Norbert Dupas
WR Addict

Oakbank, Manitoba, Canada
Oakbank
Manitoba
Canada

This Forum
Mar 19th, 2013 at 12:46am

I don't want to be out of line here, but I'm kindof disappointed to see that "Woodturner's Resource" seems to have dropped in online members.  I've been off it for quite a while, but when I did post work on the site in the Gallery in the past, there was almost always comments posted.  I just checked my last pieces I made, and not one comment was posted  Shocked  Not even on the majority of them on the 1st page.  I guess times have changed, I'm sad to see.  Maybe I'm out of touch, as I haven't been on in a while, but where are all the guys I used to see posting comments?  Guys like "Wizzy, Bill Bolen, Rev Doug Miller, Bob from Canada?"  Maybe my pieces weren't good enough for the newer members that have joined, but I think they are, or perhaps they're too busy to leave a quick comment, or just tire-kickers?  Hope things get better here. Cry

...Bert

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Re: This Forum
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2013 at 11:50am

Bert, most have been posting their work in Turning Talk, even though the pictures drop off after a while.  We keep talking about the gallery where the pictures are permanent, but it takes a second registration step.  During tax season, I seldom have the time to go to the gallery, and never have time to hit the lathe.  Wizzy is on medical leave, but the rest are still hanging around.

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Norbert Dupas
WR Addict

Oakbank
Manitoba
Canada

Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2013 at 1:34pm

Thanks for answering my post.  For a second there I thought I'd get no reply on this also.  What's up with Wizzy?  I hope it's nothing serious?

...Bert

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #3 - Mar 19th, 2013 at 2:37pm

Mostly old age.

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Dirk Hoogendoorn
WR Addict

either a mistake or design
opportunity

Meaford Ont., Ontario, Canada
Meaford Ont.
Ontario
Canada

Reply #4 - Mar 19th, 2013 at 8:08pm

Yeah, I miss Wizzy on this forum as well, always some lightheartedness.

I may be shiny, but not brand new

IP Logged

Norbert Dupas
WR Addict

Oakbank
Manitoba
Canada

Reply #5 - Mar 19th, 2013 at 8:34pm

I hope he'll be back soon.  Already lost one woodturning buddy last year  Cry

...Bert

IP Logged

Breck Whitworth
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Gulfport, Mississippi, USA
Gulfport
Mississippi
USA

PM 3520-B
Reply #6 - Mar 20th, 2013 at 3:47pm

Bert I am a fairly new member and I have wondered the very same thing. On the older pic's in the gallery there are many comments but on the newer ones almost none. I just figured mine were just not that good, but I do appreciate you asking the same thing. Most do what Jim said we post in turning talk and people will usually comment there  smiley=thumbsup.gif

May the Lord Bless the work of our hands! And Necessity is the mother of invention:

IP Logged

Norbert Dupas
WR Addict

Oakbank
Manitoba
Canada

Reply #7 - Mar 20th, 2013 at 4:04pm

Hi Breck,  I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that noticed this.  I was more on this site two years ago (before I moved), and since then, didn't have a shop to work in, therefore no new uploads to the gallery, but two years ago, I always got at least 5 comments or so.  I wish they could go back to commenting on the gallery, it's a more visual area, in my opinion.  Thanks for posting your comment.

...Bert

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #8 - Mar 20th, 2013 at 6:01pm

Years ago it was required that all photos were to be placed in the galley and not in the forum. At the time the reasoning was there were many folks with just dial-up internet and not having to wait for photos to load made the forum easier to access. Secondly, the former owner didn't have the disk space to store all the images or enough bandwidth to display them. If I recall correctly there were even a few months that we exceeded our bandwidth quota and were penalized. Because of this the former staff would delete photos in the forum and mention to the members that they had to place their photos in the gallery. Remember 3-4 years ago we only had 600 members.

About 3 years ago I changed that. I increased our bandwidth and disk space to allow members to post their images here. I didn't really make any announcement and even had a little push back against allowing this even though I thought it was a good thing. Little by little folks started to post their photos in the forum instead of the gallery. We tried to encourage members to use the gallery because it is a more permanent place, but it became obvious that this was an up hill battle.

Because of the way present members use our forum, more photos and comments are posted here and less attention and comments are made to the gallery.

