WR Rocks!

Gulfport, Mississippi, USA
Gulfport
Mississippi
USA

PM 3520-B
Re: Cold Room
Reply #15 - Aug 10th, 2012 at 11:11pm

Well Larry, I just finished making my own 7x12 cold turning room. The shop gets up to about 110 degrees by the after noon but now I can turn in 71 degree comfort. Thanks again for the idea my friend. I sold some storm braces to finance it. Some day I may post a few pic's but for now I can start turning again.

May the Lord Bless the work of our hands! And Necessity is the mother of invention:

IP Logged

John Lawson
WR Supporter

Wombats rule!

Denton, Texas, USA
Denton
Texas
USA

Reply #16 - Aug 10th, 2012 at 11:22pm

I showed my wife the cold room and mentioned that I could probably build something like that in the garage, and she asks if I considered moving the lathe into the house, since we don't really use the spare bedroom.  I was struck dumb.

Being well-read is not the same as knowing what you are doing.

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #17 - Aug 11th, 2012 at 12:04am

Someone that did that here had major problems with the fine dust throughout the house and A/C.

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

John Lawson
WR Supporter

Wombats rule!

Denton, Texas, USA
Denton
Texas
USA

Reply #18 - Aug 11th, 2012 at 9:05am

Hmm.  I wasn't really considering it, but that's a good point.  I would have to have good dust collection vented to outside, and keep the door closed.  Might even need weatherstripping.  I could let the air run because positive pressure should keep stuff out of the vents.

IP Logged

Larry Matchett
WR Supporter

Be One with your Tool!

Gulf Coast, Mississippi, Mississippi, USA
Gulf Coast, Mississippi
Mississippi
USA

Reply #19 - Aug 11th, 2012 at 10:21am

The problem would be return air for your house AC system.  I also considered the spare bedroom possibility but could not figure out the problem.  I think you have to shut off the central air and go with a window unit and vent the dust collection outside.  The biggest hurdle for me was LOML i didn't think I could vent her wrath from me.
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2012 at 10:22am by Larry Matchett »  
IP Logged

John Lawson
WR Supporter

Wombats rule!

Denton, Texas, USA
Denton
Texas
USA

Reply #20 - Aug 11th, 2012 at 5:10pm

If there were return vents in each room that makes sense, but I have a large return vent in the main hallway.  I can't have window unit due to HOA rules, but I could open the window and vent to the outside while I'm turning if no one notices.  I would extend my backyard fence so that window wasn't visible from the street in that case. 

I'm not planning on using the spare room anyway; this is just a thought experiment.

IP Logged

Breck Whitworth
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Gulfport, Mississippi, USA
Gulfport
Mississippi
USA

PM 3520-B
Reply #21 - Aug 11th, 2012 at 8:31pm

I have yet to acquire the funds for the dust collection I will need to begin finishing in my cold room. I intend to get the trend pro face shield and a HF-2hp dust collection unit with all the necessary hoses and attachments for proper dust collection. Until then I have an abundance of fresh wood for rough turning. I will just rough turn for the next few months in cool conditions. I will not try any sanding in there until I have the proper dust collection. But boy what a joy to turn in a cool room for the first time since becoming a willing and happy victum to the vortex. Smiley Smiley Smiley

May the Lord Bless the work of our hands! And Necessity is the mother of invention:

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print