WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

North Alabama, Alabama, USA
North Alabama
Alabama
USA

Silverware Chest
Feb 2nd, 2013 at 8:26pm

I built a couple of silverware chests.  The maple one is a gift to my brother and his lovely wife.

First one is from quilted maple with red heart trim and splines in the joints.  It is lined with the sliverware colth protection.  It has slots for 12 knives in the lid and 12 butter knives plus slots for the spoon, forks, etc in the bottom.

The second is from cherry and also trimmed with red heart.  The interior is the same layout in this one.  Last picture shows hinges and a dirty corner.  Both need waxing and buffing.

Botha re 12 by 19 by 4.5 inches and finished with wipe-on poly.  C&C welcomed.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register IMG_0454.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register IMG_0456.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register IMG_0459.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register IMG_0464.jpg (Attachment deleted)

If you attempt to be acceptable to all people, then you are special to none.
WWW overtrim1 http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.php?ref=profile&  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
David Hamann
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Re: Silverware Chest
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2013 at 11:32pm

very nice.  the maple and red heart go good together. smiley=beer.gif

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

steve rost
WR Devotee

Jigaholic

Mansfield, Texas, USA
Mansfield
Texas
USA

Reply #2 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 6:34pm

I like the quilted maple.  You say "dirty corner" on the last pic.  Don't know exactly what you mean..  Making boxes is harder than most realize.. If you are talking about the fit of the lid, I see a rounded corner.  If you miss the fit you can "chase-your-tail" trying to get it right and round the edges.  I have made hundreds of boxes over the years and rounded many an edge till I developed better methods.

One measure of a great craftsman is how well he can hide his mistakes!

IP Logged

Roger_Smith
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

North Alabama, Alabama, USA
North Alabama
Alabama
USA

Reply #3 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 8:31pm

steve rost wrote on Feb 6th, 2013 at 6:34pm:
I like the quilted maple.  You say "dirty corner" on the last pic.  Don't know exactly what you mean..  Making boxes is harder than most realize.. If you are talking about the fit of the lid, I see a rounded corner.  If you miss the fit you can "chase-your-tail" trying to get it right and round the edges.  I have made hundreds of boxes over the years and rounded many an edge till I developed better methods. 

i have the rounded corner, but do not intend to do anything about that.  I noticed in the picture that there is some dried rubbing compoud.  I am going to clean that and put a cout of wax on both chests.

If you attempt to be acceptable to all people, then you are special to none.
WWW overtrim1 http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.php?ref=profile&  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print