Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Finally Building a Shop! (Read 18,837 times)

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island, South Carolina, USA
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Finally Building a Shop!
Mar 1st, 2012 at 10:18pm

My wife has finally given her blessings on converting a shed we have into a workshop!  smilies=bowdown So my son and I have been busy cleaning it out and getting it ready for construction. Here are some pics---if I can get them to work.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

The shed is 24'x16' open at both ends with about a 10 foot ceiling.  Overall the structure is in pretty good shape, but there's still a lot of work to do in order to make it a suitable workshop.  With the exception of the shell, I’m pretty much starting from scratch.

I’ve never built a real workshop before and have been brain storming a bit.  Here’s what’s on the plans so far.  Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

Electrical: 
120V outlets at 4 foot centers all the way around, a couple in the ceiling and couple outside.
220V outlets at the lathe station, table saw, air compressor and maybe a couple more in key locations.
Eight 2x4 foot ceiling lights, may take it to six.  But I like lots of light.
Flood lights at the front and back.

Structural:
Put a 32” door at the front and a double 6 foot door at the rear.
Pour a new pad on top of the existing.  (The existing is sloped to the open areas and done rather roughly.) 
Add a couple of lean-to/closets on either end to house dust collector and air compressor.
Put electric conduit to table saw and dust collector duct under new slab
Add about 12 feet of work counter space with storage below and overhead cabinets.
Add pull down stairs and attic storage
Insulate and sheet rock.
Run air compressor pipe to a couple locations inside the shop.

HVAC:
Add a mini-split system heat pump.
Put a filtered return between the dust collector closet and shop

Again, any advice is appreciated.
smiley=dankk2.gif
Thanks!

I've fallen into the vortex and been nicknamed "Wood Doctor" by a Mississippian!  Life is good!
Richard Bachman eversdorf  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill, South Carolina, USA
Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Re: Finally Building a Shop!
Reply #1 - Mar 1st, 2012 at 10:50pm

That's gonna be a nice shop... BUT... I don't think I'd run my dust collector duct under new slab, ya might get something hung and need access to it to clear the blockage.

Wizzy

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #2 - Mar 1st, 2012 at 11:50pm

I have to agree with Wizzy on that. (Scary, isn't it?)  Run the overhead with drop downs.  Clogs are easier to clear, and it won't cause a weak strip along the slab.

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #3 - Mar 2nd, 2012 at 12:19am

Jim you and Wizzy have a good point there---I mean, as long as Wizzy isn't one of those Clemson people Grin  LOL.  I was trying to think of a way to keep the dust collection from interfering with the table saw.  But I may just have to deal with it.

It's a good point about a weak spot in the slab.  I'd have to chop a trench out of the old slab to get it low enough not to worry about.  I wasn't looking forward to that, and I'm hoping to get the slab in next week before I head off to John Campbell.

I've fallen into the vortex and been nicknamed "Wood Doctor" by a Mississippian!  Life is good!
IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #4 - Mar 2nd, 2012 at 2:17am

Jim's idea is about the best if you want it out of the way, up high along the wall with drops to each machines with shut offs. Jim loves me, he just hates to admit it.   Kiss Kiss Kiss      Cool
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2012 at 2:18am by Mike Baber »  

Wizzy

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #5 - Mar 2nd, 2012 at 2:42am

i would change that 32" door to a 36".  the extra 4" will be a blessing, even though you have a double 6' in the back.

sheet rock the ceiling, but put plywood on the walls.  that way you can hang most anything without having to find a stud.  minimum of ½", ¾" would be best.  you can paint it white for light reflection.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #6 - Mar 2nd, 2012 at 4:37am

If that was me doing it I would have a detail plan on how to set it up. Grizzly had a free shop planner but I couldn't find it anymore. I guess they got rid of it. Once you know exactly where you want the machines then you can plan for DC & elect & ???

If you can afford it the sprayable expandable foam insulation if not then go for the blown in cellulose. It will help a lot to keep you warm & cool.

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Bill Schoppert
WR Champion

WR Rocks!

Issaquah, WA, Washington, USA
Issaquah, WA
Washington
USA

Reply #7 - Mar 2nd, 2012 at 7:17am

Nice sized shop. Just a thought for the future. I would frame the open end for a garage door. Only takes a little more framing and then a roll up could be put in at any time. When this is done you will be a happy camper.  smiley=thumbsup.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif

Bill Schoppert  
IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #8 - Mar 2nd, 2012 at 8:48am

Chuck Beland wrote on Mar 2nd, 2012 at 4:37am:
If that was me doing it I would have a detail plan on how to set it up. Grizzly had a free shop planner but I couldn't find it anymore. I guess they got rid of it. Once you know exactly where you want the machines then you can plan for DC & elect & ???

smiley=thumbsup.gif Chuck, I'm already there!  Here's the link.  They hid it down on the left hand side.  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Guy Bratt
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Richmond, Michigan, USA
Richmond
Michigan
USA

Robust American Beauty
Rikon 70-100
Reply #9 - Mar 2nd, 2012 at 1:50pm

Think about moving the outlets up or down from 48" center to 48 top or bottom and save cutting two sheets of wall board.
   My lathe sits a few feet from the wall and centered in the shop, same for my table saw on the other end.  For these I have cords from the ceiling plugged into outlets and the cords supported by Kellem grips, a chinese finger type grip from an electrical supply.

Old, Fat,n Ugly...I shed 100 pounds this year.  Still old.  Still ugly. But what can you do at this age?
You know? If you knew me you'd see my avatar and I really look a lot alike.

IP Logged

Joseph Schlawin

WR Rocks!

Crown Point, Indiana, USA
Crown Point
Indiana
USA

Reply #10 - Mar 2nd, 2012 at 5:57pm

If you're going to be pouring a slab over what you have, consider putting down foil bubble wrap and PEX tubing.  Even if you don't use it right away, its there.  I have a friend who hooked up a solar panel to the PEX.  It didn't bring the shop up to full temp but helped a lot.

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #11 - Mar 2nd, 2012 at 10:54pm

Great ideas, guys!  Keep 'em coming!

Thanks!!!

RB

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #12 - Mar 3rd, 2012 at 5:36am

Richard,
I tried to use their shop planner myself. It said the space was to small to plan.  Embarrassed

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #13 - Mar 3rd, 2012 at 1:36pm

I had it all planned out using the Grizzly planner, then the 'puter went kaput.  The dog (and me Roll Eyes) tripped over the power cord a few too many times and broke the side plug on the laptop.

So I spent all morning tearing the thing down Huh, soldering, stealing parts from other dead machines and getting it back on line.  And it works!  Who'd a figured?!?!. smiley=lolk.gif

Back to the drawing boards!

IP Logged

Nate Davey
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Albuquerque, NM, New Mexico, USA
Albuquerque, NM
New Mexico
USA

Reply #14 - Mar 3rd, 2012 at 2:59pm

Have you considered making a small room for finishing.  Everyone who has one says it the best, keeps all the dust off your wet finishes.

I would put every other outlet on one breaker and the rest on another.  Same with the lights.  That way, if you need to work on the outlets or lights you only lose half at a time. 

Totally agree with not burying the duct in the floor.

Get some white masonite from the box store to put over the plywood behind and above your lathe.  Makes cleaning up wet wood spray easier and gives you plenty of white board space for notes.

You're a lucky man, keep this post up to date so we can follow your progress.
« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2012 at 3:01pm by Nate Davey »  

When you start a project you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #15 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 5:57am

We definitely want pics as you do stuff. so we can drool over them.  Embarrassed

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #16 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 12:25pm

Chuck Beland wrote on Mar 4th, 2012 at 5:57am:
We definitely want pics as you do stuff. so we can drool over them.  Embarrassed

I plan on keeping a photo record of things as they progress.  It's so slow getting started, though.  If all goes well, I'll have the slab poured next week.  If not it'll have to wait until after I get back from the John Campbell class I'm taking the following week.  MY goal is to have it completed, or at least useable, by my birthday in early April.

IP Logged

Gary R Webb
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Peoria AZ, Arizona, USA
Peoria AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #17 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 1:52pm

the grizzly shop planer is great it's on there home page left side just above the request for there catalog fun to play with you can move things around till you happy then print it  smiley=thumbsup.gif   
                                  Spider

The wife said I never listen  at least thats what i think she said

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #18 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 5:14pm

Just went out today to buy the pipe and fittings for running air compressor lines.  After much thought, (and running some calc.s) I decided to go with 1/2 inch copper pipe/tubing looped around the shop with drops where I need them.  I'll tee into the loop with a 3/4" line from the compressor tank.

Copper has gotten stupid expensive, but it's a lot easier to install than black pipe and I already have all the tools I need for copper.  With black pipe I'd need cutters, threaders, etc..  Also, I won't have to worry with rust/scale with the copper and it's a lot easier to modify if I want to add on or change things later. 

IP Logged

Edward Fagnant

WR Rocks!

