Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
16 is fun, but how about bigger.... (Read 6,075 times)

Đave Wendell
WR Addict

Charleston, SC, South Carolina, USA
Charleston, SC
South Carolina
USA

Re: 16 is fun, but how about bigger....
Reply #15 - Feb 15th, 2013 at 1:39pm

Walt wrote on Feb 15th, 2013 at 12:39pm:
I really like your design.  I have had something similar in my head for a while.  You have cleared up a few foggy area's.  thanks for sharing.

Walt, this wasn't that hard of a build actually.  Time consuming yes, but well worth it.  The 2 critical aspects are having the solid bar stock fit somewhat close inside the t-head section, and drilling out the 1" tool rest hole.  A shim could easily be added to the bar stock to take up any slop.  I had to pivot my drill press head in order to get the bar under it.  At the moment it is 40 3/4" long.  It would be cut according to your spindles center height.  I may end up taking another 1/4" off the bottom of mine, just so I have a little more play in the rest's downward movement. 

Taken prior to alignment and clamping.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Life's Short, Laugh Hard!

IP Logged

dennis nagle
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Waterford, Michigan, USA
Waterford
Michigan
USA

Reply #16 - Feb 15th, 2013 at 2:16pm

Thanks Dave.  I really like this design.  I want to build my own lathe next winter

I have 1.75" shaft material and bearings.  I also have 15 bags of ready mix concrete and lots of re-bar to make a concrete base.  I have a motor controller and now just need a Motor and.......a design for a tool rest.  This will be strictly a bowl lathe. 

With your permission, I'd like to use your design.  Cheers, Dennis.
« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2013 at 2:16pm by dennis nagle »  

My Art webpage

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Đave Wendell
WR Addict

Charleston, SC
South Carolina
USA

Reply #17 - Feb 15th, 2013 at 2:26pm

Not my design.  I found it being shared on the net by someone else.  I changed a few aspects to suite my needs and I'm sure anyone else building it will find things they need different as well.

IP Logged

dennis nagle
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Waterford, Michigan, USA
Waterford
Michigan
USA

Reply #18 - Feb 15th, 2013 at 3:01pm

Thanks Dave.  Whoever designed it did a good job.

My Art webpage

IP Logged

Freddie Hicks
WR Addict

Lubbock, Texas, USA
Lubbock
Texas
USA

Reply #19 - Feb 15th, 2013 at 6:59pm

Sorry but I think the bolts going thru the hollow tubing is a safety issue. I think a small piece of 1/2 plate welded on bottom of your attach point to the tubing and one on each end of the pieces in the knuckle where the bolt can't compress the joint would be a lot safer. Or a steel spacer inside the tubing around the bolts.
« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2013 at 7:27pm by Freddie Hicks »  

Mi Vida Echa en Madera

IP Logged

dennis nagle
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Waterford, Michigan, USA
Waterford
Michigan
USA

Reply #20 - Feb 15th, 2013 at 7:09pm

I would normally agree with you Freddie, but in this case, there is not that much pressure applied....or there shouldn't be.  It is just a snug friction fit.

My Art webpage

IP Logged

Freddie Hicks
WR Addict

Lubbock, Texas, USA
Lubbock
Texas
USA

Reply #21 - Feb 15th, 2013 at 7:26pm

Normaly I wouldn't answer you but those 1/2" bolts create 13,000 psi at rated torque, something as simple as a piece of 3/4 black pipe cut to proper length and placed inside can make for a very rigid and safe set up. I have a Vicmarc set up and the forces generated on large turnings are tremendous. I say be cautious,one trip to the emergency room and the price of the real thing would seem like a bargin.

Mi Vida Echa en Madera

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #22 - Feb 15th, 2013 at 7:56pm

When in doubt build stout. Even a spacer inside the tubes might help so the bolts can't crush the tubing.

Most of the force is focused down the post and to the floor. I think the worst case scenario is the hollow tubing might set up some vibration

IP Logged

Đave Wendell
WR Addict

Charleston, SC
South Carolina
USA

Reply #23 - Feb 15th, 2013 at 8:57pm

Freddie Hicks wrote on Feb 15th, 2013 at 7:26pm:
something as simple as a piece of 3/4 black pipe cut to proper length and placed inside can make for a very rigid and safe set up.

Freddie's right, safety first.

I had the same idea for a sleeve around the bolt.  The box tube arms are 3/16" walls.  As of yet I haven't noticed any deflection in them with the amount of torque it is taking to tighten them down to where I can't force them around.  I was originally going to weld caps to the ends as well, but may just do the sleeves instead, or possibly both.   I'll flip a coin later  Smiley 

I know some would prefer to pick up a store bought rig, and I would recommend the same to those who do not have the will or equipment to do their own.  I'm not saying this is perfect or without need for tweaking, but so far it seems to be working fine.  I don't go into these projects lightly.  I spend a lot of time researching every option I can.  If there is no track record I usually will not mess with it.  My wife is a nurse, but she'd rather take me to the ER than patch me back up.  So I take safety seriously.  If it doesn't make sense I just don't build it.  My gut feeling is that my lathe will fail me long before this rig ever does.

As far as vibration, so far I'm not noticing any more than what you get with normal banjo use.  We'll see how it is when I get some bigger material mounted.  I probably won't be pushing bowls much bigger than 20", but I'd like to see if I can get some 25"-30" platters out of it.  Like I said earlier, it all comes down to what the lathe will be capable of.

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #24 - Feb 15th, 2013 at 10:52pm

Looks great to me.  Been wanting to make one similar for my Nova for a long time now. 
Cool

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

dennis nagle
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Waterford, Michigan, USA
Waterford
Michigan
USA

Reply #25 - Feb 16th, 2013 at 8:46am

Yep, I totally agree that Safety is #1 in working with any machinery.  I was looking at the design from purely a analytical point of view.

It would certainly be much stronger and look like Jet made it, if there were compression tubes inside the square tubes, the ends were capped, and it was painted white.

Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers Smiley

My Art webpage

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #26 - Feb 16th, 2013 at 3:09pm

dave,'love the design i think i'll steal it for mine also check with wizz he may want one also lol

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Đave Wendell
WR Addict

Charleston, SC
South Carolina
USA

Reply #27 - Feb 16th, 2013 at 10:47pm

Almost ready for paint, just need a little more warmth.  I ended up welding the nuts to the underside of the arms.  After dragging out the calipers, there was some deflection when I cranked the bolts down.  I went ahead and made up the bolt sleeves for inside the box tubes.  No more deflection issues.  Then I tore it down and profiled the bracket to the leg of the lathe.  This opened up quite a bit more swing allowing me to be able to get to the entire back of the bowl more closely.  I also upgraded to grade 8 bolts and nuts.  I did find a minor problem.  I need to add another position on one of the sides for the bar stock locking lever.  It currently is in the way when behind a bowl.   I'm saving that one for tomorrow.   As you can see, the file cabinet and my wife's work shoes need a new home  Smiley 

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

dennis nagle
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Waterford, Michigan, USA
Waterford
Michigan
USA

Reply #28 - Feb 16th, 2013 at 11:46pm

Very professional looking Dave.  That really adds to the capabilities of your lathe.

My Art webpage

IP Logged

Freddie Hicks
WR Addict

Lubbock, Texas, USA
Lubbock
Texas
USA

Reply #29 - Feb 17th, 2013 at 10:27am

Very nice indeed. Here is a widget I rigged up for mine, it's a mill table with a router on it
« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2013 at 10:28am by Freddie Hicks »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register image_031.jpg (Attachment deleted)

Mi Vida Echa en Madera

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print