Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Just sharing turned items... (Read 2,355 times)

Breck Whitworth
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Gulfport, Mississippi, USA
Gulfport
Mississippi
USA

PM 3520-B
Re: Just sharing turned items...
Reply #15 - Mar 13th, 2013 at 9:20pm

Kathy those bowls are gorgeous, you have a family heirloom with those. I have a soft spot for walnut and you shape is wonderful and your finish is superior. The coral snake colors are a delightful addition to beautiful work! smiley=thumbsup.gif

May the Lord Bless the work of our hands! And Necessity is the mother of invention:

IP Logged

David Brown

WR Rocks!

Franklin, North Carolina, USA
Franklin
North Carolina
USA

Reply #16 - Mar 13th, 2013 at 9:30pm

perfect like it is finials and all. Very well ballanced in mho. Your work is always very nice. Thanks for sharing it. smilies=bowdown

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #17 - Mar 13th, 2013 at 11:06pm

As usual, Kathey, your work is beautiful.  Very nicely done.
Cool

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY. Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens. Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Les Barker
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia
Toowoomba
Queensland
Australia

Reply #18 - Mar 14th, 2013 at 12:06am

I think your goblet is just perfect. I like the finials. Too thin looks to me like they will snap.

IP Logged

Kathy Jekel
WR Addict

Life... time and space,
it's up to you to fill
it!

Chandler, Oklahoma, USA
Chandler
Oklahoma
USA

Reply #19 - Mar 15th, 2013 at 10:08am

Jenny Trice wrote on Mar 13th, 2013 at 6:13pm:
So are the pieces all the same thickness? And, how close are they to the edge circumference of the bowl? I'm wondering about the turning of the rim.

Hi Jenny, the thickness doesn't really matter as far as attaching the small pieces of wood. After I turn the bowl, I apply a finish to prevent the CA from staining the bowl and with the bowl still on the chuck, I sand the rim by using a 2x4 with sand paper glued to it. Moving the tool rest up to the bowl and placing the 2x4 across the tool rest. Hold on to the 2x4 and turn the lathe on a slow speed. Sanding the rim prepares the surface for the small pieces. I hand sand the small pieces on three sides and glue them on the rim with the medium CA. Be sure to cover all three sides when gluing. Some pieces will be taller and longer than other because they are scrap pieces and will stick out in all directions. They will be turned down once you put the bowl back on the lathe to turn the rim. I usually will let the CA glue set up over night to ensure a strong hold. When you start to turn the rim, take what I call "baby bites" so you don't chip off any pieces.  Stop and look at the piece as you turn it.  Once you have the rim shaped, sand and finish the bowl.

Kathy Jekel
IP Logged

Jim Tankersley

I like the wood

Tarpley, Texas, USA
Tarpley
Texas
USA

Reply #20 - Mar 15th, 2013 at 8:06pm

That's a really cool idea for the bowls, and the cup is very nice too. It's all Rice Crispies when I try to make finials. bang head

Keep em comin!
Jim

The blog of our antics with goats, woodworking and housebuilding: 12MilesToUtopia.blogspot.com

Facebook: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register; for bee, woodworking, soap and goat posts
WWW JimilyFarms  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print