In transition, Rhode Island, USA
In transition
Rhode Island
USA

Reply #19 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 5:28pm

Dont forget to add water drains on drops as well. Condensation build up in the lines can ruin even the best cared for and lubricated tools.
If you are going to be doing any airbrushing or spray painting it will play havoc with oil based coatings as well.

Wish I had found this place a long time ago!

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #20 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 7:22pm

Thanks, Edward!  smiley=thumbsup.gifAlong with a separator on the main supply out of the tank and a blowdown on the tank, I plan to have a slope back to the tank and drip legs with drains.  It's probably a bit of overkill, but you only get one chance to do it right the first time. smiley=thumbsup.gif

IP Logged

Breck Whitworth
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Gulfport, Mississippi, USA
Gulfport
Mississippi
USA

PM 3520-B
Reply #21 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 10:14pm

Richard I some how missed this, what a great shop you are going to have. I agree with the 36" main entry door it won't cost but a fraction more. but will be a great blessing later. I also agree with the roll up door instead of the double doors, but of course either will serve you well. They even make insulated roll up doors that have two layers of metal filled with insulation foam. I am with you on the lighting, you can't ever get enought light. Having a painted white ceiling will help to reflect your lighting. What ever amount of light you are planning add more than you think you will need. I keep adding more 8' twin florescent lights. I still need more. Where ever you plan on putting your lathe be sure your lighting is in the best position to illuminate your work area. The Lord will bless you my friend. One more idea I used is if you know where equipment will sit and it requires electricity, and will be in the center of your shop you can sink some PVC pipe in your slab while pouring the concrete using curved elbows not right angle ones, then you can pull wire after the slab is finished and have an electrical outlet right beneath your equipment. Good Luck Brother
Breck

May the Lord Bless the work of our hands! And Necessity is the mother of invention:

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #22 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 1:18pm

Well, the guys showed up today to start the new pad and get that going.  We decided to add 6 feet to each end and close it in.  This brings the shop to 16'x36'.  In real use, it's closer to 15 feet by about 32 feet after allowances for walls and an entry way, etc.  I'm excited to finally see this thing coming to real!

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #23 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 1:55pm

Ok... Smiley so where are the NEW pictures? You know add on's and such... Grin
« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2012 at 1:56pm by Mike Baber »  

Wizzy

IP Logged

Dirk Hoogendoorn
WR Patron

either a mistake or design
opportunity

Meaford Ont., Ontario, Canada
Meaford Ont.
Ontario
Canada

Reply #24 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 5:56pm

Hi Richard, When you invited all these experts to give their advice on how they would enhance what you already had, I noticed you did not put a price in what you would charge for that. As a result you got a lot of free advice, but not so to you cause as long as they don't have to contribute financially to your project they will help you get in the financial hole with all that "free" advice(one addict helping an other). These guys are helpful aren't they. smiley=thumbsup.gif Some great ideas and you know what? after you get it all set up you are going to find that something does not fit in the way you thought it might and you will have to change it.

Good luck on the build and keep us up to date with a picture here and there.
« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2012 at 5:58pm by Dirk Hoogendoorn »  

I may be shiny, but not brand new

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #25 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 6:19pm

Dirk,
Just a friendly push down to the abyss.  Grin

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #26 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 8:02pm

Yup, I'm in the vortex and falling down into the abyss!  LOL smiley=lolk.gif

The latest "change" is that I may add a sink.  Also, the contractor said he can run the compressed air lines with plex for a lot less than I paid for the copper.  smiley=thumbsup.gif So the copper is headed back to Home Depot tomorrow.  Not that this is gonna' save me any money bang head.  I've already allocated the savings to the good folks over at Easy Wood Tools.  LOL!! Grin

Thankfully my wonderful wife is very supportive and encouraging with this endeavor.  smilies=bowdown

IP Logged

Edward Fagnant

WR Rocks!

In transition, Rhode Island, USA
In transition
Rhode Island
USA

Reply #27 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 8:29pm

Good call on the pex, Just had the thought pop in my head,"Why didnt I think of that!"  smiley=doh.gif

Wish I had found this place a long time ago!

IP Logged

Michael DeWald

What?

western NY, New York, USA
western NY
New York
USA

Reply #28 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 11:26pm

I was wondering why you didn't consider some kind of plastic with the cost of copper. I guess you did! I thought I had seem some shops with conventional cpvc plumbing being used for air, but wasn't sure. I probably would have tried it, just 'cause I'm like that.

"We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem." Douglas Adams

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #29 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 11:47pm

Pex crossed my mind, but so did pvc but you said you already got the copper. Depending on what size you run can and will make a difference on your PSI depending on how you come off your compressor. 3/4" x 10' PVC schedule 40 plain end pipe is about $2 a stick, @ 10 sticks that's $20 buck for 100' as to where a 100' of 3/4" Pex is $71.00 both from Home Depot. Your going to be cutting it anyway to insert your "T" for your drops, just add your drops every 10', so why not use PVC which is cheaper and so are their fittings... and it will do the same job. CPVC is only $53 bucks for the same amount and size tubing.

Wizzy

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #30 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 11:53pm

3/4" PVC Sch 40 is only rated for about 100PSI.

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #31 - Mar 7th, 2012 at 12:42am

Yup... so is CPVC, but I don't run my AC over 80 PSI which is plenty for blowing stuff off... IMHO and when I use my air brush, its down to 25-35 PSI... just saying...

Wizzy

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #32 - Mar 7th, 2012 at 7:30am

JimQuarles wrote on Mar 6th, 2012 at 11:53pm:
3/4" PVC Sch 40 is only rated for about 100PSI.

Jim,

I believe you may be thinking about the larger Schedule 40 sizes.  6" is right at 100psi operating pressure (cold).  Smaller sizes----1," 3/4" and 1/2" are rated for about 270, 290 and 360 respectively.  I didn't want to use PVC because much of the pipe would be exposed and over time PVC will break down if exposed to sunlight.  That and it just didn't feel right.  LOL.  But it will work.

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #33 - Mar 7th, 2012 at 1:59pm

Richard Beversdorf wrote on Mar 7th, 2012 at 7:30am:
But it will work.

I figured with it being indoors and out of the weather, it wouldn't be that much of a problem. I just checked and the Charlotte pipe, 3/4" PVC schedule 40 is rated at a Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register... but the Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register is rated only at 100 psi didn't know their was that much difference between the two, I thought like Jim, it was less.
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2012 at 2:46pm by Mike Baber »  

Wizzy

IP Logged

Michael DeWald

What?

western NY
New York
USA

Reply #34 - Mar 7th, 2012 at 2:19pm

Jim, I think the PSI figures you are quoting are for waste pipe.
Water supply pipe is usually rated much higher.

"We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem." Douglas Adams

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #35 - Mar 7th, 2012 at 7:27pm

Well, they started pouring the slab this morning around 11:30.  Just under 9 yards.  The guys are still out there smoothing things out and finishing the surface.  A week to dry and harden up, then we start closing things in---I think.  At least that's what I am told by the contractor.

It's getting more real all the time!

IP Logged

Guy Bratt
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Richmond, Michigan, USA
Richmond
Michigan
USA

Robust American Beauty
Rikon 70-100
Reply #36 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 12:05am

Articles I've read recomend against pvc for pressurized ar lines because if the pvc blows there can be shards of plastic flying.  I'd do a little more research before using pvc.  Don't know if pex is better.  Think about "Rapid Air System"  from WoodCraft Rockler or Grizzly

Old, Fat,n Ugly...I shed 100 pounds this year.  Still old.  Still ugly. But what can you do at this age?

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #37 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 4:24am

Richard,
Here's something to think about. My friend who got me into turning is a master plumber & for his air lines he ran he used The plastic pipe plumbers are using instead of copper pipe. Since yours will be open & accessible why not contact a plumber to find out the cost of the plastic pipe.

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #38 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 12:20pm

A couple more pictures of progress.  Here's the new floor getting prepped for the pour:

And the finished floor from today:

The part of the pour that was over the old pad---and covered by the existing structure roof was SLOW to dry!  The guys worked on this until 10:00 last night smoothing things out.  We ordered 9 yards, 1/2 a yard went to make a footer for a fire pit my wife has wanted for a while and the remaining 8-1/2 yards went into the floor here.  We had barely enough with no waste.  CLOSE!  In all it is now 16'x36', about 575 square feet.

I'll let it dry for a week and hopefully start closing it in a week from Monday.
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2012 at 12:22pm by Richard Beversdorf »  

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #39 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 3:44pm

Now I'm turning green, looking good their young man, don't forget to post more photos as you progress with the build! smiley=thumbsup.gif

Wizzy

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #40 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 8:29pm

Thanks, Mike!  smiley=dankk2.gif

I wish I could do more of the work myself.  But two bad disks have pretty much benched me for a lot of what I'd like to do.  Thankfully I have a strong son smiley=thumbsup.gif who doesn't mind helping out his 'ol man!  LOL!

