Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Credit Card sales at shows (Read 3,489 times)

Bill Neff
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Barronett, Wisconsin, USA
Barronett
Wisconsin
USA

Jet 1642EVS
Credit Card sales at shows
Mar 18th, 2013 at 12:01pm

SWMBO suggested I look into taking credit cards at a couple of shows I do.  She said at a show where in Minn. she and the daughter bought some art and the vendor used a "thingy" that allowed him to swipe the card and then download it all that evening.   Since we don't have smart phones I'm thinking this might be the way to go. 

Does anyone here have any experience with these?  (What's funny is when I suggested this a couple years ago, she poo-pooed the idea.)

Thanks!!

Some people are like slinkies... totally worthless but it puts a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Re: Credit Card sales at shows
Reply #1 - Mar 18th, 2013 at 12:26pm

Bill, I used to use the Flash device from Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register where you took it home and connected to your computer at night.  BTW, you had to purchase the device.  I dropped it because their annual fees were absurd for the amount of sales I was processing.  They have recently reduced their annual fees for small accounts.  They also offer a smart phone device for "free" but with an $3 additional annual fee. 

I switched to Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register where there is no cost for the scanner and no annual fee.  In the 2 years since I switched, I have saved enough from the annual fees to have paid for my smart phone.  I still have to pay for the cellphone data service, but I find that I use it much more than I thought I would.

Any credit card service requires that you provide a receipt with your name and phone and you keep a copy with the customer's signature.  Square allows a signature on the phone touch screen, but the receipt is emailed.  I printed receipts on NCR paper with my info on the top so I could provide the customer with an immediate printed, signed receipt and I indicate on the phone that the signature is "on file".

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Jeff Hart

Enjoy the ride!

Aurora, Illinois, USA
Aurora
Illinois
USA

Reply #2 - Mar 18th, 2013 at 12:28pm

I use the "square" card reader at my shows (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register). It doesn't get any easier. They send you the reader for free. You set up an account with them, their take is 2.75% per transaction when the card is swiped or 3.15% when you manually type in the card info. They then deposit the money in your bank account the next business day (minus their fee). You do need to have either an IPad, IPhone or an Android-based smartphone.

I have also seen other vendors with different card systems that they got from banks such as Chase but I am not familiar with those.

Never do anything halfway!
IP Logged

Mark Levitski
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #3 - Mar 18th, 2013 at 7:30pm

We use Intuit GoPayment, which seems similar to Square. Extremely easy, friendly, and prompt for payment. Their fees are great and free swiper too.

IP Logged

John Solie

Murrieta, California, USA
Murrieta
California
USA

Reply #4 - Apr 10th, 2013 at 5:24pm

I've used Square for my photography work.  It's more expensive (percentage wise) than other options, but because of my low volume, I'd rather pay the occasional higher percentage than an ongoing monthly fee.  The funds are automagically transferred into my business checking account, usually within 48 hours.

One thing that I found with some people is that they don't like signing with their finger.  I have a stylus somewhere that's been pretty helpful.  I think CS even sells a stylus kit, so you could at least make a wooden one.

IP Logged

Bill Neff
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Barronett, Wisconsin, USA
Barronett
Wisconsin
USA

Jet 1642EVS
Reply #5 - Apr 12th, 2013 at 9:19pm

Thanks guys.  Our problem is that neither the wife or i have smart phones or an ipad.   That will probably change with the next phone upgrade.  I even tossed out the idea to her about buying a clean used phone and swapping the phones.

Since I only do 3-4 shows I'll go with a plan with the percentage rather than the ongoing monthly fee.

Some people are like slinkies... totally worthless but it puts a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #6 - Apr 13th, 2013 at 12:47pm

Does anyone know if Square will work on a Samsung Galaxy tablet?

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Jeff Hart

Enjoy the ride!

Aurora, Illinois, USA
Aurora
Illinois
USA

Reply #7 - Apr 13th, 2013 at 8:14pm

Its my understanding that The IPad's are the only tablets supported at this time. Google "square compatability" for a double check.

Never do anything halfway!
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #8 - Apr 13th, 2013 at 11:01pm

I don't know which one you have, but there is this on the Square site.

Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0      The headset jack is not compatible with Square's Mobile Card Reader, so this device can only accept manually-entered payments.

For more info, check their compatibility page.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #9 - Apr 14th, 2013 at 6:58am

JimQuarles wrote on Apr 13th, 2013 at 11:01pm:
I don't know which one you have, but there is this on the Square site.

Galaxy Tab2 7"

I lsearched their site and didn't come up with an answer.

Thanks anyway

IP Logged

Roger_Smith
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

North Alabama, Alabama, USA
North Alabama
Alabama
USA

Reply #10 - Apr 14th, 2013 at 7:01am

PayPal also has a card reader for smart phones if you have a PayPal account.  I think the reader is free with a percentage charge for each transaction.

If you attempt to be acceptable to all people, then you are special to none.
WWW overtrim1 http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.php?ref=profile&  
IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #11 - Apr 14th, 2013 at 7:47am

I searched the comments in google play for this device. It seems those that use square have mixed results. Paypal was a little better but not by much.

IP Logged

Bert Delisle
WR Addict

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Reply #12 - Aug 18th, 2013 at 8:36am

Just signed up for a Squareup card reader, for use with my Ipad. Looking forward to using it as my niche market is at a location that has Wifi and where folks don't carry a lot of cash but all have credit cards.  Gift season is approaching and small turned objects seem very popular as an impulse buy. Wish me luck.
I will comment on the user experience with the Squareup reader after I get some on line time with it. So far it looks like a very easy system.

IP Logged

Tony Rozendaal
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

East Troy, WI, Wisconsin, USA
East Troy, WI
Wisconsin
USA

Robust AB
Grizzly 12x20 Midi Lathe
Delta 10x16 Mini Lathe
Reply #13 - Aug 18th, 2013 at 7:07pm

Ron Sardo wrote on Apr 13th, 2013 at 12:47pm:
Does anyone know if Square will work on a Samsung Galaxy tablet?

This may not be helpful but it works on the Samsung Galaxy phone.

Turnin' and learnin'

WWW trozendaal  
IP Logged

Richard Grover

WR Rocks!

Columbia, South Carolina, USA
Columbia
South Carolina
USA

Jet 1840
Reply #14 - Oct 21st, 2013 at 10:36am

I realize this is an old post, but since I am new to this site and was just looking around I thought I would answer anyway.

I have been using Square for my shows.  Only two problems.  First I forgot my passwaord - not their fault. Second, I did have problems with one sale that did not register right away, swiped card second time still did not go through.  After about an hour both sales went through.  I did find out that this customer had problems using their card with a different vendor - so my guess is that it was a card issue not a Square issue.  I was able to easily issue a credit for the second charge from my computer, not my smart phone.

For someone who does only four or five shows a year Square is excellant and i would highly reccomend them.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print