Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Great day at woodcraft (Read 2,350 times)

Tom Wirth
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Shortsville, New York, USA
Shortsville
New York
USA

Great day at woodcraft
Mar 1st, 2013 at 10:44am

Using the great advice from the forum...I went up to Woodcraft yesterday to purchase the 8" grinder on the last day of the sale at $99.

They decided to start the spring sale a day early so I picked up all the rest that I needed as in the Wolverine Jig, Vari Grind Jig, and a whole bunch of other stuff I needed (as in wanted) all at 15% off.  The Wolverine priced out at $76 and change!

I will have sharp tools again sometime today.

Thought that was pretty cool.

Tom

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Re: Great day at woodcraft
Reply #1 - Mar 1st, 2013 at 11:41am

Did you turn the grinder on before you took it out of the store? There was a thread on another forum about some of them making high pitched noises during start up, and most think that should not happen. Some had problems with them running as well.

robo hippy

IP Logged

dennis nagle
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Waterford, Michigan, USA
Waterford
Michigan
USA

Reply #2 - Mar 1st, 2013 at 12:10pm

I just got back from WC and did the same thing.  I have a  6" grinder with bad wheels.  When I walked it to buy the Wolverine and varigrind, I ended up buying the package which also included their 8" grinder with white wheels.

When I got it home (20 mins ago) I plugged in the grinder and hit the switch.  It sounds like a plane crashing until it hits full RPM, then it is smooth and quite. 

My Craftsman 6" does the exact same thing and I've had it and used it heavy for 20 years now.  Go figure.

My Art webpage

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Jeff Frankel
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

West Hills, CA, California, USA
West Hills, CA
California
USA

Reply #3 - Mar 1st, 2013 at 7:11pm

As robo hippy mentioned you need to turn them on before taking them home. I din't, but my local store exchanged it for another, which I turned on it was fine.
There seems to be a balance problem with them, but when you get a good one they work great; and the price point is great.

Once an Eagle always an Eagle.

IP Logged

dennis nagle
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Waterford, Michigan, USA
Waterford
Michigan
USA

Reply #4 - Mar 2nd, 2013 at 3:51am

I wish I had known this.  My WC is 20 miles away.  I'm going back in a couple hours.

My Art webpage

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Tom Wirth
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Shortsville
New York
USA

Reply #5 - Mar 2nd, 2013 at 5:47pm

I did have to go back.  Vibration was a problem.

It's the wheels.  The left side was fine but the right ran out side to side maybe 3/32".

They only had one left and I had them take it back to the workshop room and it ran out too, not nearly as bad.  But, the nuts on the spindles were only hand tight and when we turned the flanges maybe a 1/4 turn and retightened,  everything was fine.  When I true up the OD it will even be better.

PITA to go all the way back but it's done.

Tom

IP Logged

dennis nagle
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Waterford, Michigan, USA
Waterford
Michigan
USA

Reply #6 - Mar 2nd, 2013 at 7:50pm

Good to know Tom.  I returned mine this morning.  The new one is better bit still makes noise until it spins up to full.

My Art webpage

IP Logged

Tom Wirth
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Shortsville
New York
USA

Reply #7 - Mar 3rd, 2013 at 8:03am

The guy who helped me @WC was an older retired Design Engineer from Delphi (read GM) fuel systems div.  He really seemed helpful and seemed to know his stuff.

He says they all do that kind of screamin noise when they spool up and explained it as "harmonics".
He says nothing to worry about.  ( I Hope)

Grinder is mounted, wheels trued, and it's smooth as a shaver.  Today my tools will be sharper I hope.

My thought is that it's an adequate grinder at a good price (on sale) with wheels that are the right grit size but are not made well and that is pretty much common to most.  I think you could open up 10 and see the same thing with some better than others.

Tom

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #8 - Mar 3rd, 2013 at 12:49pm

I have never heard of any motor making that type of noises unless some thing is wrong with it. I have a lot of electric motors in my shop. I am skeptical.

There is a long thread about this on the AAW site. More experts there, and they do know more than I do.

robo hippy

IP Logged

jesse smart
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

cincinnati, Ohio, USA
cincinnati
Ohio
USA

Reply #9 - Mar 3rd, 2013 at 2:24pm

I just got one to.  makes the same racket on start up. The flanges are awfully cheep but I can get the wheels to spin fairly true.  it has no runout on the spindle itself.

the guy at wc said its as good as it gets at the price point and if i want better to buy a baldor.

IP Logged

John Lawson
WR Supporter

Wombats rule!