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #41 - Mar 9th, 2012 at 5:07am

Richard,
I'm getting excited & it's not my shop.  Grin  Keep them pics coming.  smiley=beer.gif

I will admit to being a tad envious.
« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2012 at 5:07am by Chuck Beland »  

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #42 - Mar 9th, 2012 at 8:42am

Chuck Beland wrote on Mar 9th, 2012 at 5:07am:
Richard,
I'm getting excited & it's not my shop.  Grin  Keep them pics coming.  smiley=beer.gif

I will admit to being a tad envious.

Will do, Chuck!  But there won't be any pictures or work on it for a week now as I'll be out of town while some in-laws are visiting  Grin.  So while people from the North are enjoying this nice warm Southern Weather, I'll be forced from my home, camped out in the beautiful God blessed Mountains of NC and enjoying a week of peaceful quiet---just me and my son.  OH!  And we're taking a class at John Campbell while up there!

IP Logged

John Lawson
WR Supporter

Wombats rule!

Denton, Texas, USA
Denton
Texas
USA

Reply #43 - Mar 9th, 2012 at 12:59pm

Richard Beversdorf wrote on Mar 9th, 2012 at 8:42am:
..I'll be out of town while some in-laws are visiting  Grin.  ... I'll be forced from my home, camped out in the beautiful God blessed Mountains of NC and enjoying a week of peaceful quiet---just me and my son.  OH!  And we're taking a class at John Campbell while up there!

So, if I have this right, your in-laws were coming to visit so you arranged to be taking a turning class elsewhere?  Someplace nice?  Wow, talk about win-win-win! smilies=bowdown

Being well-read is not the same as knowing what you are doing.

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #44 - Mar 9th, 2012 at 1:14pm

Grin smiley=thumbsup.gif

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #45 - Mar 10th, 2012 at 6:41pm

Amazing how the timing is perfect isn't it.  Grin

Have you given any thought to using the Pex tubing the plumbers use now instead of copper tubing?
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2012 at 6:42pm by Chuck Beland »  

IP Logged

Joseph Schlawin

WR Rocks!

Crown Point, Indiana, USA
Crown Point
Indiana
USA

Reply #46 - Mar 10th, 2012 at 9:08pm

I worked in a big cabinet shop (50,000 sq feet) where they used 3/4 PVC for their air lines and ran 150lbs.  IT was built in the 80's so the ideas of using PVC might have changed.   I can understand the concern over shattering.  I've made a number of air cannons of PVC.  I wrapped the air chamber with fiberglass tape because the web sites I looked at said PVC will shatter but ABS will only split.

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #47 - Mar 10th, 2012 at 9:57pm

Just got in from the John Campbell school woodturning class by Charles Watson.  I was surprised to see that the air lines in the woodturning studio seem to be a type of plastic pipe.  It's a dark grey----darker than electrical PVC.  But, it looks like a type of PVC to me.

By the way, great class and learning a lot!

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #48 - Mar 11th, 2012 at 6:40am

Richard,
You know the drill where's our pics???

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #49 - Mar 11th, 2012 at 7:07am

Chuck, I'll try to take some today.  Also, if anyone s nterested---they told me yesterday that the school will replace their old lathes at the end of this year.  In December I believe.  The old ones will be sold off.  They are well proven (read worn) 3520 Powermatics.

Also, I am told that Powermatic will be unveiling a new lathe---or rather a new modified 4224 that incorporates a lot of the nicer functions and features of the 3520 in the larger frame.

Today We (son and I) wrap up the weekend class with Mr Watson and start a new one with Mr. Dick Sing.  We'll be Singing behind the lathe!   Grin

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #50 - Mar 15th, 2012 at 8:06pm

Chuck Beland wrote on Mar 11th, 2012 at 6:40am:
Richard,
You know the drill where's our pics???

Okay, here ya' go!  The John Campbell Folk School Woodturning "Studio uses PVC air lines!  Schedule 80.  The pics as requested and promised:

I have some pics of the school also, want to see? Grin
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2012 at 8:08pm by Richard Beversdorf »  

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #51 - Mar 15th, 2012 at 8:58pm

Where's ya trap for condensation and you know we'd love to see the pic's!!!

Wizzy

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #52 - Mar 15th, 2012 at 9:40pm

It's on the compressor!  LOL.

Here are some pics from the John Campbell Folk School Wood Turning Class.

The Class room:  Not a great picture, but you can get the feel of it.  Dust collectors, workbench & tool cabinet, air nozzles, PM 3520b lathes, lighting at each work station.  2 Wolverine sharpening jigs with Woodcraft 120-60 grit grinders.  This is about 1/3 of the entire turning studio.

A couple of pictures of the outside of the studio:

I have a few pics of the projects we've done this week also.

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #53 - Mar 15th, 2012 at 9:51pm

A watch back by Dick Sing, the instructor for this weeks class.  If you look in the background you will some Christmas Ornaments, Desk clocks and other stuff.  The watch back has 8 inlays.  The front has 3 more.

An Egg and Dick's egg chuck/holder.

« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2012 at 9:57pm by Richard Beversdorf »  

IP Logged

Larry Matchett
WR Supporter

Be One with your Tool!

Gulf Coast, Mississippi, Mississippi, USA
Gulf Coast, Mississippi
Mississippi
USA

Reply #54 - Mar 15th, 2012 at 10:06pm

What a shop.  The trap is at the bottom of pix.  I see that it is safety wired so students won't turn it on.  Probably a good idea.

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #55 - Mar 15th, 2012 at 10:47pm

Lookit all them PM's, I count 7 of em and the dust collection pipe line over head, that is one huge and NICE shop... where's the photos of what ya'll played with/made?
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2012 at 10:48pm by Mike Baber »  

Wizzy

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #56 - Mar 16th, 2012 at 6:26am

Mike Baber wrote on Mar 15th, 2012 at 10:47pm:
Lookit all them PM's, I count 7 of em and the dust collection pipe line over head, that is one huge and NICE shop... where's the photos of what ya'll played with/made?

Wizzy, there are actually TEN of them.  I think I may have mentioned 8.  But there are ten---11 if you count the Instructors.  AND they tell me they are getting NEW ones on December.  The old ones will be sold off.  I'll try to get the contact and number for the sale if anyone is interested.

IP Logged

Breck Whitworth
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Gulfport
Mississippi
USA

PM 3520-B
Reply #57 - Mar 20th, 2012 at 6:51pm

Richard I am Green with envy over you taking a class hope you learned a lot. I could use taking a class, but my inlaws are not planning a visit for quite a while.(chuckle) Your shop is progressing beautifully. Keep it up my friend
Breck

May the Lord Bless the work of our hands! And Necessity is the mother of invention:

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #58 - Mar 20th, 2012 at 10:30pm

Breck Whitworth wrote on Mar 20th, 2012 at 6:51pm:
Your shop is progressing beautifully.

Talking about progressing... wheres the new photos? Cool

Wizzy

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #59 - Mar 20th, 2012 at 11:50pm

Mike Baber wrote on Mar 20th, 2012 at 10:30pm:
Breck Whitworth wrote on Mar 20th, 2012 at 6:51pm:
Your shop is progressing beautifully.

Talking about progressing... wheres the new photos? Cool

be patient, he is being lectured by the Mrs about the importance of being at home when her parents are there. Wink Wink

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #60 - Mar 21st, 2012 at 1:00am

David Hamann wrote on Mar 20th, 2012 at 11:50pm:
be patient, he is being lectured by the Mrs about the importance of being at home when her parents are there. Wink Wink
oppss...  smiley=lolk.gif smiley=lolk.gif smiley=lolk.gif

Wizzy

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #61 - Mar 21st, 2012 at 6:30am

You guys are hilarious! 

More pictures to come soon!

I purchased a lot of lumber and electrical yesterday, ordered the doors, and expect to have things delivered today.  The contractor should start tomorrow.

Due to a wood allergy that popped up last week and kicked me hard smiley=slap.gif bang head, new dust collection and air filtration is coming as well.  (Never had a real problem before, but I ain't gonna' go through that again without a fight!).  My MD said that over time you can develop an allergy----well, I'm developing!  Wink Grin

The SawStop table saw should be in this week and a new bandsaw should arrive next week-----or, I am "told" they will be here next week.  I also ordered some maple bench tops and leg sets.  I found this was less costly than building my own, and I needed a table to have a place to build a table.   smiley=doh.gif

The vortex continues!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #62 - Mar 21st, 2012 at 7:43pm

Okay, walls are going up, lumber is delivered, contractors are showing up, checks haven't bounced and wife is happy.  Life is good and I am Blessed!  Thanks G!

IP Logged

Michael DeWald

What?

western NY
New York
USA

Reply #63 - Mar 22nd, 2012 at 12:56am

Nice. ^

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #64 - Mar 23rd, 2012 at 5:25pm

Things are starting to come together.  Tomorrow the roof gets framed and the electrical gets started.

A 6x8 closet/storage room

Front of the building with window on left and doorway on right framed in.

