WR Rocks!

Gulfport, Mississippi, USA
Gulfport
Mississippi
USA

PM 3520-B
My cold turning room
Aug 19th, 2012 at 6:37pm

Here a few pic's of my new favorite place on Earth to be. It is my tiny cold kingdom within my large uninsulated shop. After Larry gave me the idea I realized that it was the only solution afordable to me to be able to turn the 5 or 6 months of the year down here in the deep south without being completely miserable. Like Larry I would sweat all over my lathe and whatever I was turning. I was constantly removing rust but not from wet wood. It is 7' x 12' with R40 3/4" foam board over a 2x4 frame. It is a God send to me, my shop will have 101-110 degrees on the thermometer in my shop yet it stays so cool I can actually wear my turning smock and feel comfortable in my little cold room. I used building wrap on the walls inside and that was a wonderful idea because of the water that is constantly hitting the walls and ceiling. It makes cleaning up so easy. Just wanted to show pic's of mine. smiley=thumbsup.gif

May the Lord Bless the work of our hands! And Necessity is the mother of invention:

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Tony Rozendaal
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

East Troy, WI, Wisconsin, USA
East Troy, WI
Wisconsin
USA

Robust AB
Grizzly 12x20 Midi Lathe
Delta 10x16 Mini Lathe
Re: My cold turning room
Reply #1 - Aug 19th, 2012 at 8:33pm

"Like"  Wink

I'd say "that's way cool" but it'd kinda belabor the point, wouldn't it?
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2012 at 8:33pm by Tony Rozendaal »  

Turnin' and learnin'

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW trozendaal  
IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Administrator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #2 - Aug 19th, 2012 at 11:47pm

nice. smiley=thumbsup.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island, South Carolina, USA
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #3 - Aug 20th, 2012 at 6:54am

Great solution!

I've fallen into the vortex and been nicknamed "Wood Doctor" by a Mississippian!  Life is good!
Richard Bachman eversdorf  
IP Logged

Gary Hostetter
WR Addict

Shrewsbury, Pennsylvania, USA
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
USA

Powermatic 3520B
Reply #4 - Aug 20th, 2012 at 7:58pm

Real nice...better then working in all that heat for sure...

VFW (Life member)
American Legion (Life member)
NRA (Life member)
Zembo Shriners

IP Logged

Michael DeWald

What?

western NY, New York, USA
western NY
New York
USA

Reply #5 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 12:38am

Let us know how the building wrap holds up long term. It's a good idea.

"We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem." Douglas Adams

IP Logged

Breck Whitworth
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Gulfport
Mississippi
USA

PM 3520-B
Reply #6 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 8:33am

will do Michael, I have wondered about it's longevity also, I turn wet wood all the time and so far so good the chips and water are so easy to clean up and wipe down.

May the Lord Bless the work of our hands! And Necessity is the mother of invention:

IP Logged

John Walsh
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Weddington, North Carolina, USA
Weddington
North Carolina
USA

Reply #7 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 11:36am

Excellent idea.  I have been struggling with 100 to 110 degree heat here in Charlotte as well.  Now, I f I can only get the subdivision to approve another outside AC compressor .... Roll Eyes

I am not here at the moment.  I have gone to look for myself.  If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Richard Beversdorf

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island, South Carolina, USA
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #8 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 1:04pm

John Walsh wrote on Sep 4th, 2012 at 11:36am:
Excellent idea.  I have been struggling with 100 to 110 degree heat here in Charlotte as well.  Now, I f I can only get the subdivision to approve another outside AC compressor .... Roll Eyes

John, Try one of the min-splits.  Easy to install, can pick one up at Home Depot of Lowes, and the condenser (outside part) is small and can hide behind a short bush.  Quiet too!

I've fallen into the vortex and been nicknamed "Wood Doctor" by a Mississippian!  Life is good!
Richard Bachman eversdorf  
IP Logged

Breck Whitworth
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Gulfport
Mississippi
USA

PM 3520-B
Reply #9 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 8:35pm

John the portable a/c units are perfect for something like this, Larry has one that sits on the floor of his cold room. All you need is a small outside vent opening or window cracked open about 4 or 5 inches to vent the warm air. I used a window unit because that's what I already had but it vents right into my shop not outside. ( I have a 5 gal. bucket to catch the water.) I planned my cold room so the a/c unit blows hot air directly toward my outside window but nothing is seen from the outside. I have a regular fan blowing out the window to help take the warm air outside. No neighbor would even know. smiley=lolk.gif

IP Logged

Don Davis

Safety first!

Stillwater, Oklahoma, USA
Stillwater
Oklahoma
USA

Reply #10 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 11:21am

John, I must agree with Richard...
I've been using my mini-split heat pump for several seasons now... it keeps me warm in the winter and cool in our other three seasons... (hot and humid, hotter and hottest). I will be out in the shop a good part of the afternoon and we are supposed to see highs in the hundreds again... but it will be about 72º in the shop. If you can swing it... go for the mini-split. I think you would not ever regret it!

IP Logged

Jon McElwain

Fort Collins, CO/Juneau, AK, Colorado, USA
Fort Collins, CO/Juneau, AK
Colorado
USA

Reply #11 - Jan 9th, 2013 at 1:37pm

I guess I have spent too much time in Alaska - I've never heard of such a thing!  The only reason I could have imagined having a "cool room" before today would have been to hang deer in before processing early in the hunting season! 

That said, I can't imagine trying to turn when it is 110 in the shop.  When it hits 75 outside, I start looking for a nice cool crawl space to hide in...

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #12 - Jan 11th, 2013 at 12:17am

Oooooo, I hadn't even thought of that usage.  Tis spring I am planning on doing a bit of rearranging.  Might well be time for a cool room that is large enough to house a deer for cooling in the fall as well.  I do believe this can be arranged. 
Cool

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

dennis nagle
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Waterford, Michigan, USA
Waterford
Michigan
USA

Reply #13 - Mar 1st, 2013 at 11:38pm

I have the opposite problem.  Here in Michigan we have June, July, and winter.  I really need a warm room!!!

I have a space heater in my shop that is meant for a 10' x 10' room not a 28'x28' shop.

Today it was 26 degrees outside and by the end of the day it was 37 degrees in the shop.....balmy!

My Art webpage

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print