Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Shop Floor - PAINT THAT THING! (Read 9,373 times)

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Anchorage
Alaska
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V
Shop Floor - PAINT THAT THING!
Sep 17th, 2012 at 12:40pm

I took the opportunity to clear out 1/2 of my shop to paint the concrete floor.  (no pics yet, sorry)

At our last home I did this and found that cleanup is VERY EASY on a painted concrete floor!  The dust and chips slide right along compared to a bare concrete floor.  MOST IMPORTANTLY is that you DO NOT have to use those expensive epoxy floor paints smiley=thumbsup.gif.  They are probably the best (but $70/gallon was a non-starter for me), however the next best thing is Oil Based floor paint (if you can stand the odor while it is curing) and then as a 3rd option you can use an Enamel floor paint.

Let the paint fully cure before getting your heavy tools back on it (lathe, drill press, floor standing grinder, roll-around tool chests, tool stands, etc.) 

I purchased a second hand dust collector and modified it to trap more dust in the bottom bag (subject for another posting), so since I was working on that I thought I would paint the floor this weekend too.

An area of 12 x 25 feet took two gallons (two one-gallon coats) and cost me $30 total.  It now looks great and sweeping up is a breeze (no pun intended).

If you have a concrete floor in your shop, I HIGHLY recommend that you take the time to do this.  If the paint does eventually get scratched, simply give it a single re-coating and again it is like new.  I find regular oil based garage paint (at ~$15 / gallon at Lowes) lasts me about 12 years between coats.  I use their standard GREY color.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Anchorage
Alaska
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V
Re: Shop Floor - PAINT THAT THING!
Reply #1 - Sep 19th, 2012 at 12:00pm

I got photos this morning before work.  Posting them here now.  You can see the difference between the painted and regular concrete.  Much brighter and easier to clean too!

TIME TO GET IT MESSY!
« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2012 at 12:01pm by Tom Coghill »  

IP Logged

Len Layman
WR Patron

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Reply #2 - Sep 19th, 2012 at 12:32pm

Tom.  That certainly does make a difference.  It looks great.

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

Jeff Vanden Boogart
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Rural Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
Rural Green Bay
Wisconsin
USA

PM 3520
Reply #3 - Sep 19th, 2012 at 7:42pm

That looks REAL nice, Tom.  Do you find it gets slippery with a layer of sawdust/shavings on it?

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #4 - Sep 19th, 2012 at 10:07pm

Jeff, I had the same question.  I know my polished concrete floor does.  Can't imagine the painted floor not being pretty slippery with a coat of dust on it too.
Cool

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Anchorage
Alaska
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V
Reply #5 - Sep 20th, 2012 at 11:13am

I don't seem to have a problem with the floor getting slippery, even when I lived up north where the humidity is very low.  I do not recommend this for a floor if you come in with snow on the bottom of your shoes/boots. One can put anti-slip (sandblasting sand) in the paint for traction, however that defeats one advantage (easy clean-up) of the paint.

I wear a good pair of comfortable shoes that have a thick rubberized sole.  I have found them to be better than working on a rubber mat, but I have both.

Jeff and Doug, you brought up a very good point smiley=thumbsup.gif and time will tell, but my experience is that I have found (so far) that I don't slip around on this floor. 

I started to work on an order of 35 pens last night (cut the blanks and drilled them).  The quilted maple shavings from the table saw and drilling did not seem slippery underfoot.

I will be sure to pass along any negative results that I have with the floor paint.

IP Logged

Đave Wendell
WR Addict

Charleston, SC, South Carolina, USA
Charleston, SC
South Carolina
USA

Reply #6 - Sep 20th, 2012 at 5:23pm

My epoxy floor paint is slicker than snot when the chips and dust settle.  One of the reasons I keep it quite clean out there.  One thing you can do is to add sand to the paint or epoxy before putting it down to give you a bit of grip.  I'll be giving that a go when it's time to redo it.

Life's Short, Laugh Hard!

IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Anchorage
Alaska
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V
Reply #7 - Sep 20th, 2012 at 6:34pm

Dave - you could try softer shoes or get yourself an anti-fatiuge floor mat.  I use some soft soled anti-marking black shoes that have great grip and are more comfortable than tennis shoes.  I believe the maker is Rockport.  Something like these:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
david seaba
WR Patron

Semper Fi !

Broken Arrow,Ok, Oklahoma, USA
Broken Arrow,Ok
Oklahoma
USA

Reply #8 - Sep 21st, 2012 at 2:03pm

Looks very nice Tom!

Custom Duck calls,Deer Grunt etc. Stave Vessels, Bowls, Pens  Antler and Wood
WWW David Seaba  
IP Logged

Chris Hendrick

WR Rocks!

Pearland, Texas, USA
Pearland
Texas
USA

Reply #9 - Sep 24th, 2012 at 2:32pm

Looks good. Did this same thing to my garage floor 4-5 years ago. Wish I had a dollar for everytime my boys have run into the garage after a rain and slid across the floor. They just never listen.

Just trying to round out the rough spots...........
IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island, South Carolina, USA
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #10 - Sep 25th, 2012 at 6:31am

I'm with Tom on the slippery issue.  Both my garage and the shop have epoxy on the floors.  Both are smooth/polished and never had a problem with them being that slippery----not that I've pushed the issue with any testing.  If anything, the chips and saw dust add a bit of friction I think.  The paint used is a one part semi gloss water based epoxy----whatever that is.  It was the cheaper garage paint I could get at the local big box.

I've fallen into the vortex and been nicknamed "Wood Doctor" by a Mississippian!  Life is good!
Richard Bachman eversdorf  
IP Logged

Michael DeWald

What?

western NY, New York, USA
western NY
New York
USA

Reply #11 - Oct 6th, 2012 at 1:34am

I used a water based concrete floor paint on my basement floors over 15 years ago. They finally need repainting now. They are much easier to sweep, and there is no longer a problem with the concrete "dusting" or leaving a dirt film on things laying on the floor. I think it is Block tite brand paint. Applied by first getting the floor damp before painting, it soaks in very well and has not peeled, despite the floor being very old and having no vapor barrier. I used a dark red color, which shows very well where any dirt might be, fortunately and unfortunately. It was well worth the minimal effort to do.

"We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem." Douglas Adams

IP Logged

Ray Gattus Sr
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

plainfield, ct, Connecticut, USA
plainfield, ct
Connecticut
USA

Reply #12 - Oct 22nd, 2012 at 7:15pm

That's where I stand right now, I just finished sheetrocking the place and am having a pellet stove installed in a week for winter working, now I have to decide what to do on the concrete floor before the stove comes in??

WWW Ray Gattus Sr Ray Gattus Sr N/A N/A Ray Gattus Sr N/A GGFlytyer  
IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #13 - Oct 22nd, 2012 at 7:36pm

You might want to leave a square under the stove that is not painted.  Frequently the heat will buckle floor paint.

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Ray Gattus Sr
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

plainfield, ct, Connecticut, USA
plainfield, ct
Connecticut
USA

Reply #14 - Oct 22nd, 2012 at 9:06pm

Thanks