I still think the gallery is a great place to display your images. In February 2013, 184,752 gallery photos were viewed and in January 2013, 220,317 photos were viewed. So if you want to be noticed, the gallery is the place to be. I believe so much in the gallery that a few months ago I invested money (thank you supporting members) to make sure the gallery is up to date and will be available for those that want to view and display all types of woodturnings.
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2013 at 6:26pm by Ron Sardo »  

IP Logged

Norbert Dupas
WR Addict

Oakbank
Manitoba
Canada

Reply #9 - Mar 20th, 2013 at 9:37pm

Thanks for clearing things up, Ron.  As I mentioned I have been off the forum for quite some time.

...Bert

...Bert

IP Logged

Breck Whitworth
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Gulfport, Mississippi, USA
Gulfport
Mississippi
USA

PM 3520-B
Reply #10 - Mar 21st, 2013 at 8:09am

Thanks for all the work you do Ron, we appreciate it. smiley=thumbsup.gif

May the Lord Bless the work of our hands! And Necessity is the mother of invention:

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #11 - Mar 21st, 2013 at 10:43am

Bert, there was the same issue at another forum I'm a member of, members not commenting on pictures.
The reasons vary from less people using the gallery, to not enough time, to members feeling they're not qualified to comment on a piece.
The only way it gets solved is to remind members to use the gallery with threads like this and to comment yourself. Some people will post their own photos but neglect to comment on other works.
I think we've all been guilty of one of these things at one time or another. Thanks for bringing this topic up.
That's my two cents

IP Logged

Kevin Stanbary
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

McHenry, IL, Illinois, USA
McHenry, IL
Illinois
USA

Reply #12 - Mar 21st, 2013 at 1:41pm

Ed Weber wrote on Mar 21st, 2013 at 10:43am:
to members feeling they're not qualified to comment on a piece.

This is the way I feel sometimes.  I don't have nearly as much time to turn as I would like, but I think this is a fantastic community, so I'm on these boards at least once almost every day.  I also check in the gallery nearly every day to see what new pieces have posted.  I am guilty of not commenting on what I see though.

I still consider myself a beginning turner, so I'm self conscious about simply posting something like an 'attaboy' for a piece, but I struggle to come up with something constructive to say in most cases.  The recent lack of traffic seems to make this even harder.  I do post my own work there (it's been a while since I've finished anything  Undecided) and have always appreciated any comments received.

I do wonder if a lot of the new members are even aware that the gallery is there or how it can be used.  The fact that it has a separate login might be confusing to some folks...

Ron Sardo wrote on Mar 20th, 2013 at 6:01pm:
About 3 years ago I changed that.

And because I don't think it can be overstated - Ron thanks for everything you and the rest of the admins do to  keep this place up an running.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/kevin.stanbary FLSHBCK  
IP Logged

Norbert Dupas
WR Addict

Oakbank
Manitoba
Canada

Reply #13 - Mar 21st, 2013 at 2:49pm

I don't think you have to be a pro to just type "I like this piece...especially the blah blah blah".  When I started in this forum back when, that's all I did.  Never pretended I was superior, just put in my  2 cents.  I must admit however, I'm not one to put anything negative on a piece for that very reason...I'm no expert to criticize, so I don't put anything in that case.  I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, so if there's one piece I don't care for, I'll just go to the next one.  I belonged to another forum back when and could not take the criticism on it (I found they were TOO critical) so I left that forum.

...Bert

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #14 - Mar 21st, 2013 at 3:27pm

Kevin Stanbary wrote on Mar 21st, 2013 at 1:41pm:
I still consider myself a beginning turner, so I'm self conscious about simply posting something like an 'attaboy' for a piece, but I struggle to come up with something constructive to say in most cases. 

I am sure there are many members that feel the same way, I have felt that way myself sometimes. Another way to approach the situation is to ask "how do you do that" most members are usually willing to be helpful in some way and everyone likes a positive comment no matter how skilled they may be.
Norbert Dupas wrote on Mar 21st, 2013 at 2:49pm:
I must admit however, I'm not one to put anything negative on a piece for that very reason...I'm no expert to criticize, so I don't put anything in that case.I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, so if there's one piece I don't care for, I'll just go to the next one.I belonged to another forum back when and could not take the criticism on it (I found they were TOO critical) so I left that forum

Bert, this is exactly what I'm talking about. Trying to find the balance. IMHO this forum does a pretty good job of this balancing act. Although at times people can be too nice, I don't think either extreme is helpful.
I'm not sure of the policy but I always add the line "C&C welcome" if I want a critique.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print