WR Addict

The Cross Guy

Carlos, Tx, Texas, USA
Carlos, Tx
Texas
USA

My setup
Mar 13th, 2012 at 6:38pm

Here's my setup.  No full shop pics yet.  Way to much junk that needs to go before that happens, but is at least in progress.  Plenty of light and tunes.  I have a nice Delta table saw, compound mitre saw, routers, all sorts of air and power tools.  But the main focus today is my turning setup.  I'm really digging this.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register setup.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
David Hamann
WR Administrator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Re: My setup
Reply #1 - Mar 13th, 2012 at 6:40pm

nice.

post some more pic's (larger please, old eyes).  a messy shop is a sign of a loved shop. smiley=thumbsup.gif

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Len Layman
WR Addict

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Reply #2 - Mar 13th, 2012 at 8:47pm

I am with David.  More pictures, now.  We are family you don't have to clean up for us!!   smiley=beer.gif Smiley
« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2012 at 8:48pm by Len Layman »  

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

Dirk Hoogendoorn
WR Addict

either a mistake or design
opportunity

Meaford Ont., Ontario, Canada
Meaford Ont.
Ontario
Canada

Reply #3 - Mar 13th, 2012 at 9:16pm

I'm with David as well, messy shop is a loved shop. I sure like that saying so much so that I keep mine a little cluttered just so it will feel loved. smiley=beer.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif Wink

I may be shiny, but not brand new

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill, South Carolina, USA
Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #4 - Mar 13th, 2012 at 10:56pm

David Hamann wrote on Mar 13th, 2012 at 6:40pm:
a messy shop is a sign of a loved shop.

Ya'll would love my shop then... Nice start Charlie, we all had to start somewhere. smiley=thumbsup.gif

Wizzy

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #5 - Mar 14th, 2012 at 3:17am

Definitely need saome bigger pics. Also who ever has a clean shop.  smiley=slap.gif

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Charlie Zapalac
WR Addict

The Cross Guy

Carlos, Tx, Texas, USA
Carlos, Tx
Texas
USA

Reply #6 - Mar 14th, 2012 at 7:58am

I have the original pic.  I resized the pic to be smaller, to be respectful of the kind folks that let me live and learn form this place.  Didn't want to be a drivespace hog.  Here it is, resized to be just under 75K

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Setup_big.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Charlie Zapalac
WR Addict

The Cross Guy

Carlos, Tx, Texas, USA
Carlos, Tx
Texas
USA

Reply #7 - Mar 14th, 2012 at 8:00am

Here's my original, free setup.  It wasn't fancy but it worked.  I passed it along yesterday to someone that didn't have one and needed something to start with.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register old.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
David Hamann
WR Administrator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #8 - Mar 14th, 2012 at 11:48am

free is great, nice little lathe.  hold onto it, it might be worth some money to a collector. 

thank you for the larger pic's, they helped 100%.  i push the limit and try for 72 to 75 kb.  a lot of us use Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register, it is free and easy to use, and the pictures come out large.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Charlie Zapalac
WR Addict

The Cross Guy

Carlos, Tx, Texas, USA
Carlos, Tx
Texas
USA

Reply #9 - Mar 15th, 2012 at 7:45am

Too late.  I already gave it to a good friend of mine.  He's been wanting to get into turning but couldn't afford a lathe.  Besides, that's one of the reasons my shop is in the shape it's in.  I have a lot of things that might be worth something some day that's now costing me valuable shop space.  I try to remember to send someone away with something each time they visit.  I have a friend stopping by today thats about to buy his first home, that needs some tlc.  I'm going to see what he might need for his soon to be new house.

IP Logged

Walt Nollan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Hanford, California, USA
Hanford
California
USA

PM 3520A
Reply #10 - Mar 15th, 2012 at 8:41am

Everybody has to start somewhere.  My first lathe was 2"x6" Dremel.  I made a pirates cannon. still got it from 40 years ago.

IP Logged

Larry Matchett
WR Addict

Be One with your Tool!

Gulf Coast, Mississippi, Mississippi, USA
Gulf Coast, Mississippi
Mississippi
USA

Reply #11 - Mar 15th, 2012 at 7:12pm

I used an old Montgomery Wards lathe for 50 years.  Still have it and use it to teach neighborhood folks how to turn and test my newly sharpened tools.  I sometimes also use it to practice a new lathe technique.  I guess I do that because I am so comfortable turning on it.  I can only do spindles as I cannot mount anything on the drive spindle other then the spur point that is on it.  I have been unable to find anything with a 1/2 inch smooth bore, faceplate etc.  Tried a shim to use 5/8 bore stuff but could not make it run true.  I think you will find you can do a lot of stuff with the lathe in the picture.  When you outgrow it buy a new lathe but until then have fun.  Enjoy the ride in the vortex, there is no escape.  By the way a clean shop shows pride in your shop.  I sweep up every day and deep clean at least once a month.  I love walking into my shop in the morning with a clean floor, tools put away and dust settled.  Comes from my being in the aviation business for a very long time.  A clean shop is also a safe shop.  Keep up the good work you have a great work space.
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2012 at 8:23pm by Larry Matchett »  
IP Logged

Charlie Zapalac
WR Addict

The Cross Guy

Carlos, Tx, Texas, USA
Carlos, Tx
Texas
USA

Reply #12 - Mar 15th, 2012 at 8:08pm

I showed the guy I gave it to the chuck I got.  He don't have much experience turning yet but he's gonna spend more time at my place now (hopefully) and I'll show him what I know so far.  I wished he could have made it today.  I've really learned alot from Youtube, especially xxxx.  I really like him and his nature.  And of course, reading stuff here.

IP Logged

Charlie Zapalac
WR Addict

The Cross Guy

Carlos, Tx, Texas, USA
Carlos, Tx
Texas
USA

Reply #13 - Mar 21st, 2012 at 10:26pm

I just found my lathe for sale in a 1954 catalog

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #14 - Mar 21st, 2012 at 10:33pm

That isn't the catalog, that is one of Sear's how to books that they offered back in the 50's.

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print