Bob Jennings

playing in the woodpile

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Bob's shop
Jan 17th, 2013 at 1:39am

Here's my shop,  the building was built about seven years ago and since then I've been outfitting the shop with benches,  cupboards,  tables, electrical, compressed air and of course adding tools.

I've had to run additional power via a sub panel and now have 220 volts and 115 amps feeding the shop.
(I don't think you can ever have enough juice feeding your shop).

For dust collection I have a 3 hp cyclone Dust Gorillia for dust pick up at each source plus a ceiling mounted JDS air filter.   

I mostly do turning (bowls inc'd segmented and spindle stuff) but sometimes make cabinets, decorative storage units and get the occasional strange request such as a Model T steering wheel which I made segmented and actually turned on the lathe.

cheers

Bob

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Shop_1.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Shop_2.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Shop_3.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register shop_4.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Guy Bratt
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Richmond, Michigan, USA
Richmond
Michigan
USA

Robust American Beauty
Rikon 70-100
Re: Bob's shop
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2013 at 10:56am

Really nice set up Bob.   How big is it?   What are ou using for heat?

Old, Fat,n Ugly...I shed 100 pounds this year.  Still old.  Still ugly. But what can you do at this age?
You know? If you knew me you'd see my avatar and I really look a lot alike.

IP Logged

Len Layman
WR Addict

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Reply #2 - Jan 17th, 2013 at 11:48am

That is not a shop.  That is a mansion.  Very nice Bob, I am envious.

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

Jon McElwain

Fort Collins, CO/Juneau, AK, Colorado, USA
Fort Collins, CO/Juneau, AK
Colorado
USA

Reply #3 - Jan 17th, 2013 at 12:26pm

Are you kidding me??  There's got to be more sawdust on the floor of the Woodcrafter's store!  Looks like a showroom to me.  Are you selling all those tools? Grin

Really nice space you have.  Good to see solid dust collection to everything.  How do you like that VL300?

IP Logged

Bob Jennings

playing in the woodpile

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Reply #4 - Jan 17th, 2013 at 2:54pm

Hello Guy:
Thanks for your note,  the shop is about 900 sq ft,   for heat I have a 90,000 BTU overhead gas heater.    It's comfortable in the shop during our frigid Canadian winters.

cheers

Bob

IP Logged

Bob Jennings

playing in the woodpile

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Reply #5 - Jan 17th, 2013 at 3:06pm

Hello Jon,  that's funny,   no it's not a showroom and no tools are for sale,  but thanks for your note.   smiley=dankk2.gif

Good eye picking out the Vicmarc,  it's not as common in Canada as say Oneway or General but I really like it.    I had a chance to see one up close at a turner class and was impressed,  that's what decided me to upgrade.   The variable speed is very smooth and I've found it big enough to do heavy stuff.    It weighs just under 800 lbs so stays solid on the floor if you've got an uneven piece.       

Have you got a Vicmarc or have you seen one in action?

cheers

bob

IP Logged

Gary Hostetter
WR Addict

Shrewsbury, Pennsylvania, USA
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
USA

Powermatic 3520B
Reply #6 - Jan 17th, 2013 at 8:42pm

Now that's a really great lookin shop...

VFW (Life member)
American Legion (Life member)
NRA (Life member)
Zembo Shriners

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Administrator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #7 - Jan 17th, 2013 at 11:17pm

lovely shop, so clean and organized.  it would be a pleasure working out of it. smiley=thumbsup.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Jon McElwain

Fort Collins, CO/Juneau, AK, Colorado, USA
Fort Collins, CO/Juneau, AK
Colorado
USA

Reply #8 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 5:25pm

Bob Jennings wrote on Jan 17th, 2013 at 3:06pm:

Good eye picking out the Vicmarc,  it's not as common in Canada as say Oneway or General but I really like it.    I had a chance to see one up close at a turner class and was impressed,  that's what decided me to upgrade.   The variable speed is very smooth and I've found it big enough to do heavy stuff.    It weighs just under 800 lbs so stays solid on the floor if you've got an uneven piece.       

Have you got a Vicmarc or have you seen one in action?

cheers

bob

No, I don't have one, but a fellow in our turning club does.  I looked it over once, but I have never seen it it action.  They seem very well built and I really like the knee bar for turning off the lathe.  I turn on a Oneway and a Delta 46-460.  I thought about a Vicmark VL150BM instead of the Delta, but the Delta was cheap and I didn't want to have to figure out a motor and everything.

I've never heard anyone say anything bad about the Vicmark lathes.  You said that the Oneway is very popular in Canada.  Do you think that is driven by a "buy Canadian" aphorism?  Fantastic lathes no doubt, but the price is tough for many.

Bob, I see you are in Calgary.  I'll be there for a short time it June - beautiful city!
« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2013 at 5:32pm by Jon McElwain »  

IP Logged

Bob Jennings

playing in the woodpile

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Reply #9 - Jan 20th, 2013 at 10:35pm

Jon McElwain wrote on Jan 18th, 2013 at 5:25pm:
I've never heard anyone say anything bad about the Vicmark lathes.You said that the Oneway is very popular in Canada.Do you think that is driven by a "buy Canadian" aphorism?Fantastic lathes no doubt, but the price is tough for many.

Jon:  I don't think there's a Canadian alliegance to Oneway,  maybe I'm wrong.   It might be that there are more Oneway's in Canada simply because they're made here and Vicmarc is Austrailian built.   

I'd hazard a guess that in the bigger lathe category there are more General's than Oneway's or Vicmarcs.

Hope you get good weather when you're here in June

cheers

bob

IP Logged

John Lawson
WR Addict

Wombats rule!

The Adirondacks, New York, USA
The Adirondacks
New York
USA

Reply #10 - Jan 21st, 2013 at 12:18am

Bob Jennings wrote on Jan 20th, 2013 at 10:35pm:
...Hope you get good weather when you're here in June...

The first time I visited Canada it was the third week of June.  It only snowed once.

Being well-read is not the same as knowing what you are doing.

IP Logged

Syd Sellers

WR Rocks!

West Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
West Kelowna
British Columbia
Canada

Reply #11 - Jan 21st, 2013 at 11:22am

Great shop Bob. Looks like you are one of my southern neighbours, keep up the fun work

Syd Sellers
Rocky Roost Wood Turning
If it isn't round, it hasn't been turned yet!
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Syd Sellers s.sellers@me.com  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print