Edward Fagnant

WR Rocks!

In transition, Rhode Island, USA
In transition
Rhode Island
USA

Here's mine
Mar 4th, 2012 at 11:25am

Its not a "man cave", its a "testosterone factory". My lathe is a Craftsman heavy duty variable speed, that I found at a yard sale, needing a new speed control, not a motor as the seller believed. It came with a huge assortment of Knives including 9 Sorbies, and 2 dozen craftsman. Also had a couple of chucks and bowl plates. All for$75.00! I've had it for over 5 years now, and it hasnt failed me. Along with using a respirator I have a Jet double bag dust collector, along with 2 Jet air scrubbers. I turn a lot of Alaskan Yellow Ceder that can be toxic, so its better safe than sorry. I also Build rods, carve Dekes, tie flies, airbrush lures, cast jigs, build Arrows, and do small wood working projects in here.
« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2012 at 11:31am by Edward Fagnant »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register shop8.jpg (Attachment deleted)

Wish I had found this place a long time ago!

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Don Davis

Safety first!

Stillwater, Oklahoma, USA
Stillwater
Oklahoma
USA

Re: Here's mine
Reply #1 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 11:27am

$75 for that haul??? WOW!
(I hope you had a license to steal...)

IP Logged

Edward Fagnant

WR Rocks!

In transition
Rhode Island
USA

Reply #2 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 11:35am

Yeah, I almost felt guilty when I got it home, and figured out that it was only the speed dial that was malfunctioning.The tools were so dull I doubt I could have turned a stick of warm butter with them!
Heres a pic showing abut half of my custom lure collection.
When I go fishing I have a 150 quart cooler that serves as my tackle box to hold 22 Plano plastic storage boxes loaded with lures.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register shop9.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Edward Fagnant

WR Rocks!

In transition
Rhode Island
USA

Reply #3 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 11:38am

The other side of the shop showing the rod storage.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register shop6.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill, South Carolina, USA
Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #4 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 11:38am

What Don said... got anymore pictures of your shop and "tools?" Just a note, if you want to post more than one pic at a time, click on the Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register and you can add up to 4 I think it is, that way you don't have to make multi post for photos.
« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2012 at 11:47am by Mike Baber »  

Wizzy

IP Logged

Edward Fagnant

WR Rocks!

In transition
Rhode Island
USA

Reply #5 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 11:47am

I am actually starting to do a big clean up, and reorganization out there, its been a busy winter! When I get it done I will post a shot from the entry door.

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #6 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 11:57am

Very nice indeed.  smiley=beer.gif

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Michael DeWald

What?

western NY, New York, USA
western NY
New York
USA

Reply #7 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 2:44pm

The lures look they could be a lot of fun to do. Lots of color, probably a lot of quick steps. Something that you could do a little, put it down, do a little more later. With my arthritis, I need something like that too often.

"We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem." Douglas Adams

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Edward Fagnant

WR Rocks!

In transition
Rhode Island
USA

Reply #8 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 3:00pm

Mike, I started out doing a few lures in a friends shop. he didnt fish but had the equipment before I started building my collection. I am more than an avid Fisherman as you can probably see. I did start out in a "one off" style working one lure at a time from start to finish. Now I batch them, and will turn about a dozen to 20 similar lures at a time. Through drilling and rigging for weighting is easier as well as setting up the drill press is a pain when you do 1 at a time. If you are a fisherman, or know any, small pieces of what was once scrap wood are now usable. My larger stuff uses blanks 12 inches long by 1 3/4 inches square. I could put up a pictoral showing all the steps involved if there is interest? Surface ures, AKA, Poppers are the easiest to start with. Swimming plugs with metal lips can be frustrating at first, as weighting placement can be a pain to get to swim correctly. Heres a batch of blanks ready for the rigging steps.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register plugs2011a.JPG (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #9 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 3:56pm

Ed,
We would love a PDF on how you make them. Were always looking for good info to add to our library.

