Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Candy it is then....... (Read 5,459 times)

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Re: Candy it is then.......
Reply #30 - Aug 7th, 2014 at 4:01pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Kenn Harris

WR Fan!

Bellingham, WA, Washington, USA
Bellingham, WA
Washington
USA

Reply #31 - Aug 7th, 2014 at 7:41pm

Simply beautiful, what else can you say!  Never thought of using a box like these for 'candy dishes', sooo I guess I'll now have to make a few (of course, nothing as wonderful as yours!!!)...  Thanks for sharing and safe turning for you always!

IP Logged

Dave Bell

WR Rocks!

Elora, Ontario, Canada
Elora
Ontario
Canada

Reply #32 - Aug 23rd, 2014 at 10:09pm

William Weathersby wrote on Aug 7th, 2014 at 9:58am:
Dave read your tutorial on the casting great work.  My questions in on the turning, did you glue a piece of wood to the top of the piece (looks like you might have in the pictures)?  Thank you William

Yes William, the lid has it's own face plate for turning. By using separate face plates I can trial fit the bowl halves together during tuning. Once the lidded joint is correct, I fit the halves together and tape the joint. Then I remove the face plate and turn away the sacrificial glue block.

Thanks for the comments.

Woodturning requires sharp tools and practice, and practice requires evaluation or little progress will be made. Keep your tools sharp, practice, evaluate your progress, and have fun............Dale L. Nish
WWW bellsy4139 http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=831975120&r  
IP Logged

Jerry Marcantel
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Tucson, Arizona, Arizona, USA
Tucson, Arizona
Arizona
USA

Reply #33 - Aug 24th, 2014 at 10:01am

Dave, nice looking candy dishes. I like the colors of the first one, plus the copper sets this one off.

I have about 5 chunks of wood already preturned and waiting to set up for casting, but non existant finances always seem to get in the way. That aside, I saw your tutorial and even before seeing it, that was pretty much how I was going to proceed, but probably without the organizational skills that you have.  Smiley   I also have all the equipment you indicated in the tutorial, so it should go as planned when I do start. Yep, sure!  Thumbs Up

Below is listed the specs on 4 Alumalite resins. Besides the waterclear having superior polishing characteristics, wouldn't the 65D product be better as it would probably flex with wood movement? Since color is going to be added, being water clear doesn't seem to that important. Also, the other 3 products don't mention whether they will flex or not. That seems that would be an issue where wood moves a lot. Correct me if I'm wrong, and steer me in the right direction as I'm ready to pull the plug and get some Alumalite and finish my prepared future turnings............. Jerry (in Tucson)

Alumilite Clear Clear 1:1 by wt. 7 min pot life, 45-90 min demold time,  450 78-80 D 4,200 140 F MSDS  Price $160 - 2 gallon 
  Alumilite Clear is an optically clear resin that is great for a wide variety of clear casting applications. It gives you a beautiful crystal clear cast piece with superior polishability. Vacuum or Pressure casting is recommended to achieve perfectly bubble free parts. Recommended for industrial use only. 

Alumilite Water Clear Clear 1:1 by wt. 15 min. pot life,  2-3 hrs. demold time, 400 70-72 D 3,120 N-A MSDS  $160.00 - 2 gallons
  Alumilite's New Water Clear produces an extremely clear, UV resistant, hard, durable piece that can be used for a wide variety of applications where extremely clarity is needed. The New Water Clear has a 15 min open time and a 2-3 hour demold time. Recommended for industrial use only.  $160.00 2 gallons   

Amazing Clear Cast Clear 1:1 by volume 30-40 min. pot life, 24 hrs. demold time, 2,600 80D 8,00 N-A MSDS  $114.00 - 2 gallons
  Easy to use, 2 part multi-purpose clear coating & casting resin. Can be used for encapsulation, coating, or casting applications such as taxidermy, bar tops, potting/encapsulation, hobby, craft, prototyping, and much more.   

Performance 65D Transparent 1:1,  5-6 min. pot life 1-2 hrs. demold time, 190 65D 2,100 180 F MSDS  $94.00 - 2 gallons
Performance 65D is a rigid but flexible resin that is great where high impact or flexural strength is needed.                                                   

IP Logged

Dave Bell

WR Rocks!

Elora, Ontario, Canada
Elora
Ontario
Canada

Reply #34 - Aug 26th, 2014 at 9:27pm

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the compliments, I look forward to giving your work the same.

My thoughts about the resins are fairly straight forward.....and this is just my experience, so here goes.

I have tried the Alumilite clear and it does work up a lot harder just like the spec sheet mentions. If I was going to use it on a regular basis, it would be for solid casts only...ie pen blanks without any filler materials other than dyes or pigments. During the times that I have used it, I found that a few things occur......it produces a nasty odor, it requires that everything be ready for the cast, shop temps (hot summer) are not ideal because I have had mixes solidify as I poured the resin into the mold and the short pot life does not always allow resin to flow into complex voids or openings in the pieces of wood being cast. That's my short answer.....I hope it makes sense.

Alumilite Water Clear.......awesome stuff!!!!! Not as hard, but really easy to turn, easy to mix, easy to do multi-color casts, voids are filled easily due to the long pot life (open time), odor is much less offensive during turning. One other advantage if your able, is to be able to off gas any air bubbles before pouring, but you have to be quick about it. The biggest plus though by far is the longer open time and if you have the ability to cast with high pressures such as I do, this means that the resin/dye combination can be impregnated into the woods that are more porus.....i.e. BEB or Buckeye Burl....etc, if you get my drift.

The last two products I have no interest in for what I am doing. I have from time to time, been using the Alumilite white as well. Like you have mentioned, it also comes down to economics as well. How many products can you afford to try out or buy at any one time? I think the water clear, suits a good variety of my casting needs at this time. If I want to do some solid resin casting, I'm just a phone call away from placing an order and have it delivered within a few days.

As for the wood movement......great point and I am glad you brought it up. This is a really awkward topic to get accross to some folks....delivery on my part???? Anyway, the wood (at least for me) is dried right down to pretty much zero due to my technique......or choice. And what I have found it that with something as simple as a pen blank, once it's cleaned up on the saw to size, if you leave it in it's raw form, it will start to bend or deform over time slightly. On the larger turnings, the wood can produce a swollen effect that can come or go with the relative humidity. The wood species also plays a large factor in this wood movement as well. I have on a few instances rough turned some items and allowed for the wood to "normalize" by letting it acquire moisture again.

I hope that helps you out Jerry...let me know if I can be of any more assistance.

Woodturning requires sharp tools and practice, and practice requires evaluation or little progress will be made. Keep your tools sharp, practice, evaluate your progress, and have fun............Dale L. Nish
WWW bellsy4139 http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=831975120&r  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print