WR Addict

The Cross Guy

Carlos, Tx, Texas, USA
Carlos, Tx
Texas
USA

Computer Table Project
Mar 11th, 2013 at 7:34am

A friend approached me a couple of weeks ago with a project idea that he had.  He had just become involved with taking care of his grandfathers house after his death.  He has only met his grandfather a few times, and has never met his dad.  While working on this cleaning out of things project, he found what was left of his mothers old sewing machine out in the nearby woods, and he also found a pile of Walnut boards from a tree that his grandfather had cut down in his from yard and then cut into boards.  An uncle told him the boards aint no good cause he tried to make something with them years ago and they were so hard that you can't nail them together. My friend, knowing that I have my cross ministry, and that I make cool things from old wood, brought me the pile of old Walnut boards.

While he was dropping them off, he told me about what was left of his mother sewing table and how he would like to find somebody that could/would make some sort of new top for it so he can use it for a computer desk.  I suggested that he bring it to me on his next trip down there, and I'll try to take some of the Walnut planks and put together something.

When the sewing machine finally made it's way there, it was bad.  The main machine was long gone, and the rest was in about as bad of shape as could be.  His wife even commented that she doesn't know why y'all are doing this because this pile of junk is never going into their house.

It took me several weeks.  What was left of the top was full of termites.  The metal frame was rusted real bad.  The Walnut was dirty, dusty, warped and twisted.  There were 6 boards that I could sort out in the pile that I thought I might can put together a top with. 

Once the top was finally glued up, and I could start sanding on it, I decided that I might collect some of the sanding dust to make some filler.  Once all of the belt sanding was done, I had collected a full gallon bucket of dust.  It still had a twist in two of the boards on the right side of the top, but to take that out, I would have had to have it planed to about 3/8" think and I really didn't want to do that.

I had him stop by to see that and he decided he liked it and agreed to just leave it as. His wife refused to come in the shop and look at it.

It took me another week to finish sand it and work through a spray gun issue.  Then I worked on cleaning up the frame, which I sanded with an orbital sander, using some old paper, that knocked off the major rust, but still left some, but in some places, the original black paint started to show. I cleaned up the original switch and light, rewired that and got it working, then I cleaned up the little drawer that was on the original machine, but I added a new face to it to match the top.  I clear coated the entire thing, and the paint that was still left on the light just seemed to appear out of nowhere

I took it to him this Sunday and he just about broke down in tears.  This is probably going to be the only thing that he will have from his mother and grandfather.  His wife was speechless when she saw it.  I think it turned out real nice.  There are some green and purple colors in the wood that just appeared once the finish was applied.

I also decided that he would need a cross to hang on the wall above it from the same supply of the wood.

This picture really doesn't do this project any justice.  I may need to read some topic on photographing projects.

« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2013 at 7:39am by Charlie Zapalac »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register CompuDesk__Small_.jpeg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Don Davis
WR Patron

Safety first!

Stillwater, Oklahoma, USA
Stillwater
Oklahoma
USA

Re: Computer Table Project
Reply #1 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 7:44am

Charlie, what a wonderful thing you have done! I know your friend will cherish your work, and perhaps his wife now realizes that some things are worth salvaging.

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #2 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 12:35am

very nice.  you did a beautiful job. smiley=thumbsup.gif

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

steve rost
WR Devotee

Jigaholic

Mansfield, Texas, USA
Mansfield
Texas
USA

Reply #3 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 6:28pm

Great job.  Most of us have had similar experiences and we know what it took to do this.  Your skills and patience show thru!

One measure of a great craftsman is how well he can hide his mistakes!

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #4 - Mar 16th, 2013 at 4:50pm

Excellent.  You did a great job indeed.
Cool

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print