Denton, Texas, USA
Denton
Texas
USA

Reply #10 - Mar 3rd, 2013 at 2:59pm

jesse smart wrote on Mar 3rd, 2013 at 2:24pm:
...the guy at wc said its as good as it gets at the price point and if i want better to buy a baldor.

That sounds like a crock.  I have a $25 Grizzly 6" grinder, and while it's not quiet, it doesn't make screeching noises either.  It just sound like a cheap machine, not like there's something wrong with it.

Being well-read is not the same as knowing what you are doing.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #11 - Mar 3rd, 2013 at 3:02pm

Part of getting your grinder to run true is finding out why there is wobble.

First, take both wheels off and run the grinder to check for run out in the shaft on both sides. If they run true, you are ready for step 2. If there is noticeable wobble, try another one because no matter which wheel is on your grinder, it will still wobble. I think the main reason some will wobble when you start the grinder up is because of lousy bushings, and once they are up to speed, the rotation/centrifugal force will make the wheel run more smoothly and over come the run out in the bushing.

Two, the standard plastic bushings that come with the wheels are junk. Toss them and get some good ones. Not sure where this can be done, but Grainger and McMaster Carr (I think that is who they are), and other fastener places have these as standard in stock stuff.

Three, mount one wheel. Turn the grinder on and see how much wobble there is. If there is almost none, then it is probably as good as you are going to get. Make a mark on the wheel, and the shaft so when you take it off to do the other side, you can remount the wheel in the exact same position. If there is a lot of wobble, even at full speed, you need to fix that. First, you mark the shaft and wheel, then rotate the grinder wheel 45 degrees/1/4 turn, and turn it on again. Rotate to 180, 270, and back to 0 again to see how much difference this makes. Some wheels are just out of balance, and this rotation can get it to a sweet spot. Again, a lot of this can be cured with a good bushing.

Four, after taking the first wheel off, repeat this with the other wheel.

Five, repeat this with both wheels on the grinder.

Side note: If it is close, then this is when and where you need to true up the wheel. There are fancy jigs to do this. The simple way is to have a stable grinding platform. You can ease the diamond wheel dresser slowly into the face of the grinding wheel, and hold it stable on the platform. The idea is to slowly nibble off the high spots by easing the dresser into the wheel rather than just holding the dresser onto the wheel, which will clean the wheel, but not true it up. I think Bob Hamilton had a tip or three on doing this as well. If there is side ways wobble, this can be cleaned up as well. Again, most of this is due to bad plastic bushings. Safety note here, standard matrix type grinding wheels are not made for any kind or side ways pressure on the wheel. Use extra caution if you try to true up the side of the wheel as any hard pressure can break the wheel. Another safety issue is tightening up the nut onto the wheel. You want it finger tight, and a very gentle wrench tighten up only. If you really tighten it down, you can crack the matrix type wheels, or put so much stress on it that any tiny stress on the wheel will cause it to break. Flying bits of grinding wheels are every bit as dangerous as flying wood chunks.

If your grinder runs true and quiet out of the box, you can eliminate all of the above steps, specialty tools, and wheel breaking dangers by buying the CBN wheels and bushings from D Way tools.

I am not sure if the moderators would want me to post the link to the AAW thread on the Woodcraft grinders or not, but it is in the main topic section. Worth reading.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Tom Wirth
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Shortsville
New York
USA

Reply #12 - Mar 3rd, 2013 at 7:58pm

Robo - and others

This is ...way out of hand.

I am a retired owner  of a machine shop and worked in the shop for 30+ years.  Not bragging but saying, I know a little bit about troubleshooting.

I have a (2nd) WC grinder that I have rotated the wheels and found a "sweet spot" where they run out 1/16 or less.  I then dressed the wheels with the one way diamond system perfectly true on the OD.  It vibrates now within what I would call acceptable if not very smooth.

I ground some tools and it works acceptable, if not great.

But...It screeches until it gets up to speed.

Should I return it realizing it won't last?

If so...what grinder would be the best next step to as a replacement knowing that $99 was a wish and $400 is a bank buster?

Still looking for help and advice,

Tom

IP Logged

Jeff Vanden Boogart
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Rural Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
Rural Green Bay
Wisconsin
USA

PM 3520
Reply #13 - Mar 3rd, 2013 at 8:06pm

Tom, I looked for a decent grinder for quite a while.  For the most part, there seems to be two choices....cheap ones @ 100 or Baldor @ 800

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #14 - Mar 3rd, 2013 at 8:30pm

Robo, Go ahead and post the link.

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print