Turned by Paul

Allen, TX, Texas, USA
Allen, TX
Texas
USA

PM3520B
Cherry blotching
Dec 5th, 2012 at 11:29pm

I am building a dinning room table from some flitch swan cherry lumber. I dimensioned the lumber with my Jet 22/44 drum sander and glued up the top. I ran the top through the drum sander again to take out the glue lines and the worked up through the grains, (random orbital snader) 100, 150, 220 and finally with a a finish sander, 320 and 400. It was my intention to give it a coat of shellac and then tone it with Trans Tint dye to darken it a bit.

When I shot on a coat of 1# cut dewaxed blond shellac I had horrible blotching at 60 degree angle to the grain sort of like tiger stripes. The blotching in only apparent when viewed at a few angles. I sanded off the shellac and went after it with 60 grit and then up from there. Still the tiger stripes!!!

I am new to cherry. I know it is famous for blotching, but I thought this was mostly around grain swirl places. My thing looks like tiger stripes.

Tonight I wetted the raw top in hope of raising the grain and then being able to knock the top off and obliterating the tiger stripes.

Any help will be appreciated.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Scott Wheeler
WR Addict

The wood on the wathe
goes wound & wound

Reading PA, Pennsylvania, USA
Reading PA
Pennsylvania
USA

Re: Cherry blotching
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2012 at 7:56am

Paul I have had the same problems with Cherry and have always been able to sand out any blotches and don’t know what to tell you about your blotches from Shellac.  The best results I found for staining is one, to use a gel stain and Transtint Dyes to get the color I was looking for, its not as deep of a stain but it eliminates any spotting.  Or I have tinted my finish with Transtint and spray it,  usually with a water based finish like Enduro or EM6000 Target Coatings seem to work well.   Good Luck!

IP Logged

Jim Webb

Pikeville, Tennessee, USA
Pikeville
Tennessee
USA

Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2012 at 8:30am

Paul, pictures would help, but I think you have fallen into some curly cherry and it will make a beautiful table top. I love the stuff!

Cherry is really bad to blotch so it could be blotching in the swirly grain.  Sealing it with a coat of 1 lb cut shellac usually controls it, but I have seen some spots that still work their way through.  Even with one coat of sealer you really cut down on the amount of stain or dye the piece will take so if you add another coat to seal those hold outs...you lessen the woods ability to absorb anything else.

A few years ago I had a similar problem and I decided to flood the wood with thinner before sealing then stain it while it was still wet.  It wouldn't take as much stain as I wanted, but once the thinner dried the spots were virtually invisible and the wood was much closer to the color I wanted.  Use a piece of scrap and a trial and error approach until you get what you want!   Good luck...and I still would like to see some pics!

Jim

IP Logged

Kevin Gade

WR Rocks!

N.E. Iowa, Iowa, USA
N.E. Iowa
Iowa
USA

Reply #3 - Dec 7th, 2012 at 10:33am

I never stain Cherry. It's wonderful natural color only gets better with age. I rarely hide sap wood either, it just adds to the character.
my 2 cents.

IP Logged

Jenny Trice
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

St. Paul, MN, Minnesota, USA
St. Paul, MN
Minnesota
USA

Reply #4 - Dec 8th, 2012 at 7:53am

I'm with Kevin on this one.  That's 4 cents.

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Addict

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, Texas, USA
North DFW, Texas
Texas
USA

Powermatic 3520C
Reply #5 - Dec 12th, 2012 at 1:23pm

Never stain Cherry and love tiger stripes. Have gun cabinet made with it. Glenn J.

Woodworking all my life. Turning since ~93
Glenn+J  
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #6 - Dec 13th, 2012 at 1:39am

I'm with these guys.  It sounds like you've run into some tiger striped cherry.  Enjoy it and consider it a bonus.  I don't hear of striped cherry very often. 
Cool

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Kevin Gade

WR Rocks!

N.E. Iowa, Iowa, USA
N.E. Iowa
Iowa
USA

Reply #7 - Dec 13th, 2012 at 12:08pm

Paul does it look similar to this? This board was in a stack of red oak that was milled with a chainsaw. I bought the stack for $5 at an auction not knowing it was in the pile. It was approx. 12" wide and 8' long. Like Rev. said these types of grain don't come along often.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print