Back of shop with 6 foot door on right and dust collector and air compressor closet on left.

From inside the old shed looking into the back addition.  Double Doors on left, closet on right.
« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2012 at 5:31pm by Richard Beversdorf »  

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #65 - Mar 23rd, 2012 at 6:46pm

Looking good their Richard, hope you have good weather tomorrow, its been storming up our way and it was headed your way this evening. smiley=thumbsup.gif

Wizzy

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #66 - Mar 23rd, 2012 at 9:03pm

Thanks, Wizzy! smiley=dankk2.gif  I hope the rain stays off of us.  I really want to get a lot done tomorrow as we're already behind schedule about a week.  I hope to be turning in that new shop on my birthday in a couple weeks!  So getting the roof framed in and the electric run is a big goal for the weekend.   smiley=thumbsup.gif Cheesy Grin

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #67 - Mar 24th, 2012 at 2:08am

looking good Richard. smiley=thumbsup.gif

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #68 - Mar 24th, 2012 at 5:21am

That's going to be one sweet man cave.  smiley=beer.gif

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #69 - Mar 25th, 2012 at 8:27pm

Rain hit us hard and slowed things down a bit this weekend.  So, we're pushed a bit more behind schedule.  But we did get nearly everything framed and a lot of the electric pulled and the rafters in.

This shows the right side of the shop with some of the electric.  The orange is 220 and the yellow 110. 

This shows the left side of the shop, almost a mirror image of the right.

If all goes well, it'll be covered and sheeted in this time next week.  I'm very anxious!  But still a lot to get done in the next two weeks!

IP Logged

Breck Whitworth
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Gulfport
Mississippi
USA

PM 3520-B
Reply #70 - Mar 25th, 2012 at 10:22pm

I am so proud for you Richard I know how great it is to see your shop come into being. And doing it yourself whether actually building it or supervising it into existance makes it even better. But baby you haven't seen nothing yet! Wait until you start turning in there, your wife will be looking for you all the time and guess where you will be? Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #71 - Mar 26th, 2012 at 6:44am

Thanks, Breck!  We've been very blessed.  Unfortunately I had to hire most of this out.  My back is shot from pushing things too hard in the past.  So I have to take things easy to help avoid extensive disk surgery or replacement.  But I still get out there and do what I can.

Goals for this week:

Complete Framing
Complete electrical
Get siding up
Finish Attic Floor
Install Pull Down Stairs
Paint over the weekend!

Here's a draft layout I made using the Grizzly program.

Thanks again!

RB
« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2012 at 9:52am by Richard Beversdorf »  

IP Logged

John Lawson
WR Supporter

Wombats rule!

Denton, Texas, USA
Denton
Texas
USA

Reply #72 - Mar 26th, 2012 at 11:55am

Where are you going to put the pull-down stairs?  Looking at your diagram, there aren't a lot of places that don't run afoul of equipment or lighting.

I've put in pull-down stairs, and if you were thinking of doing it yourself, please think again.

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #73 - Mar 26th, 2012 at 4:44pm

John Lawson wrote on Mar 26th, 2012 at 11:55am:
Where are you going to put the pull-down stairs?  Looking at your diagram, there aren't a lot of places that don't run afoul of equipment or lighting.

I've put in pull-down stairs, and if you were thinking of doing it yourself, please think again.

John,

I think they're going near the upper right corner near the double doors.  And I've already put in a pull down stair self abuse project bang head.  I'll let the carpenter do it this time smiley=lolk.gif!   Wink Grin

IP Logged

John Lawson
WR Supporter

Wombats rule!

Denton, Texas, USA
Denton
Texas
USA

Reply #74 - Mar 26th, 2012 at 8:07pm

Make sure they don't put them in backwards!  You want to come in the double doors and straight up the stairs?

When I put them in my house in NJ, I hired my daughter's then-boyfriend to help me.  Three times as strong as me, and couldn't hammer a nail in straight to save his life.  Would get all over-excited, pound the bejeezus out of it, and we'd have to pull it and start over.  I finally got a Grizzly air palm nailer to handle the awkward ones.  It worked good.
« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2012 at 8:10pm by John Lawson »  

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #75 - Mar 26th, 2012 at 10:57pm

Everything looking pretty good their, about the only thing I would consider changing is the light fixture close to your lathe, I'd turn one parallel to the lathe and directly over the lathe, you'd get more light on what your doing that way.... just saying.

Wizzy

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #76 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 6:24am

Thanks Wizzy!  You're absolutely correct---concerned about the same thing myself.  I've ordered a flexible light with magnetic base---and fixed base option for it, but think you're right and a dedicated shop light directly over that area is going to be a plus. smiley=thumbsup.gif

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #77 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 1:29pm

I made Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register like Vaughn's for my lathe and I have Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register directly over my lathe.

Wizzy

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #78 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 6:26pm

And do you wear sun  Cool glasses when you turn?  That's a lot of light! smiley=thumbsup.gif  Grin

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #79 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 9:09pm

Richard Beversdorf wrote on Mar 27th, 2012 at 6:26pm:
And do you wear sun  glasses when you turn?  That's a lot of light!

Just my reading glass's with a safety shield and a du rag/scull cap ta keep the shaving out of what little hair I got left.  Cool
« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2012 at 9:10pm by Mike Baber »  

Wizzy

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #80 - Mar 28th, 2012 at 10:28pm

Everything is boxed in and sided.  All the new equipment arrived except for an air compressor---I figure I'll just pick up a cheap 60 gallon at Lowes.  We're still waiting on the doors as well. 

Inside we still need to add the attic flooring and lights, pull down stairs, AC/Heat, finish electric, insulate, install lights, install sink/drain/water heater.  Add wainscoting, sheet rock, paint and move in.

Sitting in boxes are the new table saw, bandsaw, dust collector and filter.

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #81 - Mar 28th, 2012 at 10:31pm

Richard Beversdorf wrote on Mar 28th, 2012 at 10:28pm:
Everything is boxed in and sided.  All the new equipment arrived except for an air compressor

Smiley
smiley=lolk.gif smiley=lolk.gif smiley=lolk.gif smiley=lolk.gif smiley=lolk.gif smiley=lolk.gif smiley=lolk.gif smiley=lolk.gif smiley=lolk.gif smiley=lolk.gif

Got ya!!!
« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2012 at 10:31pm by Mike Baber »  

Wizzy

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #82 - Mar 29th, 2012 at 4:35am

Ditto what Wizz said.  Smiley

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #83 - Mar 29th, 2012 at 7:01am

Okay,

As requested Smiley  Pictures!

I need to take some more of the shop itself.  This is the front.  Windows arrived, but the doors are on order and expected sometime this week.  But I have doubts, seeing as this week is almost next week already.  We're also waiting on a few pieces of metal roofing that are due in next week also.

I haven't unpacked this yet.  It's a PM Air Filter, 3 hp dust collector and two 2-micron canisters.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
This is the bandsaw, it's a big 800 pound beast and they shipped it in a cage. Grin  I had no idea this thing was this big when I ordered it.  I wanted something would do all our wood turning needs as well as re-saw and flat work projects.  This should handle that. smiley=thumbsup.gif

Getting it in the shop is going to be a pain.

I don't have a picture of the table saw box.  Just imagine a big box with a posse' of smaller boxes on a pallet with the picture of a saw on it ;-D Grin smiley=lolk.gif
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2012 at 7:09am by Richard Beversdorf »  

IP Logged

Cliff De Witt
WR Devotee

DeSoto, TX, Texas, USA
DeSoto, TX
Texas
USA

Reply #84 - Mar 29th, 2012 at 9:50am

Richard Looks very nice. I hope you enjoy it very much.

The proximity to the fence gives me a start.  I once built a garage and my neighbor helped. We got done and he called the code enforcement people on me because it was 9" too close to our property line.

Turns out he was having money problems, and he figured by selling me the land necessary to move the property line 12" it would get him out of his hole.  We did not do many projects together after that.

One of my biggest fears is that my widow will sell all my toys based on what I told her I paid for them.

Matthew 25:45

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #85 - Mar 29th, 2012 at 11:31am

Cliff,

I definitely was running out of property line.  But that fence is well on my property and away from the neighbors, and the required easement.

But gee, what a jerk your neighbor was!  What happened there?  Did you have to buy some land?

IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #86 - Mar 29th, 2012 at 5:08pm

Looking good, Richard.  smiley=thumbsup.gif

...All the new equipment arrived except for an air compressor---I figure I'll just pick up a cheap 60 gallon at Lowes...

If you can swing it, I'd recommend not going cheap for your air compressor. A good one will last forever, but a cheap one will quite possibly need to be replaced down the road. You should be able to buy one good one for less than two cheap ones. Wink (It's the old saying about cheap tools costing more in the long run than good ones.) And if you've never had a large air compressor before, you might be surprised how much you use it once you get one. I know that was the case when I got mine.

