Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Just sharing turned items... (Read 2,314 times)

Kathy Jekel
WR Addict

Life... time and space,
it's up to you to fill
it!

Chandler, Oklahoma, USA
Chandler
Oklahoma
USA

Just sharing turned items...
Mar 12th, 2013 at 12:28pm

I enjoy taking small pieces of different woods and making Mosaic Bowls.  The large Walnut bowl is 10" in diameter x 4" in height. The small bowl was cored from the center of the large bowl.  The small bowl is 8" in diameter x 2" in height. 

The other item is a lidded goblet made from a Maple burl and Ebony measuring 3.5" in diameter at the rim x 11.5" in height.
C/C welcome.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Mosaic_Walnut_Bowl_Lg.JPG (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Mosaic_Walnut_Bowl_sm.JPG (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Ebony___Maple_goblet.JPG (Attachment deleted)

Kathy Jekel
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Robert Harper
WR Addict

WR doesn't rock, it RULES!

Salt Lake City, UT, Utah, USA
Salt Lake City, UT
Utah
USA

Re: Just sharing turned items...
Reply #1 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 3:29pm

I love the rims on the bowls. Almost like a coral snake wrapped around.

The goblet looks good but to take it over the top, I think the thin parts of the stem could be much thinner and the finial could be thinner and more defined. They just look a little heavier than I've been used to seeing. If you've never seen Cindy Drozda's work, it would be great. She takes finial to a whole new level. I'm still trying to get in the same country let alone zip code.

Live long, love life, and sail fast. Oh and turn fast too.
WWW Robert Harper rharper@xmission.com  
IP Logged

Dirk Hoogendoorn
WR Patron

either a mistake or design
opportunity

Meaford Ont., Ontario, Canada
Meaford Ont.
Ontario
Canada

Reply #2 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 4:23pm

I'm with Robert, just love the rim on the bowl, really sets it off. The form of the goblet is really lovely, but as Robert said, maybe the thinning out of the thin parts so to speak, to give the stem and finial more form. Nice work. smiley=thumbsup.gif

I may be shiny, but not brand new

IP Logged

Edward Cypher

WR Rocks!

Reply #3 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 5:15pm

Love the goblet.

IP Logged

Tony Rozendaal
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

East Troy, WI, Wisconsin, USA
East Troy, WI
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #4 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 7:35pm

I love all three pieces.

I've never attempted a finial so to me, it looks like a super great job.

Turnin' and learnin'

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW trozendaal  
IP Logged

Jenny Trice
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

St. Paul, MN, Minnesota, USA
St. Paul, MN
Minnesota
USA

Reply #5 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 7:36pm

Beautiful bowls Kathy.  Can you share how you get the pieces joined on the edge of the bowls.  I have lots of little scrap wood that would like to find its way onto a bowl Smiley

Very nice finish on the bowls too.
« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2013 at 7:37pm by Jenny Trice »  

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #6 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 8:47pm

i agree with the others bowls are excellent  but finial & base could be thinner but it is very well done beautiful work.

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Harry Robinette

turners do it with a spin

Reply #7 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 8:52pm

Kathy
I like them all,that ring on the bowl lip is outstanding I would also like to know how you did it. I've been working out how I think you did it but just not sure.
The lidded hollow form I think would have more of a pop when you see it if the stem and finial were a little thinner but it looks good the way it is.

Harry Robinette-Woodspinner

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Walt
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Hanford, California, USA
Hanford
California
USA

PM 3520A
Reply #8 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 9:07pm

Those are absolutely gorgeous!

IP Logged

Bert Delisle
WR Devotee

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Reply #9 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 9:13pm

Awesome! smiley=thumbsup.gif

IP Logged

Bernie Weishapl
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Goodland, Kansas, USA
Goodland
Kansas
USA

Reply #10 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 9:57pm

Beautiful Kathy. I really love the rims on the bowls and the goblet is outstanding.

Bernie

To succeed in life, you need three things:  a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

IP Logged

Yuval Lahav

Who 'dat?

Ladispoli, Italy
Ladispoli
Italy

Reply #11 - Mar 13th, 2013 at 7:35am

Jenny Trice wrote on Mar 12th, 2013 at 7:36pm:
Beautiful bowls Kathy.  Can you share how you get the pieces joined on the edge of the bowls.  I have lots of little scrap wood that would like to find its way onto a bowl Smiley

Very nice finish on the bowls too.

Up-voting this request!

And nice bowl, and I love the cup, don't know about making the thin part thinner, it looks just right to me, don't it comes down to taste?

Well, what can I tell you? Life in the wide world goes on much as if it has past age. Full of its own comings and goings, scarcely even aware of the existence of Hobbits...,  ...for which I am very thankful.
Yuval Lahav  
IP Logged

Kathy Jekel
WR Addict

Life... time and space,
it's up to you to fill
it!

Chandler, Oklahoma, USA
Chandler
Oklahoma
USA

Reply #12 - Mar 13th, 2013 at 2:36pm

Thanks for the c/c's.  I may have to try the thinner finials next time.  I like how this one turned out for this piece. It seems balanced.

The finish on the bowls was Mahoney's Walnut Oil, 10 coats, applied over several days.  The small one was buffed.  The large one still needs to be buffed.

For the bowl rims, I sand three sides of the small pieces of wood to enable good contact. I use medium CA glue and glue them to the flat rim of the bowl. (Wear gloves, because you will get glue on your fingers and keep a paper towel handy). Place the pieces together like a puzzle. Strive for a snug fit using light and dark alternating colors. Use different shapes to make the piece interesting.  I usually work both ends as I go around the bowl. This allows the one I just put in place to set up a little before I go to the next piece.  You can vary this process in many different ways, so just play with it. Variations can be anything such as alternating black and white or square pieces, maybe all triangles, etc. You may want to dry fit the pieces before gluing if you've never done this before. Once you do a few it's easy.  The last piece is the trick. By using a triangle you can adjust the piece by sliding it into place until you have a snug fit. I'll post photos of the process with the next Mosaic bowl I work on.  Smiley  If you have any question, just ask...be happy to help...

Kathy Jekel
IP Logged

Jenny Trice
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

St. Paul, MN, Minnesota, USA
St. Paul, MN
Minnesota
USA

Reply #13 - Mar 13th, 2013 at 6:13pm

Thanks for sharing Kathy.  So are the pieces all the same thickness?  And, how close are they to the edge circumference of the bowl?  I'm wondering about the turning of the rim.

IP Logged

Bill Neff
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Barronett, Wisconsin, USA
Barronett
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #14 - Mar 13th, 2013 at 8:17pm

Very nice work.  I like them all.  Since everyone thinks the stem & finials could be thinner, I think this is an example growing finials.  They were thinner on the lathe, but they gained weight when put on the goblet.

Some people are like slinkies... totally worthless but it puts a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print