WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Re: Tampa in June.
Reply #30 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 3:38pm

Leo Frilot wrote on Jul 2nd, 2013 at 3:30pm:
Looking forward to Phoenix... Dinner's on JimQ.

But I'll be using Leo's credit card.  He's the one making all the big money demonstrating.   Grin Grin

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Len Layman
WR Patron

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Reply #31 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 3:55pm

Sorry for not giving my update earlier but I have been in closed door sessions with my banker about my reckless spending in the vendor’s area in Tampa.  Fortunately he told me I still had enough in the bank to last me until the grim reaper comes for me.  (In the same breath he suggested that in order to not make a liar out of him the day should be tomorrow.)  I am confused.

So I arrive in Tamp Thursday afternoon check in to hotel and then walk to the convention center to register. On the walk back I make sure that I know where the sports bar the WR meet up is.  Fortunately is just around the corner from my hotel.  The meet up is scheduled for 7:30 so I go back to the hotel, freshen up (wanting to look my best for my soon to be new friends).  Then off to the sports bar.

I walk in nervous with anticipation.  My mind playing games like I was a kid.  Will they like me?  Will they even talk to me?  Am I overdressed or should I have put some curlys in my hair so I would look like a real turner?  I look to the left and then the right. To the left was the end of the bar and a wall. Nope.   To the right was a group of people standing around a table for two.  They looked extremely intelligent, outgoing, and resourceful so I just assumed it was the WR group.  This time I was right.  (OK I exaggerate a bit. But not a bad looking bunch).  Five minutes later we were all like long lost friends.

Carrie (our den mother/organizer) was bragging about her new 3520b and her husband Brent complaining about having to move to the basement and set it up all by himself. Leo, his wife Donna and their two boys were a pleasure.  Leo had a bit of a problem trying to locate a carrot for his demo the next day.  He had the waitress a bit confused. And then of course the other graybeard in the group Alan with his wife and Demo partner Lauren.

I caught both Leo and Alan and Lauren’s Demos. Hey, they are not just pretty faces they are talented also.  I was pleased to see that Leo’s thumb and the carrot did make it into the AAW facebook photos. Alan and Lauren had a great demo on turning pendants it was full of “tricks of the trade”  one of them the now famed “sticky stick”.

The whole weekend experience was fantastic for me.  Just choosing which demos to attend was a chore, so many choices.  Maybe because it was my first time to an event like this but mostly because of the wonderful people and their overwhelming desire to share their knowledge.  I wish my brain was a bigger sponge so I could have absorbed more of that knowledge.

Did I mention the Vendors area with all the “toys” for sale.  If you go to one of these for the first time take a fat wallet.  You will need it.  It was great meeting the vendors I have done business with both over the phone and online.  Dough from Thompson lathe Tools, Craig from Easy Wood Tools, Vince the sanding expert, and Ruth Niles who is even nicer than people say she is, among others.  Now time to replenish the bank account for the new lathe I can’t live without.  Cheesy Smiley

You folks that have access to these get-togethers on a regular basis I envy.

I am still trying to figure out what the thing Brent won in the  Second Chance Raffle is for.  Shocked Shocked

Those with pictures please post them  I did not take any  Cry  Cry

« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2013 at 6:33pm by Len Layman »  

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

Don Davis
WR Patron

Safety first!

Stillwater, Oklahoma, USA
Stillwater
Oklahoma
USA

Reply #32 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 6:05am

Excellent report, Len, thanks for sharing. We will be waiting in hopes of photos from some of the other folks.
Sounds like a wonderful time was had by all!

IP Logged

Carrie Bradfield
WR Champion

WR Rocks!

St. Louis, Missouri, USA
St. Louis
Missouri
USA

Reply #33 - Jul 8th, 2013 at 10:32pm

My apologies to all for not updating sooner.  We took several days to drive home on the very scenic route via the Smoky Mountains National Park, and across Kentucky.  I finally got the photos off my camera and have a couple from our meetup.  It was just great to meet everyone.

I was able to see Alan, Lauren, and Leo demonstrate--Talented folks with very interesting demonstrations!  It was just thrilling to see some of my long-time woodturning idols like Mark Siffiri and Hans Weissflog.  I can't say enough good things about the talent AAW has demonstrating at the symposium.

The tradeshow area was such a temptation!  I came home with a bunch of sandpaper, a Thompson Bowl gouge, a "safe" drive center, some sticks of wood (like I needed those), and hand thread-chasing tools (Mike Mahoney made it look so easy).

Len, I'm still not quite sure what Brent won, but we're going to call it a garden dibble either way. How are your attempts at threading going?  I'm going need more practice Smiley

Also, I did grab some snapshots of the instant gallery and wanted to share them with you.  You can check them out at this link: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Now that I'm ready to attach photos, I can't seem to find the option, so I've uploaded them elsewhere.  We'll see if they show up here.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

eta: Yay, that worked.
« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2013 at 10:32pm by Carrie Bradfield »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print