Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Welcome to the dirt floor. (Read 1,651 times)

Sean Kerrigan
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Welcome to the dirt floor.
Jun 9th, 2013 at 3:56pm

Just seen max attachment is 75kb so I'll have to go back and change everything or..., that's a good idea, for the moment you could just go look at the album on Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Len Layman
WR Patron

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Re: Welcome to the dirt floor.
Reply #1 - Jun 9th, 2013 at 5:18pm

Sean,  How long does it take to sweep a dirt floor? Grin Grin   smiley=slap.gif

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

dennis nagle
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Waterford, Michigan, USA
Waterford
Michigan
USA

Reply #2 - Jun 10th, 2013 at 1:13pm

That looks like the shop I spent my summers in as a kid.  The old farmer's name was Bill Howell and he taught me all about fixing everything and anything on the farm.

Great looking shop.

My Art webpage

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Nat Davis
WR Noob

Destroy your enemies by
making them friends.

Soddy Daisy, Tennessee, USA
Soddy Daisy
Tennessee
USA

Reply #3 - Jun 11th, 2013 at 9:27am

I'd take that over the shop I have.... Oh wait, I don't have one! Yeah as long as its dry Its awesome to have space.

Nat the Project Guy

A little thought and a little kindness are often worth more than a great deal of money.
John Ruskin

IP Logged

dennis nagle
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Waterford, Michigan, USA
Waterford
Michigan
USA

Reply #4 - Jun 11th, 2013 at 10:04am

Dirt floors are actually better on your feet than hard floors.  It isn't so much the hardness, it is the uneven surface.  On a hard floor, the surface is even so the pressure points in your feet stay constant and ----  your feet hurt!!!

On a dirt floor, the slightest difference in angle for one step to the next, changes the pressure point so pain does not develop like on a hard surface.

I learned this from an old Dr.  I would complain about my feet hurting when I walked inside a mall in the winter.  During spring, summer, and fall, I walk through the woods and every step is different.

My Art webpage

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Sean Kerrigan
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #5 - Jun 11th, 2013 at 3:36pm

I agree Dennis and would add that it's also quite interesting keeping things fairly dangerous... that's the other thing about walking through the woods, you have to be aware of projecting stuff and be light on your feet.

I clean the dirt floor once in a while by starting at one end and using my hands to sorta brush everything up then sort all the piles into dirt, wood, metal, plastics paper etc.

Years ago I had a workshop and living space in the city where I did woodwork and welding and this fire safety guy dropped by and after looking gave me the all clear. I asked him why because I had piles of wood and shaving and a fairly obvious space for welding with oxy acetylene. He saaid guys who play with fire all the time are much more safety conscious even if it looks dangerous.

IP Logged

dennis nagle
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Waterford, Michigan, USA
Waterford
Michigan
USA

Reply #6 - Jun 11th, 2013 at 7:12pm

Where do you live Sean?  I also like dirt floors in the winter time.  Here in michigan a dirt floor will stay warmer than a concrete floor.

My Art webpage

IP Logged

Sean Kerrigan
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #7 - Jun 12th, 2013 at 3:48am

Well I was born in Hamilton in Ontario... but the past forty seven years I've been in Auckland in New Zealand. You could almost say I live on the reservation as I'm the only white man on a street... suburb full of Pacific Islanders.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
David Tackett
WR Noob

I Love WR!

Waynesburg, Kentucky, USA
Waynesburg
Kentucky
USA

Reply #8 - Jul 27th, 2013 at 7:12pm

Looks nice, very organized.