Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Finally Building a Shop! (Read 25,653 times)

Richard Beversdorf

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island, South Carolina, USA
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Finally Building a Shop!
Mar 1st, 2012 at 10:18pm

My wife has finally given her blessings on converting a shed we have into a workshop!  smilies=bowdown So my son and I have been busy cleaning it out and getting it ready for construction. Here are some pics---if I can get them to work.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

The shed is 24'x16' open at both ends with about a 10 foot ceiling.  Overall the structure is in pretty good shape, but there's still a lot of work to do in order to make it a suitable workshop.  With the exception of the shell, I’m pretty much starting from scratch.

I’ve never built a real workshop before and have been brain storming a bit.  Here’s what’s on the plans so far.  Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

Electrical: 
120V outlets at 4 foot centers all the way around, a couple in the ceiling and couple outside.
220V outlets at the lathe station, table saw, air compressor and maybe a couple more in key locations.
Eight 2x4 foot ceiling lights, may take it to six.  But I like lots of light.
Flood lights at the front and back.

Structural:
Put a 32” door at the front and a double 6 foot door at the rear.
Pour a new pad on top of the existing.  (The existing is sloped to the open areas and done rather roughly.) 
Add a couple of lean-to/closets on either end to house dust collector and air compressor.
Put electric conduit to table saw and dust collector duct under new slab
Add about 12 feet of work counter space with storage below and overhead cabinets.
Add pull down stairs and attic storage
Insulate and sheet rock.
Run air compressor pipe to a couple locations inside the shop.

HVAC:
Add a mini-split system heat pump.
Put a filtered return between the dust collector closet and shop

Again, any advice is appreciated.
smiley=dankk2.gif
Thanks!

I've fallen into the vortex and been nicknamed "Wood Doctor" by a Mississippian!  Life is good!
Richard Bachman eversdorf  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill, South Carolina, USA
Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Re: Finally Building a Shop!
Reply #1 - Mar 1st, 2012 at 10:50pm

That's gonna be a nice shop... BUT... I don't think I'd run my dust collector duct under new slab, ya might get something hung and need access to it to clear the blockage.

Wizzy

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #2 - Mar 1st, 2012 at 11:50pm

I have to agree with Wizzy on that. (Scary, isn't it?)  Run the overhead with drop downs.  Clogs are easier to clear, and it won't cause a weak strip along the slab.

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #3 - Mar 2nd, 2012 at 12:19am

Jim you and Wizzy have a good point there---I mean, as long as Wizzy isn't one of those Clemson people Grin  LOL.  I was trying to think of a way to keep the dust collection from interfering with the table saw.  But I may just have to deal with it.

It's a good point about a weak spot in the slab.  I'd have to chop a trench out of the old slab to get it low enough not to worry about.  I wasn't looking forward to that, and I'm hoping to get the slab in next week before I head off to John Campbell.

I've fallen into the vortex and been nicknamed "Wood Doctor" by a Mississippian!  Life is good!
IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill, South Carolina, USA
Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #4 - Mar 2nd, 2012 at 2:17am

Jim's idea is about the best if you want it out of the way, up high along the wall with drops to each machines with shut offs. Jim loves me, he just hates to admit it.   Kiss Kiss Kiss      Cool
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2012 at 2:18am by Mike Baber »  

Wizzy

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Administrator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #5 - Mar 2nd, 2012 at 2:42am

i would change that 32" door to a 36".  the extra 4" will be a blessing, even though you have a double 6' in the back.

sheet rock the ceiling, but put plywood on the walls.  that way you can hang most anything without having to find a stud.  minimum of ½", ¾" would be best.  you can paint it white for light reflection.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #6 - Mar 2nd, 2012 at 4:37am

If that was me doing it I would have a detail plan on how to set it up. Grizzly had a free shop planner but I couldn't find it anymore. I guess they got rid of it. Once you know exactly where you want the machines then you can plan for DC & elect & ???

If you can afford it the sprayable expandable foam insulation if not then go for the blown in cellulose. It will help a lot to keep you warm & cool.

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Bill Schoppert

WR Rocks!

Issaquah, WA, Washington, USA
Issaquah, WA
Washington
USA

Reply #7 - Mar 2nd, 2012 at 7:17am

Nice sized shop. Just a thought for the future. I would frame the open end for a garage door. Only takes a little more framing and then a roll up could be put in at any time. When this is done you will be a happy camper.  smiley=thumbsup.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif

Bill Schoppert  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Richard Beversdorf

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #8 - Mar 2nd, 2012 at 8:48am

Chuck Beland wrote on Mar 2nd, 2012 at 4:37am:
If that was me doing it I would have a detail plan on how to set it up. Grizzly had a free shop planner but I couldn't find it anymore. I guess they got rid of it. Once you know exactly where you want the machines then you can plan for DC & elect & ???

smiley=thumbsup.gif Chuck, I'm already there!  Here's the link.  They hid it down on the left hand side.  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Guy Bratt
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Richmond, Michigan, USA
Richmond
Michigan
USA

Robust American Beauty
Rikon 70-100
Reply #9 - Mar 2nd, 2012 at 1:50pm

Think about moving the outlets up or down from 48" center to 48 top or bottom and save cutting two sheets of wall board.
   My lathe sits a few feet from the wall and centered in the shop, same for my table saw on the other end.  For these I have cords from the ceiling plugged into outlets and the cords supported by Kellem grips, a chinese finger type grip from an electrical supply.

Old, Fat,n Ugly...I shed 100 pounds this year.  Still old.  Still ugly. But what can you do at this age?
You know? If you knew me you'd see my avatar and I really look a lot alike.

IP Logged

Joseph Schlawin

WR Rocks!

Crown Point, Indiana, USA
Crown Point
Indiana
USA

Reply #10 - Mar 2nd, 2012 at 5:57pm

If you're going to be pouring a slab over what you have, consider putting down foil bubble wrap and PEX tubing.  Even if you don't use it right away, its there.  I have a friend who hooked up a solar panel to the PEX.  It didn't bring the shop up to full temp but helped a lot.

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #11 - Mar 2nd, 2012 at 10:54pm

Great ideas, guys!  Keep 'em coming!

Thanks!!!

RB

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #12 - Mar 3rd, 2012 at 5:36am

Richard,
I tried to use their shop planner myself. It said the space was to small to plan.  Embarrassed

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #13 - Mar 3rd, 2012 at 1:36pm

I had it all planned out using the Grizzly planner, then the 'puter went kaput.  The dog (and me Roll Eyes) tripped over the power cord a few too many times and broke the side plug on the laptop.

So I spent all morning tearing the thing down Huh, soldering, stealing parts from other dead machines and getting it back on line.  And it works!  Who'd a figured?!?!. smiley=lolk.gif

Back to the drawing boards!

IP Logged

Nate Davey
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Albuquerque, NM, New Mexico, USA
Albuquerque, NM
New Mexico
USA

Reply #14 - Mar 3rd, 2012 at 2:59pm

Have you considered making a small room for finishing.  Everyone who has one says it the best, keeps all the dust off your wet finishes.

I would put every other outlet on one breaker and the rest on another.  Same with the lights.  That way, if you need to work on the outlets or lights you only lose half at a time. 

Totally agree with not burying the duct in the floor.

Get some white masonite from the box store to put over the plywood behind and above your lathe.  Makes cleaning up wet wood spray easier and gives you plenty of white board space for notes.

You're a lucky man, keep this post up to date so we can follow your progress.
« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2012 at 3:01pm by Nate Davey »  

When you start a project you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 13
Send Topic Print