IP Logged

Edward Fagnant

WR Rocks!

In transition
Rhode Island
USA

Reply #10 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 4:13pm

You got it Chuck..... I will get something going this week, as I am in full on turnin getting some stuff ready for the season. I,ve been cuttin all day, and reading here during breaks. I figure at the pace I am going I will have the site pretty well reviewed over the next 5 or 6 days.
Wish I would have found the place a long time ago!
I am picking up a couple of GoPro Hero H/D's sometime in the next couple of weeks, so maybe a video upload might be an idea as well?

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Administrator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #11 - Mar 5th, 2012 at 12:32am

nice shop.  i hope you wore a mask when you stole that lathe. Wink Wink

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Edward Fagnant

WR Rocks!

In transition
Rhode Island
USA

Reply #12 - Mar 5th, 2012 at 8:52am

I LOVE yard sales! During the course of the season, I find myself driving through middle class areas of the state into the completely differant realm of reality of the super wealthy coastal communities. I am usually fishing under the cover of darkness, and am on my way home as most folks are setting up their sales. On the particular day I found this lathe I had actually stopped in because I saw fishing rods leaning against the house. I have, in the past, picked up tackle that "used to belong to Grand Dad" for a song as most folks have no idea that Grandpa's "old Junk" is actually highly sought after collector items. The rods were nothing to get excited about and I was leaving the driveway headed for the truck when I almost tripped over the lathe. There were 3 boxes next to it that contained the tools, accessories, and some turning stock,that I did not know the contents of, as they were closed at the time. I inquired about the lathe, and the woman told me that it had belonged to her Brother and he dropped it off telling her to get as close to $75 as she could. We plugged it in, and having been told that the motor was blown, I wanted to see if it wasnt some other issue. I flipped the switch and could hear the fan kick on, and the motor hum as it turned very slowly. I turned the speed dial and could tell that it was spinning freely. I called my wife, had her go on line and checked the cost of the dial. Under $10.00. I asked again what she would take for the lathe. he repeated $75. i couldn't even think about trying to under cut that price and feel good about myself. I backed the truck up and was loading the lathe into the back when she brought the boxes over. I asked what was in them? She said she didnt know but her brother told her hat they go with the machine. The first lage box I opened has the turning knives, and the Sorbey's stood out like a sore thumb. 4 of them were unused bowl tools still in the plastic sleeves. 
  When I got home, I took my Harbor Freight off the bench, and put the Craftsman there. I removed the plate, took the dial out hot wired the lathe and plugged it in. BINGO! straight to max speed. I went upstairs, went online and ordered the new dial. Went back down stairs, took the foot control from my hanging flex shaft carver and plugged the lathe into it. Used the foot control to run the lathe until the replacement prt came in and going on 7 years later, still turning strong.
As a side note I recently saw the same exact lathe on that popular classifieds web site for $450.00 with half the tools I got with mine along with a grinding machine .
Sooooooooooo, I wouldnt say I stole it, I would say I was given a very generous gift by the ignorance of strangers. smiley=thumbsup.gif

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #13 - Mar 5th, 2012 at 4:32pm

Ed,
That's a major gloat.  smiley=thumbsup.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif

Question whenever you want to get together for a BS session. I got a 10' tall surf caster pole & reel. I want you to give me a approx price I can get for it on either E-bay or Craig's list. I want to sell it. I've only used it once in 10 years.

IP Logged

Edward Fagnant

WR Rocks!

In transition
Rhode Island
USA

Reply #14 - Mar 5th, 2012 at 5:35pm

I'll be calling you soon Chuck. I am closing out a bathroom remodel tomorrow, starting a new job on Wednesday, as a foreman collecting a real paycheck for the first time in 3+ years. Friday night is the RISAA show at the Dunk, and Saturday is a kitchen tear out for a family member, side job. Finally getting busy shootin nails again. I swear to God, I will never eat another peanut butter or balogna sandwich ever again!  smiley=lolk.gif

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print