WR Supporter

Safety always!

HADLEY, Massachusetts, USA
HADLEY
Massachusetts
USA

Bedan
Mar 22nd, 2013 at 7:00am

John's birthday post got me thinking...who makes the best Bedan?

I'm thinking about getting the one from Hartville Tool.  The price looks good and free shipping looks good too.
« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2013 at 7:02am by Frank Wilda »  

"We find in life exactly what we put into it." -Emerson
IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Patron

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Re: Bedan
Reply #1 - Mar 22nd, 2013 at 7:35am

Frank Wilda wrote on Mar 22nd, 2013 at 7:00am:
John's birthday post got me thinking...who makes the best Bedan?

I'm thinking about getting the one from Hartville Tool.  The price looks good and free shipping looks good too.

Good steel makes the best tool -- and both the Sorby and Crown brands are known for good heat treat on high speed steel.

Both are "English" style bedan tools --- that is the edges are relieved on the sides.  "French" style has straight sides.

My view is that it is a "specialty" tool.  That is it does things that can also be done by other tools, but does some things very very nicely.   Think small skew, wide parting tool, and a nice tool to shape larger beads, all in one piece.    You can make a "roll your own" from a piece of square tool bit steel -- a 6 inch piece of 3/8 square M2 tool bit is under $15. 

I used one a lot when I was turning beer tap handles.

IP Logged

John Lawson
WR Supporter

Wombats rule!

Denton, Texas, USA
Denton
Texas
USA

Reply #2 - Mar 23rd, 2013 at 12:21am

I made myself a "bedan-like" tool years ago after a number of bad experiences trying to use a skew.  I didn't realize it was a bedan, but I became tolerably skillful with it.  Basically I ground a 1/2" scraper with a single 40 degree bevel straight across.  I use it either bevel-up or bevel-down depending on what I am trying to accomplish.  I recently came across some situations where it seemed an English-style bedan with the relieved sides would have been easier.  I haven't had the chance to use it yet so I don't have an opinion about the steel, but I like how the Crown one is made.  I also made myself a 1/4" beading-and-parting tool and find it to be very handy for sizing cuts in particular because it cuts wide enough for me to use a caliper in the other hand while cutting with much less danger of  binding.

If you remember the Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register I made in 2011, aside from roughing and sizing cuts, they were shaped almost exclusively with my home-made bedan.  Once Ken made me realize it was a bedan, I started using bedan technique instead of skew technique, and thereby cut 5-7 minutes off the time it took for each piece, and had fewer catches.
« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2013 at 12:35am by John Lawson »  

Being well-read is not the same as knowing what you are doing.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #3 - Mar 23rd, 2013 at 6:02am

I made myself a bedan and use it on rare occasions. I always mean to get better at using it.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Walt
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Hanford, California, USA
Hanford
California
USA

PM 3520A
Reply #4 - Mar 23rd, 2013 at 10:01am

Ditto what Ron said, only I bought a sorby.

IP Logged

John Lawson
WR Supporter

Wombats rule!

Denton, Texas, USA
Denton
Texas
USA

Reply #5 - Mar 23rd, 2013 at 10:51am

I failed to point out that I also got Escoulen's DVD where he turns the trembleur.  It helps with acquiring "bedan technique".

Being well-read is not the same as knowing what you are doing.

IP Logged

Bernie Weishapl
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Goodland, Kansas, USA
Goodland
Kansas
USA

Reply #6 - Mar 23rd, 2013 at 11:10am

I have a crown bedan and use it all the time especially on birdhouses, peppermills, etc.

Bernie

To succeed in life, you need three things:  a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print