Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rocky Mountain Woodturning Symposium (Read 1,663 times)

Wes Murphy

WR Rocks!

Rapid City, South Dakota, USA
Rapid City
South Dakota
USA

Rocky Mountain Woodturning Symposium
Apr 20th, 2013 at 5:20pm

Has anyone been to Rocky Mountain Woodturning Symposium? Is anyone going? I went to SWAT last year and really enjoyed that, but haven’t heard of anyone who has attended this show. Registration is a little steep, but I guess the given demonstrators don’t come cheap.

wes.murphy2  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Dale Bonertz
WR Addict

Re: Rocky Mountain Woodturning Symposium
Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2013 at 4:49pm

I have been going to it for the last ten years. It is actually cheap compared to many symposiums out there. It is a smaller symposium with around 200 to 250 attendees. This is really cool since in the demo rooms you can see better and ask more questions since there are six rooms going in each rotation with fewer people in each room. Every year ,for the most part, David Ellsworth, Trent Bosch, Cindy Drozda, David Nittman, Stuart Batty and many others attend and are very assessable for asking questions or just visiting. This year it is going from two days to three days at no extra cost to the attendees. Friday is set up in the morning with early registration available to beat the rush. The vendor area will be open whenever they are set up and the first rotation at either 4 or 4:30. At six o'clock there will be a meet and greet at the local woodcraft store with refreshments (about four blocks away form symposium location). Full swing and going strong on Saturday and Sunday. Closing around 2:30 on Sunday so folks who travel or want to site see can get a good head start. There is a banquet on Saturday night which is included in the registration. Nice dinner and a beverage if you want to purchase a beer or wine that is also available.

It really is a very good symposium and a good time. I hope to see you there this year. I'll be demonstrating in two rotations along with a great lineup once again this year. Ellsworth, Christianson, Deheer, Harwood, Bin Pho, Giem and more. Check the website for updated information on demonstrators, vendors and other info.

Dale   

Dale

IP Logged

Dale Bonertz
WR Addict

Reply #2 - Apr 21st, 2013 at 4:53pm

After reflecting I forgot to mention that Dale Nish, Lee Carter, Allen Jensen, AAW board member Tom Wirsing, Dan Bailey, Keith Goshell and many more attend every year also. Once I hit post I'll think of more that are there.

Dale

IP Logged

Alice Heckman

Kearney, Nebraska, USA
Kearney
Nebraska
USA

Reply #3 - Jun 24th, 2013 at 8:37pm

I am thinking about going to the Rocky Mountain symposium.  Dale, I'm glad to know that they will be starting earlier and closing by 2:30 on Sunday.  That makes a difference in how I make the hotel reservation!  I'm a five hour drive away and if I leave by 3:00 I can get home in a timely fashion.  It looks like they have a great line up of teachers and I really like the smaller groups. 

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #4 - Jun 24th, 2013 at 10:15pm

Dale Nish passed away May 25, so he won't be there in person this year.

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Bert Delisle
WR Addict

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Reply #5 - Jun 26th, 2013 at 8:19am

I just started a new shift schedule that may line up favourably with the Rocky Mountain Symposium. I will be looking at driving down, taking in some of the sites along the way there and back.

IP Logged

Dale Bonertz
WR Addict

Reply #6 - Jun 29th, 2013 at 8:18am

Alice and Bert and others,

Look me up when you get to the symposium. I will have a booth "rough out bowls" and I will be doing two demonstrations. Look forward to meeting you.

Dale

Dale

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print