Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Coring with the McNaughton With Dale Bonertz (Read 3,947 times)

Nigel Dyson-Hudson
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Re: Coring with the McNaughton With Dale Bonertz
Reply #15 - Apr 13th, 2013 at 10:30pm

I have posted these observations as a review of the Kelton on a couple of dealer web sites. Take note Larry on my comments about the blade sizes. And I plan to glue my funnels with a new base like a laminated turning.

Set-up and use the system correctly - it will be a dream to use. Incorrectly set-up or use the system - it will be a nightmare.
Please read my notes about blade sizes at the bottom! I feel that many issues with the Kelton are because folks are using too large a blade. You also need to run the blank fast, pulley 3, ~600 rpm on the Nova 1624. I was running pulley 2, ~300 rpm, and the chips weren't clearing, the tool wasn't cutting well.
The vendor support is fantastic. I had an issue with a blade not feeding and Kel called from NZ. The solution was to lap the blade to remove the high spots.

You do need to read the information on the web. Watch and rewatch the videos - Dale Bonertz video on youtube and the Mike Mahoney DVD.

Dealers really should package the standard and small blades as a set. Lee Valley does this.
I initially got the standard and jumbo blade set. Then quickly added the mini and small blades. The jumbo blades were too big for the blanks I was coring. With smaller blades and a faster speed, at least 600 rpm, the tool works fantastically.
You also need to replace the handle with say a 16" Sorby - I didn't need any inserts. The included handle is too long and too heavy for anything but the jumbo blades.

Right on the bottom of the Kelton product page
The Micro system has been designed for those whose work is probably in a size range from 100mm to 200mm (4" to 8") in diameter or those wishing to take very small cores as part of nested sets where larger blades are used for the remaining cores. If you typically work with blanks in the size range 100 mm to 250 mm(6" to 10") diameter, then the Small set will probably fulfill your needs. For work in the 200 mm to 350 mm (8" to 14") range, then you might opt for the Standard system. If you routinely handle work in the 250mm to 450 mm(10" to 18+") diameter range, then the Large or even the Combo would be preferred.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #16 - Apr 16th, 2013 at 10:43am

If your post is only 1/4 inch high, I would leave it. For setting the proper height, yes, use the longest blade fully extended, yes, lift up on the handle, and lift hard. This gets you close. What it does not include is the cutting pressure on the blade when fully extended. If you have ever tried to remove the stub that is left when the core breaks out, the blade tip can be 1/2 inch plus below center. Not a problem with most cores, but if you are trying to cut the core all the way off (good idea with burl, and mandatory with end grain so you don't rip through the bottom), you need to be up higher. The cutters are scrapers, and with scrapers, on the inside of a bowl, you do want to be slightly above center. Too high, and the vertical part of the blade will not fit into the arc of the kerf.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Steve Rollinson

If you're like me, and
I know I am...

Gifu, Japan
Gifu
Japan

Reply #17 - Jan 11th, 2014 at 7:34pm

Bump

"A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way" -Mark Twain ...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print