Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Debate on Table Saw Legislation (Read 4,885 times)

Art Smith

WR Rocks!

Sarasota, Florida, USA
Sarasota
Florida
USA

Re: Debate on Table Saw Legislation
Reply #30 - May 28th, 2012 at 10:56am

As a instructor for safe work practice in the arboriculture industry, I find that the lack of training in proper use is the biggest problem. The most un-safe aspect of any power tool is that all you have to do to power one up is buy it and plug it in.No training in it's proper use required. Most folks throw away the instruction manuals with the box also.

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #31 - May 28th, 2012 at 5:55pm

I never had any type of training of using any type of wood working tool, so I read the manuals on how to operate it safely & also got some books on the use. Since I don't get complacent I don't get stupid. It might take me 3 times longer than anybody else but I use my common sense.

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Steve Rollinson

If you're like me, and
I know I am...

Gifu, Japan
Gifu
Japan

Reply #32 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 8:54pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way" -Mark Twain ...

IP Logged

Michael DeWald

What?

western NY, New York, USA
western NY
New York
USA

Reply #33 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 12:23am

Hey, I've used a snowblower on a roof! It worked just fine! It was one of those 2 cycle rubber paddle type ones that weighed about 25 lbs. I was about 25 yrs old at the time, and living at my parents, and there was no way I wanted the old man up on the roof, so i got it done fast!

"We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem." Douglas Adams

IP Logged

Tony Rozendaal
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

East Troy, WI, Wisconsin, USA
East Troy, WI
Wisconsin
USA

Robust AB
Grizzly 12x20 Midi Lathe
Delta 10x16 Mini Lathe
Reply #34 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 8:15am

Very well said!!

Rev. Doug Miller wrote on Apr 7th, 2012 at 9:55am:
What this means is:

For you who live in California, you have got to contact your state Senator and Representative, urging them to vote this bill down.  I don't mean a call into the legislative switchboard (although that would help), but contacting them directly.  If you have the time, call them and speak with them personally.  If you don't have the time to wait and to call back at a specific time, email, letters, voice mail all work well.  It is amazing how few calls those guys get.  My state rep told me that is is seldom that he is contacted at all, much less personally, concerning important bills that will effect the vast majority of the state. 

For the rest of us, the same things applies.  We must let our Senators and Representatives know what we think about bills that are coming up for vote.  If we agree with the law then let them know so that they can vote positively, or negatively if we don't agree with it.  We must keep abreast of what is going on in the capitol.  We cannot let them know our desires if we are not informed of what is taking place.

For all of us, VOTE!  It is our right and our duty.  I had a discussion with some folks the other day stating that our country is in the state it is in and laws are on the books because "We the People" didn't vote and make our voice heard.  We have assumed that our elected officials would do what we wanted them to do.  I'm saying that they do what they hear people want them to do.  If we don't tell them we are to blame.  If we don't vote for the candidate who is of like mind and moral responsibility as we are, then we are to blame. 

Let the law makers in your state know what you think and vote for those who you can agree with on the issues.  Yes I have a political party that I'm affiliated with, but if the candidate from my party does not line up with my beliefs and the other one does, then the one who lines up gets my vote.  If I don't vote at all because I don't feel either one lines up with my way of thinking, then I have no right to fuss or grumble.  No vote/no voice.  You simply get what you get. 

SO VOTE AMERICA!  LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD LOUD AND CLEAR!

As I heard on the radio, "Wake up America!"
Cool

Turnin' and learnin'

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW trozendaal  
IP Logged

Dirk Hoogendoorn
WR Addict

either a mistake or design
opportunity

Meaford Ont., Ontario, Canada
Meaford Ont.
Ontario
Canada

Reply #35 - Aug 5th, 2012 at 9:25am

JimQuarles wrote on Apr 11th, 2012 at 9:09pm:
Alan Zenreich wrote on Apr 11th, 2012 at 6:46pm:
People should be allowed to be propelled through a windshield during a crash, it's a matter of personal choice

It's part of Darwin's theory of Natural Selection for the improvement of the species.

Are we now going to play with Darwin's Theory? California is apparently trying to protect the less than bright crew, much like England where there has been noise about the idea of not rewarding excellence because it makes those less than excellent feel bad. So we dumb things down so we can all be safe and happy.!?!?!!?!?

I may be shiny, but not brand new

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #36 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 2:46pm

Ryobi just won a lawsuit in IL.  Stupidity loses.

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island, South Carolina, USA
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #37 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 3:00pm

JimQuarles wrote on Aug 16th, 2012 at 2:46pm:
Ryobi just won a lawsuit in IL.  Stupidity loses.

Jim, I bet he wished he had gone ahead and spent the extra $$$$ for the SawStop.  Three fingers cut off!  Ouch! 

I've fallen into the vortex and been nicknamed "Wood Doctor" by a Mississippian!  Life is good!
Richard Bachman eversdorf  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print