WR Addict

Wood is my Gold!

Depoe Bay Oregon, Oregon, USA
Depoe Bay Oregon
Oregon
USA

FrankinMartin
Nov 2nd, 2012 at 10:04am

About 10 days ago I was leaving my favorite thrift store, and say a badly damaged guitar sitting there. I ask about it and they said you can just have it. I picked it up and one side had broken the whole side into the bottom half. The back was cracked and 2 cracks on the top. The decal said cfm & co. As I was driving home it hit, it was a Martin guitar made in the U.S.
I wondered if it was fixed-able, at least to make it playable. I later realized the artin where missing from the decal. I used to play back in the 70's, not any good but was fun. I have wanted a guitar but cheap guitars are unplayable(most of them) and I can't afford a nice one. I also knew I could not pay a Luthier to fix this one. So after several frustrating surgeries I got it mostly back together. The action was 3/4" high ad made it hard to play, so I made a new saddle from pink ivory and adjusted the  truss rod. It is now a playable guitar but needs a little more work. My fingers lack the calluses to play but I am having fun trying to relearn what I have forgotten. Also I have always wanted a banjo, having made a few bucks from my wood turning I ordered a not to expensive banjo. I am 60, but I think I can still learn to play a banjo or at least have fun trying. I can only stand for so long so I need other things to do to fill the time.
It turns out the Martin is a 2000 DR dreadnought, the least expensive wood guitar model they make in the U.S., but it's still a Martin, or in my case a Frankin(stien)Martin.

Always give your best effort, what people see in your work is you.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Scott glass
WR Addict

Wood is my Gold!

Depoe Bay Oregon
Oregon
USA

Re: FrankinMartin
Reply #1 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 10:18am

Here's a slightly blurry pic, it still has a nice sound.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register DSCF7812_resized.JPG (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #2 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 12:16pm

Looking at though the sound hole, the crossbar doesn't look like a typical Martin. They usually run horizontal. Take a look through the sound hole towards the neck and you will see a serial number.  You can then trace the guitar through google "Martin serial # xxxxxxxxx"

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

A plastic bridge would sound better than pink ivory ($1-$2) and bone would be even better ($10-$20)

Since the action was high I'm guessing you loosened the truss rod to lower it, I just want to point out that I know many people that wrecked guitars by over tightening the rod.

A lot of people clamp on a capo on top of the head and the decal falls off, just like yours. You can buy replacements direct form Martin (along with a bridge)

Anyway, you can't beat the price you paid. Good luck and have fun playing.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Scott glass
WR Addict

Wood is my Gold!

Depoe Bay Oregon
Oregon
USA

Reply #3 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 12:32pm

Yes, there is a missing a crossbar. Someone had also installed a martin goldplus preamp. I think I can make the crossbar if I have the right kind of wood. I thought it might be a fake at first but quality of wood and workmanship are very well done. The paper sticker was missing also but I had the the serial number inside. I have more work to do, I may get another saddle, I decided not to mess with the original. Also there is much info on the Internet on how to adjust the truss. I went a 1/4 at a time and let the wood adjust. It took 3 days and a couple try"s to get it right.
I have more work to do on it but I am taking my time and trying to do the best I can.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register DSCF7753c_resized.JPG (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #4 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 1:55pm

Sounds like you adjusted the truss correctly.

crossbars are just tight grained spruce (kiln dried)

Good Luck

IP Logged

Scott glass
WR Addict

Wood is my Gold!

Depoe Bay Oregon
Oregon
USA

Reply #5 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 2:11pm

Thanks for the tips, I need all the help I can get on this project.

IP Logged

Breck Whitworth
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Gulfport, Mississippi, USA
Gulfport
Mississippi
USA

PM 3520-B
Reply #6 - Nov 5th, 2012 at 9:01am

Great Score on an American Classic!  Great job on fixing It. You are multi-talented my friend. smiley=thumbsup.gif

May the Lord Bless the work of our hands! And Necessity is the mother of invention:

IP Logged

Scott glass
WR Addict

Wood is my Gold!

Depoe Bay Oregon
Oregon
USA

Reply #7 - Nov 5th, 2012 at 11:39am

Thanks for the compliment Breck, but the truth is I am not smart enough to not know better than to try something as long as it's safe. I was hoping to just not do anymore harm to a beautiful guitar.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print