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #87 - Mar 30th, 2012 at 6:59am

Vaughn McMillan wrote on Mar 29th, 2012 at 5:08pm:
Looking good, Richard.  smiley=thumbsup.gif

...All the new equipment arrived except for an air compressor---I figure I'll just pick up a cheap 60 gallon at Lowes...

If you can swing it, I'd recommend not going cheap for your air compressor. A good one will last forever, but a cheap one will quite possibly need to be replaced down the road. You should be able to buy one good one for less than two cheap ones. Wink (It's the old saying about cheap tools costing more in the long run than good ones.) And if you've never had a large air compressor before, you might be surprised how much you use it once you get one. I know that was the case when I got mine.

Vaughn, what are the better stationary 60 gallon compressors?  I was thinking of getting one from Home Depot or Lowes.

IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #88 - Mar 30th, 2012 at 12:57pm

Richard Beversdorf wrote on Mar 30th, 2012 at 6:59am:
Vaughn, what are the better stationary 60 gallon compressors?  I was thinking of getting one from Home Depot or Lowes.

Ingersol-Rand makes several in that size range that are well-reviewed. Quincy is one of the best, but they're pretty pricey. A lot of folks like Campbell Hausfeld units (which are sold under a lot of different brand names, including the Home Depot and Lowe's house brands, I believe), but I've had poor luck with the CH compressors I've owned.

One of the advantages to the better compressors is the fact that worn out parts can be replaced. Many of the cheaper compressors are essentially disposable...once they wear out, that's it. (Sort of like chainsaws.) I learned a lot by lurking on hot rodding and car rebuilding forums. Those guys use a lot of compressed air

Northern Tool is one place to do some comparison shopping:

I ended up going with an Eaton compressor. They're not as well known, but spec-wise, they seemed to have the most bang for the buck. I ended up buying one of these, but ordered it with a 60 gallon tank:

The motor and pump are much beefier than the other 5 HP compressors I was looking at. And at 19 CFM, it can easily keep up with my pneumatic sander. So far, I've been real happy with it. For a woodturning shop, it's probably a bit of overkill, but I've not regretted going overboard on the compressor. I smile every time I use it.
« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2012 at 12:58pm by Vaughn McMillan »  
IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #89 - Apr 2nd, 2012 at 9:53pm

Well, I got the estimate for the AC/Heat Pump today.   bang head  Angry Sad Undecided smiley=shake head.gif bang head

Boy did I blow that one! bang head

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #90 - Apr 2nd, 2012 at 10:10pm

Richard Beversdorf wrote on Apr 2nd, 2012 at 9:53pm:
Well, I got the estimate for the AC/Heat Pump today.   bang head  Angry Sad Undecided smiley=shake head.gif bang head
Boy did I blow that one! bang head

comfort is expensive. Wink

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #91 - Apr 2nd, 2012 at 10:14pm

That means you got to sweet talk mama some more... get to it before she changes her mind on the shop completely!!! Grin

Wizzy

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #92 - Apr 3rd, 2012 at 6:58am

That's very true.  But Joanie's been very generous and good natured about the entire adventure smilies=bowdown.  I was in pretty good shape until the AC/Heat pump came in a grand over budget.   bang head

I was hoping that a less expensive mini-split AC system would work.  But there were a few too many complications that could cause problems.  That and I've read some less than complimentary reviews about them.  So I decided to go with a more conventional split system.  In the long run this is a better choice.

Right now we're about a week behind schedule.  The electric is all run and the mains were pulled yesterday.  Roofing should be completed by Thursday and the thing rocked in by Friday.  If that happens, I can start painting over the weekend.

IP Logged

Breck Whitworth
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Gulfport
Mississippi
USA

PM 3520-B
Reply #93 - Apr 3rd, 2012 at 4:23pm

Regardless of any set backs just remember this is your turning Castle! A dream come true. You get what you pay for, good stuff never come cheap IMHO, unless it is given as a gift.  smiley=lolk.gif

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #94 - Apr 3rd, 2012 at 7:31pm

So true, Breck!  It's just a bit aggravating. But had I known in advance, I'd have budgeted for it anyway, so is there really any loss other than the frustration?  Not really, other than losing time being frustrated.

The electric runs were completed today and the box wired, breakers are in! 

Attic flooring, completing the roof, AC/Heat and maybe installing windows and doors are planned for tomorrow.  Thursday the insulation and drywall is 'supposed" to go in.  At least that's the plan!

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #95 - Apr 4th, 2012 at 7:11pm

No AC, only half the roof work got done and the waste pile is building up.  Getting further and further behind schedule.

Time to improve contractor moral.  I'll do this with a few encouraging words and by withholding payment until things are back on schedule Wink

The attic flooring was completed---an hour job that took all morning.  It appears that a new guy brought in to help speed things up slowed down the other two that were actually getting things done.

Suffice it to say, I'm not a happy camper (hang on, more cliche's coming).  I may be reading the riot act tomorrow morning.  Time to kick this thing into gear, get a move on, light a fire under them, show my A, have a hissy fit, show 'em who's boss----LOL  Grin Grin Grin smiley=dankk2.gif smiley=lolk.gif

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #96 - Apr 4th, 2012 at 10:09pm

just tell them either get with the program or you will bring in Mike Holmes and crew. Wink

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #97 - Apr 4th, 2012 at 10:37pm

Tell em either do what you were hired to do or you'll replace them, theirs plenty of other contractors out their looking for work ya know... and your crew knows that! No work... No Pay!

Wizzy

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #98 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 6:31am

Yeah, that approach starts this morning! Angry

IP Logged

Guy Bratt
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Richmond, Michigan, USA
Richmond
Michigan
USA

Robust American Beauty
Rikon 70-100
Reply #99 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 3:21pm

I saw a cartoon once, the caption asked who has no concept of time?  answer was a pic of a disheveled man on a desert island  and a building contractor.
  Threats of termination might work.  I'd try pizza and pop for lunch and some good natured prodding.  I always felt appreciated when the boss bought lunch.

IP Logged

Art Smith

WR Rocks!

Sarasota, Florida, USA
Sarasota
Florida
USA

Reply #100 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 6:22pm

Just mention in passing that you're planing on a huge party with lots of beer and high quality steaks on the barbie when the shop gets done, and that they are all invited.  smiley=beer.gif

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #101 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 11:02pm

Art Smith wrote on Apr 5th, 2012 at 6:22pm:
they are all invited.

But only if it gets done on time!   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #102 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 7:30am

Nice didn't work with these guys.  And on time was supposed to be today.  They won't make it.  smiley=shake head.gif They need to insulate, put up all the dry wall, lights, connect the electric, install all the outlets, run the trim work.

So there goes having it done by my birthday! Cry

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #103 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 11:02am

Sorry to hear that Richard, I know you were looking forward to getting in their and doing some turning.

Wizzy

IP Logged

Breck Whitworth
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Gulfport
Mississippi
USA

PM 3520-B
Reply #104 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 11:57am

I agree hold the money completely out of their reach until they comply with agreed upon progress. The money is the only thing some contractors are interested in or worried about. No money usually motivates the unmotivated. smiley=lolk.gif

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #105 - Apr 7th, 2012 at 5:13pm

Well, holding money has a way of working.  So does removing lazy, non-productive workers who tend to pad their hours on top of goofing off all day. 

Drywall is in, the area is being cleaned up a bit and even the owner is working today to help catch up.

Maybe by the end of next week?

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #106 - Apr 14th, 2012 at 12:30am

the suspense is keeping me on edge.  what is going on??  need pictures! Embarrassed Embarrassed

IP Logged

Guy Bratt
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Richmond, Michigan, USA
Richmond
Michigan
USA

Robust American Beauty
Rikon 70-100
Reply #107 - Apr 14th, 2012 at 9:31am

yep yep where's the pics    smiley=lolk.gif

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #108 - Apr 14th, 2012 at 6:19pm

I've been checking the news down that way and I haven't seen any killings so something good must be going on...  smiley=lolk.gif smiley=lolk.gif smiley=lolk.gif

Wizzy

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #109 - Apr 14th, 2012 at 10:10pm

Worker's rebellion after he cut off the money.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #110 - Apr 14th, 2012 at 10:48pm

JimQuarles wrote on Apr 14th, 2012 at 10:10pm:
Worker's rebellion after he cut off the money.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Didn't see that in the news either...  smiley=lolk.gif

Wizzy

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #111 - Apr 15th, 2012 at 5:35pm

Hey Guys, I was out of town on business all last week and this weekend I had to cater to She that be in charge! So, I didn't have a chance to take any pictures or provide an update.

The walls are all up, the drywall is in, and the doors and windows are on---with the exception of a closet door.  The drywall guys have one last sanding and then I'm ready to paint.  The outlets and lighting fixtures still need to be installed and the AC/Heat Pump needs connected and completed.  Hope to be moving tools in next weekend if the painting and electric can get finished.

Front of shop.  Still need to add some plants once the construction guys clean up and the painting is done.

