Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Finally Building a Shop! (Read 25,662 times)

David Hamann
WR Administrator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Re: Finally Building a Shop!
Reply #120 - Apr 17th, 2012 at 7:55pm

LUCK smiley=thumbsup.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island, South Carolina, USA
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #121 - Apr 17th, 2012 at 10:02pm

David Hamann wrote on Apr 17th, 2012 at 7:55pm:
LUCK smiley=thumbsup.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif

Thanks David!  Things are moving and with the help of my son, we were able to get the first coat of ceiling paint on tonight.  I hate painting and thankfully my son did most of the hard work.  Only one more coat!  The the walls, the floor, the trim.  I hate painting! LOL

I've fallen into the vortex and been nicknamed "Wood Doctor" by a Mississippian!  Life is good!
Richard Bachman eversdorf  
IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Administrator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #122 - Apr 17th, 2012 at 10:56pm

i am with you, i hate painting.  the only thing worse then painting is wallpaper. smiley=doh.gif smiley=doh.gif

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #123 - Apr 18th, 2012 at 3:03am

Ditto, what Dave said on the painting & paper.  Grin

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #124 - Apr 18th, 2012 at 6:42am

And drywall, don't leave out smearing mud and tape on drywall. bang head

I've fallen into the vortex and been nicknamed "Wood Doctor" by a Mississippian!  Life is good!
IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Administrator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #125 - Apr 18th, 2012 at 7:48pm

Richard Beversdorf wrote on Apr 18th, 2012 at 6:42am:
And drywall, don't leave out smearing mud and tape on drywall. bang head

i don't mind hanging and taping.  i hate sanding. bang head

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill, South Carolina, USA
Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #126 - Apr 18th, 2012 at 9:31pm

Painting I don't mind, use to do it for a living, but "drywall..." no way baby, I want nothing to do with it! Smiley

Wizzy

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Richard Beversdorf

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #127 - Apr 19th, 2012 at 6:51am

Mike Baber wrote on Apr 18th, 2012 at 9:31pm:
Painting I don't mind, use to do it for a living, but "drywall..." no way baby, I want nothing to do with it! Smiley

Really?  I have no idea how professional painters can get done so much so accurately so quickly.  Especially that very first coat when the drywall just (edited out) up paint. smilies=bowdown  Sure the label on the can says "300 to 600 sq.ft."  They must not know about the sponge like properties of new walls. smiley=doh.gif

Anyway, the ceiling is done and I started cutting in for the walls.  I purchased two different little cut in pad and roller things that are supposed to make this an easy task.  They lie. smiley=shake head.gif  I was better off taking my time and free-handing it.

Thankfully a painter is coming today to spray the T-111.  Or rather, I am "told" a painter will be here today!  LOL!!!

I should be able to start on the floor tomorrow.  That's the plan anyway!  Can I use muriatic acid and water to etch the concrete floor, or do I need to buy the expensive floor etching stuff to prep things first? 

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #128 - Apr 20th, 2012 at 7:35pm

Well, the painter never showed up yesterday!  smiley=shake head.gif So after work I just decided to (edited out) it up and do it myself. Embarrassed  I got the first coat on the walls and started prepping the trim last night.  Trying to get the second coat on and trim done tonight and tomorrow. 

Once again, I hate painting.  bang head My back is sore, my wrists are sore, I'm sore, AARRGGGHHH!!!!!    Cry

If it wasn't so funny I'd be mad.  But it will be worth it when done!  God is making me learn patience with this one.  I'm take it in that vein and smile my way through.

Good news is that the lights are in and they really do light up the place nicely.

IP Logged

Len Layman
WR Addict

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Reply #129 - Apr 20th, 2012 at 8:38pm

Richard Beversdorf wrote on Apr 20th, 2012 at 7:35pm:
God is making me learn patience with this one. 

Head bowed in prayer, " Dear God, please give me patience, and give it to me RIGHT NOW!!"  Smiley

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill, South Carolina, USA
Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #130 - Apr 20th, 2012 at 10:48pm

Good news is that the lights are in and they really do light up the place nicely.

What did you come up with on the light over your lathe and since your doing the painting now, I'm guessing your paying yourself now and will walk the supposed to be painter off your property if he shows......
smiley=lolk.gif smiley=lolk.gif smiley=lolk.gif

Wizzy

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #131 - Apr 21st, 2012 at 10:14am

Mike Baber wrote on Apr 20th, 2012 at 10:48pm:

What did you come up with on the light over your lathe and since your doing the painting now, I'm guessing your paying yourself now and will walk the supposed to be painter off your property if he shows......
smiley=lolk.gif smiley=lolk.gif smiley=lolk.gif

I still don't know what happened to the painter.  He may be in jail again. smiley=doh.gif

Lighting has been a WIN!  Here's what I've done:

The main woodworking area has four 8-foot long High Output T-5 fixtures.  These are BRIGHT and provide roughly 180 foot candles at the work surface.  I'll add another 2-lamp High output T-5 fixture directly over the lathe.  I added a switched outlet high on the wall to facilitate this.

All my lamps are 5,000k color.  This provides a nice white light without getting too blue.

A little note on the T-5 high output lamps.  These things are BRIGHT and toss out a LOT of light.  They are also very energy efficient.  Unfortunately, the fixtures and lamps are a bit on the pricey side in the local Home Depot/Lowes stores.  If you think you'll get the extra cost back in energy savings---forget it.  It's not worth the investment.  However, the lamps do last longer (24,000 hours) and the light output is incredible (4800 sustained lumens each compared to 2700 for a good T-8 lamp.) Each tube is a 54 watts and more efficient than the regular T-8's when you compare output to energy costs. I found lamps online at 1/3rd the cost of Home Depot. 

The attic storage area has two 4' T-8 fixtures.  Same for the front entry, rear door and the dust collector closet.  The T-8's cost less, I don't need the extra light output and they won't be used that much.

OH!  On the attic storage.  I put in two access doors/holes in the ceiling---one on each end.  There is a two-way switch at each.

I hope to have pictures up soon.  Back to wiping the walls with paint! bang head

IP Logged

Bill Schoppert

WR Rocks!

Issaquah, WA, Washington, USA
Issaquah, WA
Washington
USA

Reply #132 - Apr 21st, 2012 at 3:06pm

Your shop is going to be amazing. I will have to agree with you that dry walling and painting (edited out) big time. I still do it all myself but it still isn't any fun. T-5s are very nice lights but like you say are a little more money.  smiley=beer.gif Here's to your happy turning in the near future.

Bill Schoppert  
IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #133 - Apr 21st, 2012 at 8:11pm

Well, the painting is done except for the doors.  I also cleaned and scraped and mopped the floor, then acid etched it.  Tomorrow the floor primer and paint go on if all goes as planned.

Here's a picture right after I finished mopping earlier.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Nate Davey
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Albuquerque, NM, New Mexico, USA
Albuquerque, NM
New Mexico
USA

Reply #134 - Apr 21st, 2012 at 8:57pm

Man that is going to be a nice space.  Very jealous right now

When you start a project you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13
Send Topic Print