IP Logged

Rob Grindler

kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
kelowna
British Columbia
Canada

Re: Splitting rings
Reply #16 - Oct 8th, 2014 at 11:49am

Just wondering what is the best way to glue and clamp together a half ring.I have been glueing the whole ring together using large pipe clamps or hose clamps.Do you glue all the pieces together ,leaving the half way joints free of glue or is there a different way of glueing and clamping up the half ring.

IP Logged

Mike Fisher

WR Rocks!

Reply #17 - Oct 8th, 2014 at 12:46pm

Rob Grindler wrote on Oct 8th, 2014 at 11:49am:
Just wondering what is the best way to glue and clamp together a half ring.I have been glueing the whole ring together using large pipe clamps or hose clamps.Do you glue all the pieces together ,leaving the half way joints free of glue or is there a different way of glueing and clamping up the half ring.

Depends.
I have made half rings using a rub joint glue up.
ex. 6 segments to a half.  Glue up three pairs of 2 segments by using a rub joint.  Then glue the two of the pairs together then add the last pair. 

I have also used hose clamps with a spacer between the two halves.  I use this if the joints are spot on.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #18 - Oct 8th, 2014 at 1:33pm

Rob Grindler wrote on Oct 8th, 2014 at 11:49am:
Just wondering what is the best way to glue and clamp together a half ring.

There is really no need to clamp standard segments.
I apply glue to one segment and then rub (distribute the glue evenly across the faces) the two segments together. Once I have the glue spread out, i align them and apply hand pressure for a few seconds and wipe away any excess glue. The adhesives today are quite strong and I have never had one break under normal handling, that includes using an appropriate BS blade.
I had to look, but here is a pic or basic segments being glued (rub joint) in pairs

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register img_0854__600_x_450_.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register img_0853__600_x_450_.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Gordon McEwan

WR Rocks!

Tisdale, Saskatchewan, Canada
Tisdale
Saskatchewan
Canada

Reply #19 - Oct 27th, 2014 at 12:34am

This is why I come to this sight, so many great ideas. Thumbs Up
When gluing the thin 1/2 rings together do you have to do anything special to keep them flat?
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2014 at 12:50am by Gordon McEwan »  

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #20 - Oct 27th, 2014 at 8:14am

Nothing really special. I do usually put a clamp lightly across the joint to keep them from slipping. using masking tape of blue painters tape can also help keep the joint aligned.

IP Logged

Ben Goeller
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Reply #21 - Oct 30th, 2014 at 9:21am

Just used your method and proved to be sooooo much easier and faster. Thanks Cheesy

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Bert Delisle
WR Devotee

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Reply #22 - Oct 30th, 2014 at 9:30am

Great tip Ed I have just started pondering the segmented side of things, and ths tip will really help conserve the "good wood"  Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #23 - Oct 30th, 2014 at 10:12am

I'm glad some of you are having success with this process, but it's not just a time/material saver. I have found that this is useful as a design tool. Sometimes it can be difficult to maintain grain/color, even in the same piece of wood. If, for example, you're planning to "frame" your feature ring, you may want the framing to match.
In the pic, the top and bottom most maple rings were cut using this method. I wanted to have a matching bracket on either side of the feature ring.
Each maple ring is 1/8", this would have been a pain, or a waste of time/material to do one at a time., I'm sorry, it's not the best example or quality pic

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register BB-4__541_x_600_.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print