Back of building with the air compressor lean-too on the left.

Inside of shop with dust collector closet on back right.

Dust collector closet

Front room--probably a finish/storage room eventually.
« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2012 at 5:37pm by Richard Beversdorf »  

IP Logged

John Lawson
WR Supporter

Wombats rule!

Denton, Texas, USA
Denton
Texas
USA

Reply #112 - Apr 15th, 2012 at 7:04pm

Wow!  That looks really nice!  Can't wait to see it with tools.

IP Logged

Len Layman
WR Patron

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Reply #113 - Apr 15th, 2012 at 7:40pm

Your "dust collector closet" is bigger than my shop. Grin Cry bang head

Looking good. smiley=thumbsup.gif

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #114 - Apr 15th, 2012 at 9:15pm

looking great. smiley=thumbsup.gif

i'm jealous Cry Cry Cry

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #115 - Apr 16th, 2012 at 8:34pm

WoW... that's nice, its coming right along, I know your excited about getting your tools and machines in their right away. smiley=thumbsup.gif

Wizzy

IP Logged

Breck Whitworth
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Gulfport
Mississippi
USA

PM 3520-B
Reply #116 - Apr 16th, 2012 at 9:04pm

No I am not Jealous at all, No not even one tiny bit, no way, I can't imagine how wonderful it must be to know you are going to be a wood turner before you build your dream shop. To actually be able to plan for the necessities of wood turning before you jump into the vortex is an incredible blessing. If I had only known I was going to be a wood turner back when I was in the money (chuckle) teacher's salaries are so substantial, but I digress. The things I could have already acquired and have built. You are actually getting to do that, Smiley I know you are pumped!!!

IP Logged

Len Layman
WR Patron

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Reply #117 - Apr 16th, 2012 at 9:31pm

Breck Whitworth wrote on Apr 16th, 2012 at 9:04pm:
No I am not Jealous at all

Brent.  You may have fooled some of the people here but not me. smiley=shake head.gif smiley=shake head.gif 

I know better.   Grin Grin  your a jealous as I am. bang head

I am happy for him.   smiley=beer.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #118 - Apr 17th, 2012 at 3:01am

I'm not jealous I'm envious.  Grin

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #119 - Apr 17th, 2012 at 7:16am

LOL smiley=lolk.gif

You guys are something else (in a good way)!  Keep the laughter coming!  Cheesy

I'm very fortunate and have wanted a shop like this for a LOOOOONNGGGG time.  Last time I had a "shop" set up it was in an already over crowded and undersized garage.  All the equipment had to be on wheels.  I even had ATV's, bikes, motorcycle, miscellaneous junk, etc. stored (piled) on top of a 8' by 12' trailer.  I could pull the trailer out of the garage and set up shop.  At night I had to move everything back in to avoid nasty letters and fines from the HOA.

There was no 220 VAC, and the circuits would only tolerate one machine at a time----and often not that.  I moved and all my equipment has been stored in a barn since then.

That is, until my son started pulling stuff out to play with.  Then the vortex began!  So this is a BIG improvement.  I'm very blessed and can only thank the Good Lord for a wife that makes it all possible---and allowable!

As for updates, I am told (AGAIN) that electrical will be connected today.  The painter comes on Thursday to start the outside and the drywall guys still need to finish sanding.

If I can get electrical today, I'll get the ceiling painted tonight so that the AC/Heat guy can finish his stuff tomorrow.

But my MAIN goal today is to get very insistent on the final smaller things that have to be completed.

Wish me luck! 
« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2012 at 7:19am by Richard Beversdorf »  

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #120 - Apr 17th, 2012 at 7:55pm

LUCK smiley=thumbsup.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #121 - Apr 17th, 2012 at 10:02pm

David Hamann wrote on Apr 17th, 2012 at 7:55pm:
LUCK smiley=thumbsup.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif

Thanks David!  Things are moving and with the help of my son, we were able to get the first coat of ceiling paint on tonight.  I hate painting and thankfully my son did most of the hard work.  Only one more coat!  The the walls, the floor, the trim.  I hate painting! LOL

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #122 - Apr 17th, 2012 at 10:56pm

i am with you, i hate painting.  the only thing worse then painting is wallpaper. smiley=doh.gif smiley=doh.gif

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #123 - Apr 18th, 2012 at 3:03am

Ditto, what Dave said on the painting & paper.  Grin

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #124 - Apr 18th, 2012 at 6:42am

And drywall, don't leave out smearing mud and tape on drywall. bang head

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #125 - Apr 18th, 2012 at 7:48pm

Richard Beversdorf wrote on Apr 18th, 2012 at 6:42am:
And drywall, don't leave out smearing mud and tape on drywall. bang head

i don't mind hanging and taping.  i hate sanding. bang head

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #126 - Apr 18th, 2012 at 9:31pm

Painting I don't mind, use to do it for a living, but "drywall..." no way baby, I want nothing to do with it! Smiley

Wizzy

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #127 - Apr 19th, 2012 at 6:51am

Mike Baber wrote on Apr 18th, 2012 at 9:31pm:
Painting I don't mind, use to do it for a living, but "drywall..." no way baby, I want nothing to do with it! Smiley

Really?  I have no idea how professional painters can get done so much so accurately so quickly.  Especially that very first coat when the drywall just (edited out) up paint. smilies=bowdown  Sure the label on the can says "300 to 600 sq.ft."  They must not know about the sponge like properties of new walls. smiley=doh.gif

Anyway, the ceiling is done and I started cutting in for the walls.  I purchased two different little cut in pad and roller things that are supposed to make this an easy task.  They lie. smiley=shake head.gif  I was better off taking my time and free-handing it.

Thankfully a painter is coming today to spray the T-111.  Or rather, I am "told" a painter will be here today!  LOL!!!

I should be able to start on the floor tomorrow.  That's the plan anyway!  Can I use muriatic acid and water to etch the concrete floor, or do I need to buy the expensive floor etching stuff to prep things first? 

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #128 - Apr 20th, 2012 at 7:35pm

Well, the painter never showed up yesterday!  smiley=shake head.gif So after work I just decided to (edited out) it up and do it myself. Embarrassed  I got the first coat on the walls and started prepping the trim last night.  Trying to get the second coat on and trim done tonight and tomorrow. 

Once again, I hate painting.  bang head My back is sore, my wrists are sore, I'm sore, AARRGGGHHH!!!!!    Cry

If it wasn't so funny I'd be mad.  But it will be worth it when done!  God is making me learn patience with this one.  I'm take it in that vein and smile my way through.

Good news is that the lights are in and they really do light up the place nicely.

IP Logged

Len Layman
WR Patron

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Reply #129 - Apr 20th, 2012 at 8:38pm

Richard Beversdorf wrote on Apr 20th, 2012 at 7:35pm:
God is making me learn patience with this one. 

Head bowed in prayer, " Dear God, please give me patience, and give it to me RIGHT NOW!!"  Smiley

Len

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #130 - Apr 20th, 2012 at 10:48pm

Good news is that the lights are in and they really do light up the place nicely.

What did you come up with on the light over your lathe and since your doing the painting now, I'm guessing your paying yourself now and will walk the supposed to be painter off your property if he shows......
smiley=lolk.gif smiley=lolk.gif smiley=lolk.gif

Wizzy

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #131 - Apr 21st, 2012 at 10:14am

Mike Baber wrote on Apr 20th, 2012 at 10:48pm:

What did you come up with on the light over your lathe and since your doing the painting now, I'm guessing your paying yourself now and will walk the supposed to be painter off your property if he shows......
smiley=lolk.gif smiley=lolk.gif smiley=lolk.gif

I still don't know what happened to the painter.  He may be in jail again. smiley=doh.gif

Lighting has been a WIN!  Here's what I've done:

The main woodworking area has four 8-foot long High Output T-5 fixtures.  These are BRIGHT and provide roughly 180 foot candles at the work surface.  I'll add another 2-lamp High output T-5 fixture directly over the lathe.  I added a switched outlet high on the wall to facilitate this.

All my lamps are 5,000k color.  This provides a nice white light without getting too blue.

A little note on the T-5 high output lamps.  These things are BRIGHT and toss out a LOT of light.  They are also very energy efficient.  Unfortunately, the fixtures and lamps are a bit on the pricey side in the local Home Depot/Lowes stores.  If you think you'll get the extra cost back in energy savings---forget it.  It's not worth the investment.  However, the lamps do last longer (24,000 hours) and the light output is incredible (4800 sustained lumens each compared to 2700 for a good T-8 lamp.) Each tube is a 54 watts and more efficient than the regular T-8's when you compare output to energy costs. I found lamps online at 1/3rd the cost of Home Depot. 

The attic storage area has two 4' T-8 fixtures.  Same for the front entry, rear door and the dust collector closet.  The T-8's cost less, I don't need the extra light output and they won't be used that much.

OH!  On the attic storage.  I put in two access doors/holes in the ceiling---one on each end.  There is a two-way switch at each.

