Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Our Humble Little Shop (Read 3,518 times)

Kevin Hedrick

WR Rocks!

Platte, South Dakota, USA
Platte
South Dakota
USA

Our Humble Little Shop
Jun 25th, 2012 at 2:20am

It isn't much, and its short on space but we make do. Tools include, Jet 1642EVS 1-1/2hp lathe, Powermatic 6" joiner (the black beauty), Rikon 18" 2.5hp band saw, jet 16-32 drum sander (not pictured, will update asap), jet oscillating spindle sander, Powermatic PM2000 Cabinet saw with router lift (which is made by jessem), Vintage Delta Milwaukee drill press from my middle school shop class, 10" Makita compound miter saw, Delta 13" "lunchbox planer", your usual handtools including my Grandfather's hand planes (some of my favorite tools). Jet Dust Collector with the 2micron canister, plumbed to only half of the shop so far (Im not made out of money you know).

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Its a kind of rickety old outbuilding with cinderblock wall foundation with poured slab floor, open stud on the upper half of the walls, with scrap ply covering the lower half. We will be moving within the year to south dakota, where we have a 50x50 shop waiting for us, so this is temporary and will serve us well enough until then. We run an Alaskan mill when we can to help the lumber shed stay full which is why the saws and cans are stacked underneath the jointer There's a small belt sander 4x36 with a 6" disc sander which does not belong to me, the building owner lets us use it, so we supply some belts for it from time to time.. We have the Excalibur 21" scroll saw... If I ever had to part with with one tool that would be it. Although the missus and my son sure like it, I've used it once or twice and could certainly live without it.
   The Shop's about 35' long by about 12'-14' wide which is real difficult space to find comfortable flowing layout for. I have an 8'x2' lumber storage rack about 8' tall right behind the dust collector, that the missus and I built. made from 2"x4"s and 1/2" ply, probably got well over 1000# on it now. Its where I keep the fancy stuff, bowl and turning blanks, and some inlay stock. We have lots of milled lumber stacked in various locations around the property. We do rustic log furniture and other simple craftsy things, from spoons to cutting boards to log cabin dog houses lol.  Our workbench is located in the back of the shop. My better half and I built it out of 4"x12" beams and 2"x4"s, torsion box top with top and bottom layers 1/2" ply, with 3/4" melamine (somewhat sacrificial) top surface, 2x4 grid. I would feel confident giving an elephant a pedicure on it... I cant figure a better place to put the chop saw, so unfortunatley it takes up half of my workbench, but I use it often enough to justify the loss of work space and wind up using the pm2000  as a workbench quite often Embarrassed. I don't plan to do much more to it, as it is temporary, if anything it will be more storage in the way of cabinets and possibly some reworks of layout as I see fit. Thanks for looking, any suggestions are very welcome.  smiley=beer.gif

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Re: Our Humble Little Shop
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2012 at 3:17am

That's a nice shop, I'm envious.  smiley=thumbsup.gif

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Administrator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #2 - Jun 25th, 2012 at 1:21pm

nice.  you use what you have and make do.  lots of potential if you owned, but since it is temp, just keep doing what you are doing. smiley=thumbsup.gif

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Guy Bratt
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Richmond, Michigan, USA
Richmond
Michigan
USA

Robust American Beauty
Rikon 70-100
Reply #3 - Jun 25th, 2012 at 5:58pm

Hi  Like Dave said you make do with what you have.  You have nice equipment to make do with.  You may want to forget this shop after you arrive at your new one, but I'd be inclined to frame an 8 by 10 or slightly larger photo of this one to decorate your new shop.

Old, Fat,n Ugly...I shed 100 pounds this year.  Still old.  Still ugly. But what can you do at this age?
You know? If you knew me you'd see my avatar and I really look a lot alike.

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island, South Carolina, USA
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #4 - Jun 25th, 2012 at 7:06pm

Guy Bratt wrote on Jun 25th, 2012 at 5:58pm:
.......You may want to forget this shop after you arrive at your new one, but I'd be inclined to frame an 8 by 10 or slightly larger photo of this one to decorate your new shop.

Great suggestion! smiley=thumbsup.gif 

« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2012 at 7:07pm by Richard Beversdorf »  

I've fallen into the vortex and been nicknamed "Wood Doctor" by a Mississippian!  Life is good!
Richard Bachman eversdorf  
IP Logged

Kevin Hedrick

WR Rocks!

Platte
South Dakota
USA

Reply #5 - Jun 25th, 2012 at 10:02pm

Richard Beversdorf wrote on Jun 25th, 2012 at 7:06pm:
Guy Bratt wrote on Jun 25th, 2012 at 5:58pm:
.......You may want to forget this shop after you arrive at your new one, but I'd be inclined to frame an 8 by 10 or slightly larger photo of this one to decorate your new shop.

Great suggestion! smiley=thumbsup.gif 

I second that! I day dream of how I want everything to be laid out, I've got it planned out to the dust collection routing and stereo location  Grin  Cant wait to look at this pick and laugh, but like you say, work with what you have... smiley=beer.gif
« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2012 at 10:03pm by Kevin Hedrick »  

IP Logged

Ken Ward
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jun 26th, 2012 at 1:44pm

Nice looking shop there,looks pretty well organized

IP Logged

Kevin Hedrick

WR Rocks!

Platte
South Dakota
USA

Reply #7 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 1:56am

Quote:
Nice looking shop there,looks pretty well organized

Thank you, it gets a little better every day.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Robert Tewart

God Bless our Armed Forces!

Ligonier, Pennsylvania, USA
Ligonier
Pennsylvania
USA

Reply #8 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 8:15pm

Am I the only one who designs shops in my head even though I'm not planning on building a new one.

Bob Tewart

IP Logged

John Lawson
WR Addict

Wombats rule!

The Adirondacks, New York, USA
The Adirondacks
New York
USA

Reply #9 - Jun 29th, 2012 at 5:59am

Nope.

Being well-read is not the same as knowing what you are doing.

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #10 - Jun 29th, 2012 at 6:07am

John Lawson wrote on Jun 29th, 2012 at 5:59am:
Nope.

ditto.  Grin

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #11 - Jun 30th, 2012 at 10:16am

What part of "NO" ...
Cool

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Dale Jablonski

WR it's a great thing

Vernal, Utah, USA
Vernal
Utah
USA

Reply #12 - Jul 3rd, 2012 at 10:23pm

I would highly recommend you store your fuel containers away from your shop. Fumes and electricity are a disaster waiting to happen. It looks like you have quite a bit there. Keep um outa there.

WWW dalejablonski  
IP Logged

Breck Whitworth
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Gulfport, Mississippi, USA
Gulfport
Mississippi
USA

PM 3520-B
Reply #13 - Jul 7th, 2012 at 8:18pm

Kevin you may think your shop is small and Humble but from the looks of your tools they would go in a professional shop! Wow what a total classy collection of power tools, you are 2nd to nobody in what is in your shop! smilies=bowdown

May the Lord Bless the work of our hands! And Necessity is the mother of invention:

IP Logged

Kevin Hedrick

WR Rocks!

Platte
South Dakota
USA

Reply #14 - Jul 28th, 2012 at 12:57pm

After seeing your shop, that's quite the compliment. Thanks A lot Breck, we sure love it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print