Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Fourth Annual Secret Santa Ornament C&T (Read 10,712 times)

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Fourth Annual Secret Santa Ornament C&T
Oct 19th, 2012 at 3:56pm

Fourth Annual Secret Santa Ornament C&T

Hope everyone is ready for another Challenge & Trade.  Your new challenge is to turn a Christmas Ornament.  Aah, but not just any Christmas ornament.  It’s similar to last year’s Ornament C&T, but it must be made from at least
different woods or other materials
in any configuration. Whether laminated, segmented, mortise/tenon joint, or whatever.  And it must have some sort of hollow center. Such as, inside out, hollowed or a shell. 

If you want to do multiple trades, label pictures as "Inside Out #1" and "Bird House #2".

We will open the gallery on Saturday, November 10.  Pictures must be posted by midnight PST Saturday, November 17.  I will figure the round robin assignments using Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register and PM the results the next day.  Like last year, we want everyone to get these before Christmas, so all packages need to be postmarked by Saturday, November 24.

As was implied by the Subject Line, this will be a Mystery Round Robin style trade.  Everyone who participates will be assigned another member to surprise with their Ornament.  Don’t mention to whom or where you are sending it.  Everyone needs to post here when they ship, and again when they receive their ornament.

Please sign up if you plan to participate, the more, the merrier.  But if your picture is not posted, and you haven't PM'ed your address to me, by the deadline, you will not be assigned a trade.  Also indicate in your PM whether you are willing to pay the additional postage to trade with our Canadian and overseas members, if we have any participate.

OK!  You have 4 weeks to do this.  Let's get out there and turn some ornaments!  If you are not sure you can handle this, go out to your shop and try some different ideas.  It may surprise you how easy these are.  Look at the galleries from previous years for ideas.  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register, Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register, Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.  We have had up to 16 members participate previous years.  Let’s see if we can eclipse that number.  We have a lot more members now.

“I dare you!”

For those members who are new and wonder what a C&T might be, here is our explanation.

C&T stands for Challenge & Trade.  We define the parameters of a challenge for you to perform.  After completion, you post a picture in the new C&T area of the Gallery.  Participants will receive a PM with name and address of the member they are to send the completed item.  They will receive one from the same person if we are doing partners, or a different person if we do a Round Robin trade.  If we are doing partners and have an odd number complete the challenge, we end up with the 3 final members in a Round Robin.  Sometimes we do a Mystery Round Robin where nobody knows whose piece they will receive until they get it.

JimQuarles

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Guy Bratt
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Richmond, Michigan, USA
Richmond
Michigan
USA

Robust American Beauty
Rikon 70-100
Re: Fourth Annual Secret Santa Ornament C&T
Reply #1 - Oct 19th, 2012 at 6:31pm

Sounds like fun. I think I'll give it a shot.

Old, Fat,n Ugly...I shed 100 pounds this year.  Still old.  Still ugly. But what can you do at this age?
You know? If you knew me you'd see my avatar and I really look a lot alike.

IP Logged

Robert Harper
WR Addict

WR doesn't rock, it RULES!

Salt Lake City, UT, Utah, USA
Salt Lake City, UT
Utah
USA

Reply #2 - Oct 19th, 2012 at 9:03pm

I'm in! I've been looking forward to this one all year. I'll get cracking.

Live long, love life, and sail fast. Oh and turn fast too.
WWW Robert Harper rharper@xmission.com  
IP Logged

Dirk Hoogendoorn
WR Addict

either a mistake or design
opportunity

Meaford Ont., Ontario, Canada
Meaford Ont.
Ontario
Canada

Reply #3 - Oct 20th, 2012 at 6:03pm

Robert Harper wrote on Oct 19th, 2012 at 9:03pm:
I'm in! I've been looking forward to this one all year. I'll get cracking.

Are you looking forward to it since our Pony Express has not shown up yet? smiley=thumbsup.gif Wink

I may be shiny, but not brand new

IP Logged

Dirk Hoogendoorn
WR Addict

opportunity

Meaford Ont.
Ontario
Canada

Reply #4 - Oct 20th, 2012 at 6:06pm

Yes I think I have the time to get in on this one. You see between naps in the lazy boy and eating I think that I can find the time to do a small project in the next 4 weeks. Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #5 - Oct 22nd, 2012 at 11:58am

Over the last year I got a bunch of emails asking why we don't do more C&T's.  Our last one only had 4 entries and so far no one but them have said they are going to try this one.  Where are all of you who asked for more?  Where are all of our new members?  This is a chance to get a piece from another turner from anywhere.  I have gotten beautiful pieces from overseas and around the country.  You don't have to be a master turner, you just have to try to do your best. 
« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2012 at 11:59am by JimQuarles »  

IP Logged

John Lawson
WR Addict

Wombats rule!

