Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Work in Progress - Chess Board (Read 1,595 times)

Justin Morris

WR Rocks!

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Avondale
Arizona
USA

Work in Progress - Chess Board
Feb 26th, 2013 at 9:01pm

so Ive decided to challenge my "fine wood working" skills (however small they may be) and make a chess board from tropical walnut and curly maple. I haven't decided what I am going to make the borders out of yet. once the board is done I will turn some pieces from the leftover walnut/maple.

The wood I'm working with both boards are 4/4 6x36 (also pictured is a new push stick I got when I got the wood, not bad, its more comfortable than the one I made lol):
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Walnut is supposedly not good to breath so I geared up while running the jointer and table/miter saw. I guess pink just isn't "my color" lol.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

cut down to 4/4 1.5x36 for the squares:

Cut them all on half, arranged and glued... gonna have a LOT of sanding to do tomorrow morning. (thats the bottom side of the board hence the dicolored bits in the maple grain)

That's it for now, I will update this post as I go. cant wait to see how good the wood looks with a super high gloss finish on it.
« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2013 at 9:04pm by Justin Morris »  

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
John Lawson
WR Supporter

Wombats rule!

Denton, Texas, USA
Denton
Texas
USA

Re: Work in Progress - Chess Board
Reply #1 - Feb 26th, 2013 at 11:51pm

That's going to be terrific!  When you're done with that, it'll be time to turn a chess set.

Being well-read is not the same as knowing what you are doing.

IP Logged

Justin Morris

WR Rocks!

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Avondale
Arizona
USA

Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2013 at 11:07pm

Sanded and leveled out and wiped down with a damp rag to get a "preview" of what the finish will bring out in the wood.

I wish I had a benchtop electric planer, would have saved me a LOT of sanding.

Sadly this is all I will get done on it today since my shop is in the garage and the neighbors have a 6mo old baby so I don't like to make much noise after dark.

Next project... sound proof the garage  Cheesy

Also I am undecided on what kind of wood I should use for the border, I don't think I want to use curly maple or walnut since it will "blend" with edge squares. I was thinking maybe mahogany or blood wood. Suggestions?
« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2013 at 11:10pm by Justin Morris »  

IP Logged

John Lawson
WR Supporter

Wombats rule!

Denton, Texas, USA
Denton
Texas
USA

Reply #3 - Feb 27th, 2013 at 11:29pm

According to the Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register bloodwood can splinter, and will darken when exposed to light.  Mahogany is easier to work, and take care of. 

I would suggest mahogany because it is very traditional for chessboards to be made of some combination of maple, walnut and mahogany, and because the results may be better due to the qualities of bloodwood.

I would be more inclined to go with bloodwood if the other timbers were also unusual, like yellowheart and canary wood.

Being well-read is not the same as knowing what you are doing.

IP Logged

Justin Morris

WR Rocks!

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Avondale
Arizona
USA

Reply #4 - Feb 28th, 2013 at 9:14pm

got a little bit more done today, cross cut the slices and glued them up. in a few hours I will have an actual chess board... after a whole bunch of sanding to get it smooth and level again after flipping slices.

The cross cuts test fit. (lovely ghetto outfeed table for small stock in the background, lol gonna build a proper one soon)

All Glued up:

Tomorrow I will get to sand it all smooth and nice, then it will be off to the lumber shop to get a nice board for the border.

IP Logged

Jenny Trice
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

St. Paul, MN, Minnesota, USA
St. Paul, MN
Minnesota
USA

Reply #5 - Mar 1st, 2013 at 3:52pm

My vote for the border is cherry.  Keep it all domestic.  Nice job so far.  Thanks for sharing.  It is fun to watch the progress.

IP Logged

Justin Morris

WR Rocks!

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Avondale
Arizona
USA

Reply #6 - Mar 1st, 2013 at 7:18pm

Hmmm, I like the idea of cherry.

The playing area is almost done. I need to work my way up through the higher grit sand paper, so far I've only hit it with 80 grit. I am going to work my way up to 1000 or so.

There are some very slight/gradual high spots I still need to sand out too. Chances are no one would notice them, but I do and that's all the motivation I need to fix them lol.

Oh and that is "buddy" the miniature schnauzer in the background staring at birds in the yard lol.
« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2013 at 7:18pm by Justin Morris »  

IP Logged

Bert Delisle
WR Devotee

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Reply #7 - Mar 2nd, 2013 at 5:44pm

Very nice, I can see a design opportunity, put a frame around the playing surface and then TURN it into a table top unit.  Smiley
It will work just fine square but HEY this a turning forum,  smiley=lolk.gif smiley=lolk.gif smiley=lolk.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Robert Hayward
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Tampa area, Florida, USA
Tampa area
Florida
USA

3520b
Reply #8 - Mar 2nd, 2013 at 10:07pm

A thin, 1/8" ~ 3/16" or so, initial border of a semi contrasting color wood and then a Cherry wider border would look real good. Maybe Oak on the thin border.

Bob

IP Logged

Justin Morris

WR Rocks!

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Avondale
Arizona
USA

Reply #9 - Mar 2nd, 2013 at 11:08pm

Yeah I like the idea of a thin strip. I was thinking about running a small groove on the inner edge of the border with my router and doing an inlay of some abalone that you can get from grizzly industrial.

not sure exactly how well that would look though.
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2013 at 11:08pm by Justin Morris »  

IP Logged

Breck Whitworth
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Gulfport, Mississippi, USA
Gulfport
Mississippi
USA

PM 3520-B
Reply #10 - Mar 7th, 2013 at 6:45pm

Looking real good Justin, wish I could play you in a game when it is finished. Just love the game of Chess. I like the idea of doing up the border with two contrasting types of wood or even an inlay like you mentioned.  smiley=thumbsup.gif

May the Lord Bless the work of our hands! And Necessity is the mother of invention:

IP Logged

steve rost
WR Devotee

Jigaholic

Mansfield, Texas, USA
Mansfield
Texas
USA

Reply #11 - Mar 8th, 2013 at 6:06pm

Justin,  Your comment about sanding brought back memories of a diningroom table I built a long long time ago with two inch squares of Walnut for the top.   Wish I knew then about cabnet scrapers,  if you don't have them get some and learn how to sharpen them.  Will cut down on all that sanding.  Anxious to see your turned pieces.

One measure of a great craftsman is how well he can hide his mistakes!

IP Logged

Len Layman
WR Patron

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Reply #12 - Mar 8th, 2013 at 9:35pm

Justin.  Time for an update!!!

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #13 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 7:08am

Justin Morris wrote on Mar 2nd, 2013 at 11:08pm:
Yeah I like the idea of a thin strip. I was thinking about running a small groove on the inner edge of the border with my router and doing an inlay of some abalone that you can get from grizzly industrial.

not sure exactly how well that would look though.

I've use this before, its nice stuff. Just be aware that it is laminated which means be careful not to go though to the next layer when you are sanding.

Also, you think wood dust is bad for you? This stuff is worse. Wear lung protection.
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2013 at 7:08am by Ron Sardo »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print