Darrel Nyman

never to old to learn

Litchfield, Minnesota, USA
Litchfield
Minnesota
USA

Oneway bowl steady
May 9th, 2013 at 3:01pm

I have been doing without a bowl steady up to now. I just ordered a oneway bowl steady. Anyone out there have any tips on using it?

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Addict

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Re: Oneway bowl steady
Reply #1 - May 9th, 2013 at 3:18pm

Seems to work best for me with a light touch -- not a brute force and horsepower operation.  Calms lots of vibrations, but will not let you go back and recut the outboard part of a thin bowl.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #2 - May 9th, 2013 at 5:00pm

I didn't like the idea of having to use a wrench to tighten things up so I replaced the nuts with some knobs to make life easier.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Darrel Nyman

never to old to learn

Litchfield
Minnesota
USA

Reply #3 - May 9th, 2013 at 8:48pm

I have always been pretty happy with oneway products so I hope this will be a good addition to my tools. I have their bowl saver and chucks. all top notch.

IP Logged

Walt Nollan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Hanford, California, USA
Hanford
California
USA

PM 3520A
Reply #4 - May 10th, 2013 at 8:21am

Like Darryl and others its. Good product with very little to go wrong with.  You'll be happy with it.

IP Logged

Scott Wheeler
WR Addict

The wood on the wathe
goes wound & wound

Reading PA, Pennsylvania, USA
Reading PA
Pennsylvania
USA

Reply #5 - May 10th, 2013 at 8:42am

Walt Nollan wrote on May 10th, 2013 at 8:21am:
Good product with very little to go wrong with.You'll be happy with it. 

Really helps dampen vibrations like everyone else said good product!

IP Logged

Dave Gill

Good People - Good Info!

Hayward, California, USA
Hayward
California
USA

Jet 1220VS
Jet 1642EVS-2
Reply #6 - May 10th, 2013 at 2:59pm

Recently got the Carter Spindle Steady which can convert to a bowl steady - so far really like it - little pricey but actually 2 tools in one.

I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world...and fool enough to think that's what I'll find!

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #7 - May 11th, 2013 at 11:44am

I can see using a spindle steady when doing longer spindles, but generally use my hand. I am not very good on spindles though. I have never used a bowl steady. Again, my hand does the work. VERY IMPORTANT to round over the rim of the bowl before doing this as it will slice you to the bone if you hit the sharp edge with your hand. I guess the same principals apply, hand force/steady wheel force = tool force as in very light pressure from both.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Harry Robinette

turners do it with a spin

Reply #8 - May 11th, 2013 at 8:26pm

I've been using one for a couple years and what I've found is when you put it on just Kiss the wood don't push it against the wood.The wheels should just almost not touch the wood. Clean the little ridge off the wheels IF you have one I had one wheel with and one without,just ran it against a piece of wood and then I used a fine file.But I do like the system a lot.

Harry Robinette-Woodspinner

IP Logged

Darrel Nyman

never to old to learn

Litchfield
Minnesota
USA

Reply #9 - May 18th, 2013 at 5:52pm

Thanks for all the input. Can't wait to try it out.

IP Logged

David Muehlbauer

Mesa AZ, Arizona, USA
Mesa AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #10 - Apr 20th, 2017 at 5:04pm

I am also wondering about the Oneway Bowl Steady. I seem to have quite a bit of vibration and noise when I work on the  bowl. I have a small lathe, and most of by bowls are about 8 inches in diameter and maybe 4-6 inches deep. Is it worth the cost and the effort of setting it up?

IP Logged

Ron Denton
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

HF 12x33 and HF 10x18
Reply #11 - May 8th, 2017 at 4:50pm

I'm pretty much of a noob myself but I needed something to steady a large piece (for my lathe anyway) and damp down the vibration. The Oneway looks pretty good but I just didn't have the money at the time and wasn't sure how it would work on larger pieces so I made my own and it worked great. Not much to look at but cost about 20 bucks to build and it really did great removing almost all of the vibration. This is on my 10x18 HF lathe and the piece was 8 inch diameter and 14" long.
« Last Edit: May 8th, 2017 at 4:52pm by Ron Denton »  

IP Logged

David Muehlbauer

Mesa AZ, Arizona, USA
Mesa AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #12 - May 8th, 2017 at 6:52pm

Yours looks really nice. I debated building one because I felt like a three-point contact would be better than the two-point provided by the OneWay. I decided to buy instead of make, and bought the Steady Rest from Ron Brown's Best (purchased on Amazon from Peachtree). It was $159 for the 10"-12" model, which was a little more than the OneWay. I tried it today on an 8" tall segmented hollow form and it worked really well. It is very easy to install and remove from my midi lathe (Craftsman) and it very easy to adjust.

Here is a link to more information: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Ron Denton
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

HF 12x33 and HF 10x18
Reply #13 - May 9th, 2017 at 11:36am

I needed the 3 point contact for the project I was doing. I really could have used a larger lathe; I think it pushed the limits of my HF 10x18 but it got the job done. The piece was just too heavy, and after having it come off and smacking my head once I said enough! Since I'm a cheapskate I built it myself. I then discovered I needed an extended tool rest to hollow it out, so I built one from scrap steel that would go inside the piece, which worked out well.

David, does yours have an adjustment for the top wheel? I like the pivoting setup for the other two and am looking at building another for my larger lathe, probably from steel this time.

IP Logged

David Muehlbauer

Mesa AZ, Arizona, USA
Mesa AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #14 - May 9th, 2017 at 6:07pm

The top wheel is in an inverted "U" shaped frame with slots to allow the top to go up and down. It has the same type of knobs as shown on the front. Very easy to adjust or remove.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print