The Adirondacks, New York, USA
The Adirondacks
New York
USA

Reply #6 - Oct 22nd, 2012 at 12:10pm

I'm here.  I fully intend to participate in this one, assuming I can get the shop time.  I even bought a couple books!

Being well-read is not the same as knowing what you are doing.

IP Logged

Dirk Hoogendoorn
WR Addict

opportunity

Meaford Ont.
Ontario
Canada

Reply #7 - Oct 22nd, 2012 at 3:39pm

JimQuarles wrote on Oct 22nd, 2012 at 11:58am:
Over the last year I got a bunch of emails asking why we don't do more C&T's.  Our last one only had 4 entries and so far no one but them have said they are going to try this one.  Where are all of you who asked for more?  Where are all of our new members?  This is a chance to get a piece from another turner from anywhere.  I have gotten beautiful pieces from overseas and around the country.  You don't have to be a master turner, you just have to try to do your best. 

How many members do we congratulate ourselves for having on this forum? I too was quite surprised at having such a low turnout for the challenge and trade of a square bowl.
When I used to have a sailboat in the marina, I was always surprised by how many boat there were in the marina and how few were out on the lake on a beautiful day. Say 100 sailboats and 5 out sailing, this forum appears to be a little like that Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Y.Morin

WR Rocks!

La Tuque Qc.  Canada, Quebec, Canada
La Tuque Qc.  Canada
Quebec
Canada

Reply #8 - Oct 27th, 2012 at 10:16pm

Oups one moment  bang head bang head bang head smiley=shake head.gif smiley=shake head.gif smiley=shake head.gif

Do not forget that members of this group do not have the same level of skills. Some of them are afraid of the judgement of their peers. We have to convince them that we do not expect to receive a perfect art piece, but an object that the maker’s likes what he made because he did his best effort. This is part of the learning process.

Yes I am back and will do my best to make it on time (no promise)

Y. Morin (Canadian)

IP Logged

Robert Harper
WR Addict

WR doesn't rock, it RULES!

Salt Lake City, UT, Utah, USA
Salt Lake City, UT
Utah
USA

Reply #9 - Oct 28th, 2012 at 6:07am

Participation is the key, not the skill. Besides, if you have issues, you could send a note asking for pointers that could be dealt with off line so no one needs to know. I love these because they force you to expand your turning. That is the challenge part. The trade is just icing on the cake.

Just look at it this way. Being a turner, who takes a chunk of wood and shapes it into something by hand, you've distinguished yourself as someone special. Then to participate in these C&T's, you've further distinguished yourself as someone exceptional.

Live long, love life, and sail fast. Oh and turn fast too.
WWW Robert Harper rharper@xmission.com  
IP Logged

Dirk Hoogendoorn
WR Addict

opportunity

Meaford Ont.
Ontario
Canada

Reply #10 - Oct 28th, 2012 at 9:29am

Y.Morin wrote on Oct 27th, 2012 at 10:16pm:
Oups one moment  bang head bang head bang head smiley=shake head.gif smiley=shake head.gif smiley=shake head.gif

Do not forget that members of this group do not have the same level of skills. Some of them are afraid of the judgement of their peers. We have to convince them that we do not expect to receive a perfect art piece, but an object that the maker’s likes what he made because he did his best effort. This is part of the learning process.

Yes I am back and will do my best to make it on time (no promise)

Y. Morin (Canadian)

Totally agree with this, but being on this forum has distinguished us already as people interested enough to join a group of guys willing to share ideas. What these challenge and trade options are is an opportunity to really put your skills on the line and the icing as Robert has stated is you get someone's piece to add to your collection. smiley=thumbsup.gif

IP Logged

Tony Rozendaal
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

East Troy, WI, Wisconsin, USA
East Troy, WI
Wisconsin
USA

Robust AB
Grizzly 12x20 Midi Lathe
Delta 10x16 Mini Lathe
Reply #11 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 9:12pm

HI - as a relative newbee here, I have a couple questions.  I'm considering signing up for this (I've even been practicing!).  Do I need to state that intention here, or do I simply wait until the forum is opened up for posting pics and do that?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2012 at 9:12pm by Tony Rozendaal »  

Turnin' and learnin'

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW trozendaal  
IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #12 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 10:23pm

You can say you are going to give it a try, but sometimes it doesn't work out.  We have people that do it both ways.  The more that say they are in, the more that will try to join in.

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #13 - Nov 6th, 2012 at 12:36pm

From the looks of things, we have a lot of people doing ornaments already.  Everyone join in.

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Addict

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #14 - Nov 9th, 2012 at 9:18am

Finished seven as a collaboration with my wife.  They are whimsical and use her decoration with color.

A couple have 5 different components.

The only hitch in the process is that my manager of some decades put the digital camera in a safe place and she cannot locate it.  May have to fall back to her Iphone.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print