Andrew Sobota

Have chainsaw, Will travel!

1 hr south of Rochester, MN, Minnesota, USA
1 hr south of Rochester, MN
Minnesota
USA

new shop
May 8th, 2013 at 10:34pm

Eh...long time no post.  Life gets busy...and you...well...don't post.  Still trying to get a 36 hr day legislated.  This is why....

The new shop.  18'x24' and a full loft.  8x8 white oak posts.   I am near three posts in.  There are 9.  Also three 8x10 horizontal beams, 4 plates which need scarfs, a piles of braces, grits, rafters, floor joists, and a hopefully a good orthopedic surgeon for when my shoulder collapses.  I do NOT yet see anything resembling a train, or a lights a the end of the tunnel.  And then it gets sheathing, insulation, tyvek, and steel.  Oddly enough in that order.  Poured foundation, but I'll run some sort of floor under Alice for the sake of my bowl gouges. 

I turned the mallet from hard maple - the pic is old and it has since lost some mass.  I have a block mallet of walnut burl too...along with about 5 others, most maple.  They tend to be rather expendable, but as I am getting stronger, I do appreciate a heavier mallet.  The bit I am hollowing out mortises with is a 1.5" shorty Wood owl.  After using it, I will certainly buy a longer one (1" x 18") for my pegs...and then, it will see its second life as the bore for vases.  Wood Owl bits are INCREDIBLE. 

On a side note, I am absolutely intimidated by this project.  From the sheer mass of the posts to how many I have to cut, to the feeling I bit off more than I should (which my wife will say is usual) on a somewhat regular basis.  I may be getting older, but it seems like more of a project than the house. 

Anyone have a spare shoulder?

AJS

"Chance favors the prepared mind" - L. Pasteur
http://www.facebook.com/ajsobota  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
David Hamann
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Re: new shop
Reply #1 - May 8th, 2013 at 10:59pm

sorry, no xtra shoulders here.  just think though, when you are finished, you will have a great shop that will be fun to work in and you did it yourself.  what more can one ask for smilies=bowdown

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #2 - May 9th, 2013 at 3:06pm

I agree with Dave, looks like it's being built to stand the test of time.  Smiley

IP Logged

Andrew Sobota

Minnesota
USA

Reply #3 - May 9th, 2013 at 5:29pm

...er....being built to withstand the test of my patience.  And of course my right shoulder.   Grin

IP Logged

Len Layman
WR Patron

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Reply #4 - May 9th, 2013 at 7:16pm

Andrew.  It is good to hear from you again.  It sounds like you will be Bengay's best customer.  Good luck to ya and keep us posted with pictures of your progress.

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

dennis nagle
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Waterford, Michigan, USA
Waterford
Michigan
USA

Reply #5 - May 9th, 2013 at 10:25pm

Are there any Amish in your area???  They really know their stuff when it comes to that type of construction.

My Art webpage

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Andrew Sobota

Minnesota
USA

Reply #6 - May 10th, 2013 at 9:58pm

Dennis: (Spoiler alert)

Funny you mention them.  I live amongst them.  End of the driveway, a family.  Next farm down...more....over the hill behind me, five houses.  A total of 5 Amish Mills within 3 miles to boot.  That's whose cutting the oak.

And....

I am the only one locally doing this sort of work.  Some have (probably most over ages 50), but don't anymore.  They stick build everything because it's faster.  For poles barns, they borrow a skid steer (they remove their hats so as not to be identified by the bishop), drill out for green treated 8x8 footings, and build a standard pole barn with treated 4 ft on center.  80% have cell phones and they all own and use cordless. I once loaned out my vacuum to the neighbors to clean before church.  Yep...they can get power off their big diesel.

Pretty much, the only thing separating them from me is lights, a hot water tank and the Toyota...then again, my neighbor's brother has one, so I guess its just the hot water and the lights.  Oh...and a horse, straw hats, and identical clothing.

I should mention I am very good friends with many of them too.  I let them use the phone (yes...they'll come use mine when they need so as to look legit), give rides, barter, etc.  I've been to Dinner's (good, but pretty much meat and potatoes), weddings (interesting), and lunches.  I let them use a good chunk of my pasture for their sheep and went to school yesterday soaked as they weren't about and the a sheep with triplets (cute triplets no less) got out when it was raining.  I have a deal with the mill operator who cuts my timber beams that I tap my maples and haul the sap.  His wife then cooks and we split it 50/50.  This year was epic....10 taps on scrub maples, and we ended up with 5.5 gallons of syrup.  I use it in coffee.  I am too busy in the morning for toast or pancakes.

I don't think they'll every totally integrate (nor should they), but they do have to change to stay competitive in an "English" world.  And that includes phones, cordless tools, and pickups.

They are good people just trying to figure out how to not lost the past yet still be around for the future..

Bottom line...my frame is being cut solo except for a few non-amish friends. 

You in?

AJS

IP Logged

Kevin Gade

WR Rocks!

N.E. Iowa, Iowa, USA
N.E. Iowa
Iowa
USA

Reply #7 - May 11th, 2013 at 9:12am

Hi Andy

Sounds like building your shop is in full swing. "pun intended"  I was at an auction a few weeks back and was thinking of you when I bought this chisel. It's a 2" Timber Chisel. Quite massive. The only thing with it is the socket has a crack in it. If you think it is something you can use. I can send it to you. You can take it to a welder and get it fixed up if you like. The socket walls are thin, I think that's why it cracked. Of course age will do that too. My wife thinks I am a little cracked sometimes. It will need a good sharpening too. I only have $5 invested in it.  Guess nobody around here was willing to pay to swing a big mallet.  Let me know.
Kevin

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
dennis nagle
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Waterford, Michigan, USA
Waterford
Michigan
USA

Reply #8 - May 11th, 2013 at 11:41am

So close yet so far away ah?  I'd love to help if you wanted to move your operation to S.E. Michigan.

My Art webpage

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Andrew Sobota

Minnesota
USA

Reply #9 - May 11th, 2013 at 2:20pm

I was lucky enough to move parts of the operation (ie...the posts) from the mill over the hill to my place.  I think they are about 500 lbs each.  And to think...the bigger beams are yet to come - have no clue how to deal with them.  They'll be hard just to roll over.    Suffice it to say, I'm staying here.  Need to invent a teleportation device. 

Kevin:  How pitted are the faces?  Easy enough to tidy up the socket and put an edge on it, but if the faces are pitted, then they cut funny.

IP Logged

David Tackett
WR Noob

I Love WR!

Waynesburg, Kentucky, USA
Waynesburg
Kentucky
USA

Reply #10 - Jul 27th, 2013 at 7:19pm

Nice job on the posts.  Those notches look awesome.  I would get some of the Amish fellows to help you out.  Where I live they are more than helpful.

https://www.facebook.com/david.l.tackett  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print