I hope to have pictures up soon.  Back to wiping the walls with paint! bang head

IP Logged

Bill Schoppert
WR Champion

WR Rocks!

Issaquah, WA
Washington
USA

Reply #132 - Apr 21st, 2012 at 3:06pm

Your shop is going to be amazing. I will have to agree with you that dry walling and painting (edited out) big time. I still do it all myself but it still isn't any fun. T-5s are very nice lights but like you say are a little more money.  smiley=beer.gif Here's to your happy turning in the near future.

Bill Schoppert  
IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #133 - Apr 21st, 2012 at 8:11pm

Well, the painting is done except for the doors.  I also cleaned and scraped and mopped the floor, then acid etched it.  Tomorrow the floor primer and paint go on if all goes as planned.

Here's a picture right after I finished mopping earlier.

IP Logged

Nate Davey
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Albuquerque, NM, New Mexico, USA
Albuquerque, NM
New Mexico
USA

Reply #134 - Apr 21st, 2012 at 8:57pm

Man that is going to be a nice space.  Very jealous right now

When you start a project you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".

IP Logged

Len Layman
WR Patron

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Reply #135 - Apr 21st, 2012 at 9:13pm

That is not a shop.  That is a living room.   Grin Grin

Looking good
smiley=beer.gif

Len

IP Logged

John Lawson
WR Supporter

Wombats rule!

Denton, Texas, USA
Denton
Texas
USA

Reply #136 - Apr 21st, 2012 at 11:04pm

Looks big enough for a party.  Maybe we'll all stop by at once, sort of a geezer flash mob.

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #137 - Apr 22nd, 2012 at 2:05am

coming along real nice. smiley=thumbsup.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #138 - Apr 22nd, 2012 at 5:00am

WOW I'm really envious. Your going to have a lot of fun.

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #139 - Apr 22nd, 2012 at 8:25am

Thanks, Ya'll!  It's been a lot of work for sure.  The floor painting starts today.  I'm hoping to get primer and the first coat on by this evening.

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #140 - Apr 22nd, 2012 at 10:35am

Don't get trapped in a corner.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Grin Grin

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #141 - Apr 22nd, 2012 at 11:21am

JimQuarles wrote on Apr 22nd, 2012 at 10:35am:
Don't get trapped in a corner.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Grin Grin

Thanks Jim,

Not painted into a corner yet.  But I may have trapped myself with a problem, though.  I used Behr floor paint and have now read---before the first coat is dry---that it may not be a good product.  Hopefully there won't be any issues.  The concrete is new, it's set in well now, it's been cleaned, etched and primed and it won't have cars driving on it.

IP Logged

John Lawson
WR Supporter

Wombats rule!

Denton, Texas, USA
Denton
Texas
USA

Reply #142 - Apr 22nd, 2012 at 4:26pm

Richard Beversdorf wrote on Apr 22nd, 2012 at 11:21am:
...I used Behr floor paint and have now read---before the first coat is dry---that it may not be a good product.  Hopefully there won't be any issues.  The concrete is new, it's set in well now, it's been cleaned, etched and primed and it won't have cars driving on it.

There's your problem!  Once I finish my research and start on a plan of action, I stop looking for reasons to second-guess myself.

IP Logged

Breck Whitworth
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Gulfport
Mississippi
USA

PM 3520-B
Reply #143 - Apr 23rd, 2012 at 3:58pm

Richard I have agree with John Once you have done your research and made a decision don't worry about it. No product will satisfy every customer. I painted with Behr paint on many commercial jobs and I have never had one complaint. It is a very good line of paint compared to many. There's the key you can almost alwys find something better if you are willing to pay for it. Have a great wood turning life! Man are you set up now! smiley=thumbsup.gif

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #144 - Apr 23rd, 2012 at 6:24pm

smiley=dankk2.gifThanks Breck!, You too, John! smiley=dankk2.gif

I've used Behr wall paint a good bit also and never had a problem.  I just read where others had problems with their floor paint.  So far everything looks very good.  Two thin coats are down 24 hours apart and no signs of any problems at all.  I'll let it dry a couple days and start moving the gear in! smiley=thumbsup.gif

IP Logged

Breck Whitworth
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Gulfport
Mississippi
USA

PM 3520-B
Reply #145 - Apr 23rd, 2012 at 9:26pm

One thing if you can be patient! Which I am not, give your floor paint plenty of time to fully cure before you start dragging everything in. Depending on temp and humidity floor paint really needs to fully cure to reach optimum strength. Just a thought. smiley=thumbsup.gif

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #146 - Apr 23rd, 2012 at 9:40pm

You and me both!  smiley=beer.gif And, it's been raining and has cooled off here too!  46 degrees out!  So high humidity and lower temps.  My son put the second coat on today after the first dried for 24 hours.  The can says light foot traffic after 24 hours.  I'm waiting 48 and only then 'cause the air conditioning guy has to finish up.  Maybe by the weekend I'll be able to start moving in safely!  PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE  ARRRGGGHHHH  bang head bang head bang head

Dry Baby Dry!!!!
« Last Edit: Apr 24th, 2012 at 9:01am by Richard Beversdorf »  

IP Logged

Breck Whitworth
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Gulfport
Mississippi
USA

PM 3520-B
Reply #147 - Apr 24th, 2012 at 6:01pm

Richard my favorite cartoon when I was young was two  buzzards sitting on a dead limb looking out over the desert and one said to the other patience my butt I'm going to kill something.( they used a different word) But I'm like that also no patience to speak of unless absolutely necessary. It will happen very soon for you! smiley=doh.gif

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #148 - Apr 24th, 2012 at 8:46pm

Looking good their Richard... looks like some paint on ya wainscot, smiley=doh.gif You gonna paint the panels or let that go... hehehe

Wizzy

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #149 - Apr 24th, 2012 at 9:23pm

Mike Baber wrote on Apr 24th, 2012 at 8:46pm:
Looking good their Richard... looks like some paint on ya wainscot, smiley=doh.gif You gonna paint the panels or let that go... hehehe

You won't see it after the baseboard gets in---or the wood chips build up, whichever comes first.   smiley=lolk.gif Grin

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #150 - Apr 24th, 2012 at 9:47pm

I forgot about that, me believe you've done this before, just make sure you stain or paint your baseboard before you put it down, then all you got is some touch up work to do and your done! smiley=thumbsup.gif

Wizzy

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #151 - Apr 27th, 2012 at 8:12pm

Well, the first tool is in the shop!  It's a Powermatic 18" bandsaw---an 800 pound monster! 

It wasn't easy either! 

There was a lot of lift, yank, shove, push, squeeze, pray.  But it's in there and I ain't moving it again Smiley.  Well maybe just a little! Roll Eyes  LOL.

Here are some pics.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Sitting in the crate
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register On the tractor getting moved around back to the shop
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register The saw is taller than the door.  I had to tilt it almost horizontal to get it in the door and then raise it back vertical once inside.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register It's almost final resting place!  Yea!

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #152 - Apr 27th, 2012 at 8:37pm

Bet it feels good to have the first one in.  By chance did you plug it up and create just a bit of saw dust?
Cool

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #153 - Apr 27th, 2012 at 8:47pm

It does feel great!  But no wood chips yet. After we wrestled that thing into place I was too tired to lift the plug!  Grin  But with the weekend ahead of me, there's some time to start getting everything set up.  It's going to be a fun weekend! Smiley
« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2012 at 8:48pm by Richard Beversdorf »  

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #154 - Apr 28th, 2012 at 9:24pm

you lucked out having a fork lift on the tractor.  sure makes it easy moving in. smiley=thumbsup.gif

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #155 - Apr 28th, 2012 at 10:19pm

David Hamann wrote on Apr 28th, 2012 at 9:24pm:
you lucked out having a fork lift on the tractor.  sure makes it easy moving in. smiley=thumbsup.gif

I think that fork lift is a must have for a tractor!  I never knew how much I needed that thing until I got one.  The best $500 I ever spent!

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #156 - Apr 29th, 2012 at 5:09am

I can't wait to see it all done.

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #157 - Apr 29th, 2012 at 7:58am

Chuck Beland wrote on Apr 29th, 2012 at 5:09am:
I can't wait to see it all done.

Neither can I, Chuck!  But it's coming along a lot faster now.  Yesterday I assembled a new dust collector, finished putting the bandsaw together and assembled the table saw.  This afternoon I hope to move the lathe over, add a lathe work table and shop table.  That is if my back holds out!  LOL 

IP Logged

Breck Whitworth
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Gulfport
Mississippi
USA

PM 3520-B
Reply #158 - Apr 29th, 2012 at 10:04am

That bandsaw is a monster of a machine I am greeeeeen over it. Congrates on the beginning of your move in! smiley=thumbsup.gif

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #159 - Apr 29th, 2012 at 6:51pm

Breck Whitworth wrote on Apr 29th, 2012 at 10:04am:
That bandsaw is a monster of a machine I am greeeeeen over it. Congrates on the beginning of your move in! smiley=thumbsup.gif

It is a monster!  I'm waiting on some decent blades for it now.  The one that comes with it is not all that respectable.  LOL.  Here is a picture of what got done this weekend.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register The shop is beginning to come together.Still have to move a fair amount of tools in, but it's getting there.

