Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Holding a Blank to Cut with Chainsaw? (Read 1,841 times)

Mike Turner
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Laurinburg, North Carolina, USA
Laurinburg
North Carolina
USA

Holding a Blank to Cut with Chainsaw?
Sep 27th, 2012 at 4:21pm

How do you guys hold a bowl blank to cut it with a chainsaw?

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

The Villages, Florida, USA
The Villages
Florida
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V, now with Stainless Ways
Re: Holding a Blank to Cut with Chainsaw?
Reply #1 - Sep 27th, 2012 at 5:18pm

Mike,

Are you asking about splitting a long in half, making two half-rounds? 

or

Are you asking about once you have a half-round, cutting the corners off so that rough turning is quicker?

In case 1, I use a Shopmate table and make my cut 3/4 the way thru first then stop, rotate the log, and complete the cut.  I have the shopmate top open about 4-6 inches so the log will not roll.

In case 2, I use a bandsaw, but if I wanted to nick the corners with a chainsaw I guess I would use a rachet strap to hold the half-round in place on the shopmate table, hanging over the corner to be cut.  But honestly, that sounds like more work and time than just putting the thing on the lathe and going at it with a roughing gouge.

Most of all - Be careful.  No piece of wood is worth getting hurt  Sad .

IP Logged

Breck Whitworth
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Gulfport, Mississippi, USA
Gulfport
Mississippi
USA

PM 3520-B
Reply #2 - Sep 27th, 2012 at 5:35pm

I posted my cutting stand before but it really works well. Keeps my back and works great for trimming half logs as well as whole round sections

May the Lord Bless the work of our hands! And Necessity is the mother of invention:

IP Logged

Mike Turner
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Laurinburg, North Carolina, USA
Laurinburg
North Carolina
USA

Reply #3 - Sep 27th, 2012 at 7:04pm

Breck you answered both  Thanks

IP Logged

Mike Mills
WR Addict

Reply #4 - Sep 27th, 2012 at 10:09pm

This is what I do to hold them to trim the corners off.  Very quick and holds super well.
A $12 bench holdfast works just a well, I already had a fancy one.
« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2012 at 10:11pm by Mike Mills »  

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #5 - Sep 28th, 2012 at 9:20am

Breck Whitworth wrote on Sep 27th, 2012 at 5:35pm:
I posted my cutting stand before but it really works well. Keeps my back and works great for trimming half logs as well as whole round sections

That's a nice idea Breck

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #6 - Sep 28th, 2012 at 11:38am

Generally, I will put the log blank up on another log stood up end grain wise, and chock a couple of cut offs on either side to keep it from rolling. I use a level to mark a plumb line through the center, or to either side, and have a number of plywood strips in various widths to mark off how thick of a blank I want (no measuring). If I am going to cut off the corners, I make sure to cut off the bottom outside part of the bowl blank before cutting down the center. Mostly this gives a flat spot on the bottom of the blank for it to sit on so you can mark a circle, and then trim off the corners. With the flat spot, it will not rock and roll when trimming. When trimming the corners, start cutting on the left side, so the teeth on the side of your chainsaw can dig into the log and hold it still. If you cut going to the right side, the log will want to spin into the saw. If you have a really big piece, and are going to cut several blanks out of each side of the pith, cut about 90% or the way through, then roll it half way around and cut the rest of the way through.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Breck Whitworth
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Gulfport, Mississippi, USA
Gulfport
Mississippi
USA

PM 3520-B
Reply #7 - Sep 28th, 2012 at 1:27pm

Thanks Ron, I got the basic idea from someone and improved the design to be stronger and fit my needs. It is very functional, you can trim the edges from the 1/2 rounds while on the frame that is on the ground. Or you can trim them from the half-round holder to the left of the stand. My stand doesn't look anything like the picture anymore (much more worn) because I have used it to cut so many trees up. But still very functional for pieces that you can actually pick up and put on the stand. Splitting the extremely large rounds(those you can't pick up) you must do on the ground.

May the Lord Bless the work of our hands! And Necessity is the mother of invention:

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print