Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
16 is fun, but how about bigger.... (Read 8,976 times)

Đave Wendell
WR Addict

Charleston, SC, South Carolina, USA
Charleston, SC
South Carolina
USA

Re: 16 is fun, but how about bigger....
Reply #45 - Mar 22nd, 2013 at 8:09pm

Looks good Don  smiley=thumbsup.gif

Life's Short, Laugh Hard!

IP Logged

dennis nagle
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Waterford, Michigan, USA
Waterford
Michigan
USA

Reply #46 - Mar 22nd, 2013 at 9:39pm

Very nice Don.  That should not be going anywhere.  Please post more pix and description of your lathe.  Looks like a very cool piece too.

My Art webpage

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Don Bunce

WR Rocks!

Valparaiso, Indiana, USA
Valparaiso
Indiana
USA

Reply #47 - Mar 23rd, 2013 at 1:40am

I found this lathe at a used machinery place about 20 yrs ago,it was covered in many layers of paint,and the tailstock was from a smaller lathe.There are no markings on the castings,so I have no idea who it was made by,although it looks almost identical to lathes made by Porter.

I stripped the paint down to bare metal,primed and repainted it,and made a block of Baltic birch plywood to raise the tailstock to match the headstock.

I rigged up a bracket to hold the motor (1 hp)and countershaft,giving me 4 speeds.

It will swing 26" over the bed,and about 5 1/2 ft between centers.
The spindle is 3 1/4 dia,27"long,and is threaded 2 1/4",4 1/2 tpi,right hand on the inboard side,and left hand on the outboard side,with a #3 morse taper on each end.
The pulleys are made of mahogany,12",10",8",and 6" dia.

The bed is 8" long,3 1/2" x 9 1/4",and the legs are 6"x6".

It came with 9 faceplates,from 5" to 24".The 24" faceplate weighs 65 lbs!

The small tailstock is from my Rockwell/Delta 12" heavy duty lathe,for size comparison.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register phpT7bz7IPM_1_.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register phpJyEsVKPM_1_.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register phpFJzGppPM_1_.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register phpzjTGWaPM_1_.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

dennis nagle
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Waterford, Michigan, USA
Waterford
Michigan
USA

Reply #48 - Mar 23rd, 2013 at 6:53am

That is the coolest lathe I've ever seen....really!!!  Very early Oliver head stocks looked like that.  I'll try to find a pic I am thinking of.

Never mind.  I found the pic I was looking for and those early Olivers had their name embossed in the castings.
« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2013 at 6:57am by dennis nagle »  

My Art webpage

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print