When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill, South Carolina, USA
Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Re: Tampa in June.
Reply #15 - May 29th, 2013 at 7:54am

For those of you going, get your info to Carrie ASAP, it takes some time looking for a place to hook up and get a place reserved for a group of people... don't ask me how I know this... smiley=doh.gif

We had a ball in Richmond VA when it was held their a few years ago and don't forget to bring your camera's. You will see alot and want to take photos of the gallery and new friends your about to meet!!! smiley=thumbsup.gif

Wizzy

IP Logged

Len Layman
WR Patron

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Reply #16 - May 29th, 2013 at 2:17pm

Early registration ends on Sunday.  I will make my decision by then.  Still trying to figure how to afford the trip.   Cheesy Cheesy

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

Len Layman
WR Patron

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Reply #17 - Jun 3rd, 2013 at 11:14am

Well I made the decisions.   I am heading to Tampa.  I am excited there is only one other turner in Cayman and other then a great visit with Don Davis when he was on a cruise passing through Cayman I not not met another turner since taking up the vortex three years ago.

It will be great to drool over all the equipment and mostly great to meet some of you my WR friends.

I now have to figure out my Demo schedule  so many choices so little time.   smiley=lolk.gif

I will get my info to Carrie

smiley=thumbsup.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif
« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2013 at 11:28am by Len Layman »  

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #18 - Jun 13th, 2013 at 5:33pm

I just noticed that our own Leo Frilot will also demonstrating for 4 sessions.  2 on pen basics, and 2 on the use of metals in woodturning.

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Len Layman
WR Patron

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Reply #19 - Jun 13th, 2013 at 7:41pm

I already have it on my schedule.  This will be a great three days.

Len

IP Logged

Leo Frilot
WR Addict

When the going gets tough,
get a bigger gouge!!!

Baton Rouge, LA, Louisiana, USA
Baton Rouge, LA
Louisiana
USA

Reply #20 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 8:30am

I will be there Thursday through Sunday. My rotations will conclude by 11am on Friday and Saturday. Looking forward to the meet up.

Live for today, plan for tomorrow, but have fun regardless!Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Leo.Frilot  
IP Logged

Carrie Bradfield
WR Champion

WR Rocks!

St. Louis, Missouri, USA
St. Louis
Missouri
USA

Reply #21 - Jun 20th, 2013 at 12:20pm

Thanks everyone who emailed me--It looks like we'll have a nice little meetup group!  I'm going to review the schedule and find a good time and place for us to get together.  I'll send out PMs with the phone list too, in case we have a hard time finding each other.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Carrie Bradfield
WR Champion

WR Rocks!

St. Louis, Missouri, USA
St. Louis
Missouri
USA

Reply #22 - Jun 23rd, 2013 at 7:26pm

In case anyone who didn't PM me sees this thread and is going to the symposium, we're meeting at Hattrick's bar, on Thursday at 7:30.

If the place is full, I'll try to put up a sign or something so y'all can find me.

107 South Franklin St., Tampa
« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2013 at 8:02pm by JimQuarles »  

IP Logged

Leo Frilot
WR Addict

get a bigger gouge!!!

Baton Rouge, LA
Louisiana
USA

Reply #23 - Jun 24th, 2013 at 12:36am

Thanks for arranging, Carrie.  Looking forward to meeting you and everyone else from WR.  It's gonna be a fun trip; just pray the gulf stays calm.  Shocked

Live for today, plan for tomorrow, but have fun regardless!Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Leo.Frilot  
IP Logged

Len Layman
WR Patron

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Reply #24 - Jun 24th, 2013 at 9:22am

Thanks Carrie for you work on this.. I can't wait .  I will be like a kid in a candy store.
I am most excited about meeting the WR folks. Besides Don Davis, who came through Cayman on a cruise ship, and one other guy here on Island I have not met any other turners in the three years I have been turning. So this will be great fun for me.
I am prepared for sensory overload.
See all of you Thursday evening

Len

IP Logged

Don Davis
WR Patron

Safety first!

Stillwater, Oklahoma, USA
Stillwater
Oklahoma
USA

Reply #25 - Jun 25th, 2013 at 5:53am

Len, Carrie, and all.....
Take lots of pix to share with those of us who are "less fortunate" and don't get to attend. I trust you will all have a wonderful time.

IP Logged

Alan Zenreich
WR Supporter

Reply #26 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 10:15am

It was great seeing familiar faces, as well as the graybeards newly met.   Carrie and Brent, thanks for coordinating the meetup/dinner.

It was nice meeting Leo and his family, and sharing a demo room. 

As for Len... Well, like me, he is a shy, demure creature... Hard to get him talking <riiiiiight>.  He's not used to being around actual humans, much less around other woodturners,  so he was soaking it all in.

Lauren and I had a fine time at the Symposium, and hope the folks who attended our demos enjoyed them as much as we did. The feedback we received was lovely (and someone bought one of our instant gallery pieces... A nice bonus)      

Although totally unanticipated, I think the highlight for me was getting to know the turners with physical challenges. Andi, Dennis, Tony and Adam had a very interesting panel discussion about overcoming their challenges (two turn from their wheelchairs, and two are blind). Talking with them, and watching them turn in the Robust booth was a real pleasure. Great people. There were even some visitors from Lighthouse for the Blind who got to experience woodturned pieces, and try their hand at turning.

Oh, and Lauren and the other women she spoke to noted (with delight) that there was never a line to the ladies' room...

IP Logged

John Long
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Lutz, Florida, USA
Lutz
Florida
USA

Reply #27 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 9:28pm

Sorry I was unable to attend the gathering and meeting my fellow WR Folks on Thursday night. Had to go home and cut some different turning blanks for one of our "artists" who gave me the wrong measurements and of course his demo was at 8 am the next morning. Had a great time seeing the demo's and the vendors with all of their products. Some advice for the wood coordinator in Phoenix next year. They want white wood as it shows up better on camera. No exotics only native wood such as maple, sycamore, or cherry. Some artists will want dry wood and others total wet it just depends on what demo they are doing. Two sycamore trees and one maple tree were what it took to make all the turning blanks. May see you all in Phoenix as my wife wants to see the Grand Canyon next year.  Grin

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #28 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 10:05pm

John Long wrote on Jul 1st, 2013 at 9:28pm:
native wood such as maple, sycamore, or cherry.

That would be a real challenge here.  Local for us is Mesquite, African Sumac and Olive.

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Leo Frilot
WR Addict

get a bigger gouge!!!

Baton Rouge, LA
Louisiana
USA

Reply #29 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 3:30pm

Enjoyed the meetup guys: Carrie and Brent, Alan and Lauren, and uummmm... Oh yeah, Len Layman from the Cayman (had to scroll to remember that character) Cheesy.  Wish I had a bit more time to hangout, but the few hours we did spend together were priceless.  Looking forward to Phoenix... Dinner's on JimQ. Thanks to all for attending my demos.  Everyone shold have that opportunity at least once. Thumbs Up
What happened in Tampa, stays in Tampa! Lips Sealed

WWW Leo.Frilot  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print