Turning Horn (Read 4,057 times)

Eric Armstrong

Brookville, PA, Pennsylvania, USA
Brookville, PA
Pennsylvania
USA

Turning Horn
Sep 12th, 2012 at 8:48pm

I have started to make some boxes using horn for the body and turned wood for the base and lid. Here's how I turn a horn.

1. I start by turning a tapered plug, sized to fit the horn segment.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

2. Here's the equipment needed to straighten the horn. I heat lard in a "Fry Daddy" to 350 degrees to soften the horn. Boiling water will soften the horn but it doesn't get hot enough to erase it's "memory". Lard works best. The horn stays in the lard until it can be flexed with (gloved) fingers.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.

3. When the horn is heated and softened I push it onto the plug (hard) as far as it will go. I have also pre-cut the horn segment that I want to use and drive it onto the plug with a light hammer and wood block. The idea is to get the horn to form a straight taper and be round inside.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

4. It's easy to see where the plug ends.

5. After the horn cools I cut it just above the top of the plug. If I try to cut it higher the horn will be seriously out of round on the inside. Very difficult to fit a lid. The edge can be rounded with a scraper but the rim will not be concentric with the outside surface.

6. I put the plug back on the lathe using the centers that were made when the plug was turned. I square the two ends.

7. I start shaping the outside surface using a roughing gouge. This tool seems to work best.

8. As I removed material from this piece of horn it became transparent. That's not always what happens. As the layers of horn are peeled off the colors can change. It can be pure white, transparent or mottled.

9. When I finished shaping the horn was almost completely transparent. I finished the outside surface with sandpaper and ScotchBrite (high speed) and polished it with DuPont #7 Polishing Compound.

10. Here's the finished box. The base and lid are walnut.

I added a surprise inside - a dollar coin.

Here's some other examples of horn and wood boxes I made.

I get good mileage from one horn.

« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2012 at 8:52pm by Eric Armstrong »  

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Jeff Vanden Boogart
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Rural Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
Rural Green Bay
Wisconsin
USA

PM 3520
Re: Turning Horn
Reply #1 - Sep 12th, 2012 at 9:04pm

Those are very cool, Eric!

Where do you get the horn?

IP Logged

Eric Armstrong

Brookville, PA
Pennsylvania
USA

Reply #2 - Sep 12th, 2012 at 9:12pm

There are several gunmakers' fairs, antique gun and artisan shows in PA and MD (Fort Frederick). Dixon's Gunmakers Fair in July is a great source. There's a pickup size pile of horns on the ground to choose from. The Gun and Artisan show in Lewisburg, PA in Feb. also has a large pile. These horns are relatively inexpensive and are cored and polished.

Powderhorns and More (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register) is an excellent mail order source. The folks there will work with you and try to match your needs.

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #3 - Sep 12th, 2012 at 9:47pm

I assume that you look for horn that is as straight as possible to start with?
Cool

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY. Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens. Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Freddie Hicks
WR Addict

Lubbock, Texas, USA
Lubbock
Texas
USA

Reply #4 - Sep 12th, 2012 at 9:52pm

Those are absolutely fantastic, I wonder if you have tried the horn in a pressure cooker. The only way to increase the tempature of boiling water is to increase the surface pressure on it.
I love things like those boxes, something new, something no one else is doing.

Mi Vida Echa en Madera

IP Logged

john Taylor
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Reply #5 - Sep 12th, 2012 at 10:23pm

I've been working horn for the last ten years or so. It is definitely a learning process with almost as many failures as successes. Your boxes are beautiful work. The oils increase the transluscence considerably.

Another way to soften horn without heat is to soak the horn in plain sudsy ammonia. It takes from one to two weeks, depending on the thickness of the horn so it is much slower than heat, but there is less carmelizing (orange coloring) and less chance of cracking or delamination. Soaked long enough, and deliberate delamination can be accomplished to produce "leaves" for lanteen products. Horn is an intriguing material to work with, but the resulting pieces are worth the effort.

IP Logged

Breck Whitworth
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Gulfport, Mississippi, USA
Gulfport
Mississippi
USA

PM 3520-B
Reply #6 - Sep 12th, 2012 at 11:38pm

Eric those are incredible! I love them smilies=bowdown

May the Lord Bless the work of our hands! And Necessity is the mother of invention:

IP Logged

Robert Tewart

God Bless our Armed Forces!

Ligonier, Pennsylvania, USA
Ligonier
Pennsylvania
USA

Reply #7 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 12:18am

They are great.  I hope to see some at a club meeting soon.

Bob Tewart

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Robert Harper
WR Addict

WR doesn't rock, it RULES!

Salt Lake City, UT, Utah, USA
Salt Lake City, UT
Utah
USA

Reply #8 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 4:43am

Very nice! I love the translucence.

Live long, love life, and sail fast. Oh and turn fast too.
WWW Robert Harper rharper@xmission.com  
IP Logged

Eric Armstrong

Brookville, PA
Pennsylvania
USA

Reply #9 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 6:27am

I do look for the straighter horns - ones that the powder horn guys pass over.  It's also nice to have them fairly round to start.  However, if the section is cut before heating, an out of round horn can be straightened nicely.

IP Logged

steve rost
WR Devotee

Jigaholic

Mansfield, Texas, USA
Mansfield
Texas
USA

Reply #10 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 6:49am

Beautiful, Great step by step tutorial.

One measure of a great craftsman is how well he can hide his mistakes!

IP Logged

Paul Gilbert
WR Supporter

Turned by Paul

Allen, TX, Texas, USA
Allen, TX
Texas
USA

Reply #11 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 5:23pm

Freddie Hicks wrote on Sep 12th, 2012 at 9:52pm:
Those are absolutely fantastic, I wonder if you have tried the horn in a pressure cooker. The only way to increase the tempature of boiling water is to increase the surface pressure on it.
I love things like those boxes, something new, something no one else is doing.

According to my steam table to get 350 F in a pressure vessel you need about 120 psi gauge. A pressure cooker at 15 psig is about 225 F.

IP Logged

Paul Gilbert
WR Supporter

Turned by Paul

Allen, TX, Texas, USA
Allen, TX
Texas
USA

Reply #12 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 5:25pm

I'll plead typo here 15 psig (30 psia) is 250 F.

IP Logged

Gary Hostetter
WR Champion

Shrewsbury, Pennsylvania, USA
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
USA

Reply #13 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 6:09pm

Beautiful work...

VFW (Life member)
American Legion (Life member)
NRA (Life member)
Zembo Shriners

IP Logged

Freddie Hicks
WR Addict

Lubbock, Texas, USA
Lubbock
Texas
USA

Reply #14 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 8:25pm

Paul,
I wasn't sure how hot they got but I knew you could cook them to jello and would probably be hard to tell how long to cook them in a pressure cooker.
I'll leave the horn to the horn pros. That kind of stuff ain't for experimenting in my wife's pots Sad smiley=lolk.gif

Mi Vida Echa en Madera

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print