Segmented bowl (Read 1,564 times)

Lee Alkureishi
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Segmented bowl
Mar 4th, 2012 at 9:10pm

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, hi!

I've attached some pics of my attempt at a segmented bowl. I saw this technique online, I think by D.W. Montville, and I wanted to try out a similar style. The piece has a lot of problems, as do most of my turnings, but hey - that's what learning is all about Smiley

It's red cedar and plain old pine, finished with a mixture of BLO, shellac and DNA (xxxx called it "OB Shine Juice").

Problems I had:
1) the joinery is all over the place - I need to calibrate my power tools, and figure out a better way to clamp the glue-ups!
2) the form was originally going to be a tad more elegant, with a big flared rim. I broke it. Oh well.
3) Is pine known to be awful to turn? I had a terrible time with tear out, and sanding it was a nightmare (the cedar dust kept embedding in the pine, and the growth ridges became more prominent with sanding).

Thanks for looking - I look forward to posting more "perfect" turnings in future!

Lee

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register IMG_20120304_193821s.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register IMG_20120304_193841s.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Breck Whitworth
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Gulfport, Mississippi, USA
Gulfport
Mississippi
USA

PM 3520-B
Re: Segmented bowl
Reply #1 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 10:28pm

Lee I think it is great, I want to try that type of work one day. I am impressed. If this is your first effort at this, wow
It was worth the effort.
Breck

May the Lord Bless the work of our hands! And Necessity is the mother of invention:

IP Logged

Bernie Weishapl
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Goodland, Kansas, USA
Goodland
Kansas
USA

Reply #2 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 10:50pm

For a first it looks pretty good. Yes pine is a pain and has a lot of tear out. Any color wood sands right into it.

Bernie

To succeed in life, you need three things:  a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

IP Logged

Michael DeWald

What?

western NY, New York, USA
western NY
New York
USA

Reply #3 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 11:09pm

I agree, for a first shot, it's pretty darn good. We are too critical with ourselves. You've identified the problems and are working on fixes. Sounds like you are doing well to me.

"We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem." Douglas Adams

IP Logged

John Lawson
WR Supporter

Wombats rule!

Denton, Texas, USA
Denton
Texas
USA

Reply #4 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 11:54pm

Welcome, Lee!  This is WR, your turnings don't need to be perfect to post pictures here.  Please fill out more of your profile so we know a little more about you and where you are.

Being well-read is not the same as knowing what you are doing.

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #5 - Mar 5th, 2012 at 12:40am

not too bad for a first.  the more you do though, the harder it gets...ie lamination's, special shapes, what if i did it this way... Wink

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill, South Carolina, USA
Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #6 - Mar 5th, 2012 at 12:52am

Welcome Lee, glad to have ya. You have already answered most of your questions yourself. Getting your tools zeroed in is key to any segment piece. Being square, flat and having the correct angle is the main thing to a good blank. We have some great segment turners on here and I'm sure they will jump in and give you far better advice than I can give you, but that is a start.

I for one don't like pine, but its good for practicing. You need to pair your wood on hardness if you ask me, paring soft with hard will only create problems when it comes to finish cuts and sanding. The softer woods will tear much easier and sand away much faster than your hard wood.  That's a nice first attempt though, you did a good job!

Wizzy

IP Logged

Jenny Trice
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

St. Paul, MN, Minnesota, USA
St. Paul, MN
Minnesota
USA

Reply #7 - Mar 5th, 2012 at 8:10am

It takes courage to try new stuff.  This is a very nice start and great for learning and inspiration.  Not only that it is pretty!

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Robert Harper
WR Addict

WR doesn't rock, it RULES!

Salt Lake City, UT, Utah, USA
Salt Lake City, UT
Utah
USA

Reply #8 - Mar 5th, 2012 at 8:36am

I think you accomplished most of what you wanted. Yes, pine is part of your problem. the growth rings are very soft and the dormant ring is very hard. I have to be careful when handling pine because I can leave a mark with my fingernail, it tends to split easily, and tear out is a problem. I'll still turn pine but I wouldn't use it for segmented turning unless that was the only wood I used.

The big key to segmented pieces, as you've found out, is precision. One of the reasons I don't do that much. My tools are the bottom end ones that are very hard to get good, accurate cuts. Another one, I think, is that the woods used are of similar hardness. That way when you sand, you don't waste one away more than the other.

Keys to good sanding. Sandpaper is another tool. Sharpness counts. Very fresh sandpaper will cut the wood more evenly. When the paper starts to dull, it eats the growth ring leaving the dormant ring high.

I think another one to get away from the tear out would be to orient the wood so that you are turning end grain on the sides. That way you don't have to cut across the end grain where tear out is a bigger issue.

Live long, love life, and sail fast. Oh and turn fast too.
WWW Robert Harper rharper@xmission.com  
IP Logged

Dave Buckwalter
WR Supporter

WR Rocks and rolls!

Lititz, Pennsylvania, USA
Lititz
Pennsylvania
USA

Reply #9 - Mar 5th, 2012 at 10:19am

Hello Lee, welcome!, looks like you are off to a good start, pine works well for cat litter boxes, but not much else smiley=thumbsup.gif

Still trying to convince my wife that wood turning shavings is clean dirt!!

IP Logged

Larry Matchett
WR Supporter

Be One with your Tool!

Gulf Coast, Mississippi, Mississippi, USA
Gulf Coast, Mississippi
Mississippi
USA

Reply #10 - Mar 5th, 2012 at 11:00am

Wow, your first piece and two of the hardest woods to turn well.  I find that both pine and cedar are a real pain to turn but the results can be great.  Very nice first segmented piece.  Looking forward to seeing more of your stuff.

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #11 - Mar 5th, 2012 at 4:20pm

Lee,
That looks great for a first seg piece.

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Grant Wilkinson
WR Supporter

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
Canada

Reply #12 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 7:41pm

Despite all the issues you had with it, or maybe because of them - I like it. Why does every piece have to be perfect in its dimensions? Art is not about perfection. You know it's off because you were aiming for something else. Without your pointing out its flaws, I may well have looked at it as a piece of art, rather than as a piece that is geometrically off a bit.

Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #13 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 8:43pm

Robert Harper wrote on Mar 5th, 2012 at 8:36am:
The big key to segmented pieces, as you've found out, is precision.

Robert said it, but I have to say, It looks pretty good. Even with the issues you say you had, it sounds like you learned quite a lot for the first one.

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #14 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 12:06am

2 soft woods are fine, but you have cedar with its rich reds and pine that is all but white.  That red dust has no where else to go except onto that white pine. 
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print