Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Grain Matching
Apr 2nd, 2013 at 6:22pm

This subject came up a while back so I thought I would show an example for those of you who wan/need it.
The top board shows how you would cut for a grain matching series of segments. This means the gap between the two adjoining segments is as small as possible and the grain flows more smoothly. There is a certain amount of waste with this cut
Middle.
This is the economy cut, as you can see, no material is wasted. The drawbacks with this method is that the grain will not flow as smoothly, since every other segment gets either flipped over or turned 180 it can look choppy.
Bottom.
This is a combination cut you can either grain match two series of segments at the same time or simply be more frugal with your wood.
ANy questions, just ask.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Grain_matching__800_x_615_.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
steve rost
WR Devotee

Jigaholic

Mansfield, Texas, USA
Mansfield
Texas
USA

Re: Grain Matching
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2013 at 6:45am

I have not tried grain matching.  I found a hollow form online made entirely from quilted or curley maple with ebony accents I suspect was grain matched.  Cannot tell from the picture.  It was good enough to get first place at a California State Fair several years ago.

One measure of a great craftsman is how well he can hide his mistakes!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print