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #160 - Apr 29th, 2012 at 10:33pm

Richard, ya done went and got fancy on us, look at that pretty crowd molding ya put up!!! Bout the only thing I see missing right now is your light or lights over the lathe, looking good their ol man, ya doing good!!! smiley=thumbsup.gif

Wizzy

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #161 - Apr 30th, 2012 at 6:50am

Mike Baber wrote on Apr 29th, 2012 at 10:33pm:
Richard, ya done went and got fancy on us, look at that pretty crowd molding ya put up!!! Bout the only thing I see missing right now is your light or lights over the lathe, looking good their ol man, ya doing good!!! smiley=thumbsup.gif

Mike, the crown is there to hide the old hurricane straps that were sticking out a bit.  The light is in a box waiting to be put up.  But there is a switched outlet for it.

I still have a combo sander, drum sander, joiner, 14" bandsaw, small lathe, router table, small refrigerator, air compressor, air lines, dust collection, cabinets and workbench to install.  My back is hurting thinking about it!  LOL smiley=lolk.gif

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #162 - Apr 30th, 2012 at 5:45pm

I would glaDLY BE IN PAIN PUTTING THEM IN A SHOP iF i HAD ONE LIKE YOURS. (sorry) I'm still green with envy.  Embarrassed

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #163 - Apr 30th, 2012 at 6:22pm

Chuck Beland wrote on Apr 30th, 2012 at 5:45pm:
I would glaDLY BE IN PAIN PUTTING THEM IN A SHOP iF i HAD ONE LIKE YOURS. (sorry) I'm still green with envy.  Embarrassed

Thanks, Chuck.  It's a fun project, even with the set backs and aggravations.  But it's a dream shop---at least for me.  I'm very thankful and blessed that I have a wife who supports this and makes it possible.

IP Logged

Breck Whitworth
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Gulfport
Mississippi
USA

PM 3520-B
Reply #164 - May 3rd, 2012 at 10:51pm

Richard your dream shop is so darn beautiful it looks like a doctor's office. So I will have to call you the Wood Doctor. So you have been officially nicknamed by a Mississippian. There is so much honor in that, that I doubt it will mean anything to anybody.(chuckle!) Have your secretary set up appointments for turning some beauties soon! smiley=lolk.gif

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #165 - May 4th, 2012 at 9:42am

Breck Whitworth wrote on May 3rd, 2012 at 10:51pm:
Richard your dream shop is so darn beautiful it looks like a doctor's office. So I will have to call you the Wood Doctor. So you have been officially nicknamed by a Mississippian. There is so much honor in that, that I doubt it will mean anything to anybody.(chuckle!) Have your secretary set up appointments for turning some beauties soon! smiley=lolk.gif

Thanks, smiley=dankk2.gif Breck! Its a very big honor  smiley=thumbsup.gifand I accept with the upmost gratitude.  I even changed my signature to celebrate the occasion.  Grin smiley=lolk.gif

IP Logged

Bill Schoppert
WR Champion

WR Rocks!

Issaquah, WA
Washington
USA

Reply #166 - May 4th, 2012 at 3:47pm

Man your shop is beautiful. Your quality of workmanship is impressive.  Can't wait to see it completely done. I'm drooling over our new bandsaw. I just about through my old bandsaw out the door the other day.

Bill Schoppert  
IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #167 - May 4th, 2012 at 4:53pm

Thanks, Bill.  That bandsaw is an 800 pound BEAST.  and I hope I never have to move it again smiley=lolk.gif

IP Logged

Breck Whitworth
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Gulfport
Mississippi
USA

PM 3520-B
Reply #168 - May 6th, 2012 at 8:35am

Wood Doc, all I know is that if that PM bandsaw works as good as the PM 3520b lathe it truly must be incredible. I'm like bill I have seen a super model of bandsaws and now mine is looking like junk. Best of luck my friend!  smilies=bowdown

IP Logged

Dean Robinson

WR Rocks!

Reply #169 - May 23rd, 2012 at 2:38pm

That appears to be a really nice shop. It must be exciting for you! I am new to this forum, but have a couple of comments if it is not too late.

I would vent the dust collection room outside with a dryer wall vent and skip the filtration for a return air. You don't want any of that air... And keeping those filters clean will empty the bank.

A powerful exhaust fan is a good idea too. You can't get too much fresh air in a shop.

You will enjoy that shop. Please post more pics when the rest of the tools are in it!

Dean

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #170 - May 23rd, 2012 at 3:42pm

Dean, the return air is necessary when you have an air conditioned or heated shop.  I know of one that had to relocate the DC back inside because they couldn't get the shop temp below 95°F in the summer if the DC was running.  It would pull more than half of the air from the shop every 5 minutes, and the A/C unit could not keep up.

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #171 - May 23rd, 2012 at 3:57pm

Jim is correct.  Also, I'm using 2 micron filters on the dust collector---not the 30 micron bags.  They're tight enough to help clean the air in the shop and with the filtered return, it will catch even more dust.

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #172 - May 23rd, 2012 at 4:07pm

Richard, we were beginning to wonder if you had fallen the rest of the way into the vortex and couldn't come up to the computer anymore.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Grin Grin

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #173 - May 23rd, 2012 at 10:36pm

Still on earth, but by a thread.  Work has been rather all time consuming and a lot of travel lately.  Just got back in tonight and have to head back out again next week.  I'm hoping to catch up on things this weekend.

Wish me luck!!!

RB

IP Logged

Charles Osborne
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #174 - May 24th, 2012 at 7:21am

I would recommend that you consider how you are going to install equipment before you put up any walls.  My lathe weighed over 500 lb delivered and was a bear to get into my back garage .  What about a jointer, planer, table saw etc.  The best of these are ALL heavy. It would be nice to have the double doors on the side where a truck could back up and drop off heavy objects.

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #175 - May 24th, 2012 at 11:05am

He doesn't have access to the sides, and he does have a double door in the rear.

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #176 - Jun 18th, 2012 at 9:27pm

I couldn't wait till June 23rd, which would have given you a full month since your last post, how are thing coming or are you still on the road to much to get anything done.

Wizzy

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #177 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 11:32am

Hi Mike!

Work has been a pain--and looks like it will continue to do so.  But some things are happening with the shop.  I was able to get the cabinets and counter top in.  Most of the equipment is moved over now and the dust collection is up and running well. I was also able to get the air filter set up and operational.  I'm hoping that I'll be able to get a new grinding station set up and working tonight.  At least that's the plan!  LOL

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #178 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 11:48pm

But where are the pictures?
Cool

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #179 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 5:47am

I'll work on getting some up soon, Rev!

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #180 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 5:24pm

good, because,  Smiley
Cool

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #181 - Jun 22nd, 2012 at 7:35pm

Rev. Doug Miller wrote on Jun 20th, 2012 at 5:24pm:
good, because,  Smiley
Cool

Never one to want to displease a spokesman of the Lord,  smiley=thumbsup.gifand having grown up Southern Baptist (1st Baptist Church of West Columbia, Pastor Dr. Lonnie H. Shull smilies=bowdown), Pastor Miller, here are the pictures of the cabinets of our new shop.  Although, having recently added up the cost of the thing, I may have to call it a "studio."  LOL  smiley=lolk.gif

The cabinets are 3/4 inch maple face plywood--full box front, back and sides, with maple veneer melamine drawers and doors.  The Counter is hard maple.

There is also my 30 year old Craftsman Drill Press standing to the side strapped to a hand truck.  Isn't it cute?  I call him "Tippy."  Tippy is evil and attacked me earlier today as he likes to fall on people when being moved!  smiley=lolk.gif bang head

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #182 - Jun 22nd, 2012 at 7:49pm

looking real good. smiley=thumbsup.gif

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #183 - Jun 23rd, 2012 at 2:46am

I am really green with envy of that man castle.  Grin   smilies=bowdown

IP Logged

Breck Whitworth
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Gulfport
Mississippi
USA

PM 3520-B
Reply #184 - Jun 23rd, 2012 at 12:01pm

Richard it is pretty for words, you have done a great job my friend. The Lord has blessed the work of your hands and the sweat of your brow. smiley=thumbsup.gif

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #185 - Jun 24th, 2012 at 7:08pm

Had an entire weekend off and to myself!  So I played a bit and caught up on long over due shop chores.  My son came over this afternoon and helped move a few more things in, and we got some organizational progress made around the turning area/station.  Still need to set up a turning tool rack, but things are coming along well.

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #186 - Jun 25th, 2012 at 12:09am

lookin good. smiley=thumbsup.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #187 - Jun 25th, 2012 at 3:18am

Ditto, looking good.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print