish them.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print