gary marquardt

WR Rocks!

Saline, Michigan, USA
Saline
Michigan
USA

help with pricing?
Jun 10th, 2013 at 11:04am

let  me set the scene first then get to the question. there is a local winery that  does their wine with cherries as a flavoring.  the  place is very popular and I have a connection   with the managers etc.  they  want  me to make some bottle stoppers and it's a great  thing since I have a bunch of Cherry  wood  from their trees.  they want to  sell the stoppers  for  around  $20 each.  I figure just in   parts etc I've got about $7.00 into them.  what's  my  best  bet here.  do I sell them to the store for  a price,say $15 and  not have to  worry about if they sell or  not  or...do i   have them  display,  and sell  and  then  collect my  money at the end.  the store really  isn't looking to make a  profit off them.  just  one of those add on  spur of the  moment purchases they figure.  thanks for any  insight.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Re: help with pricing?
Reply #1 - Jun 10th, 2013 at 11:28am

Price totally depends on the area.  On the west side of Phoenix, I can't sell stoppers, but others sell lots of them on the east side near Scottsdale and Tempe. 

I think the prices are a little low.  Don't undersell yourself.  IMHO, A fair retail price for a stopper would be at least $25.  For your time and creativity, I would expect nothing less than a $10 profit.

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Larry Matchett
WR Addict

Be One with your Tool!

Gulf Coast, Mississippi, Mississippi, USA
Gulf Coast, Mississippi
Mississippi
USA

Reply #2 - Jun 10th, 2013 at 1:17pm

If you make the stopper with a dowel and a cork they can be made vey cheaply.  They actually make very nice stoppers.  PM me if you would like a pix with directions.  Total cost is like .50 or so and takes 15 minutes to make.  Sell them to the winery for $15.  I would suggest you make a display log for them.  I would give that to them.  Log with holes drilled to hold maybe a dozen.

IP Logged

gary marquardt

WR Rocks!

Saline, Michigan, USA
Saline
Michigan
USA

Reply #3 - Jun 10th, 2013 at 2:52pm

I'm looking for a wine barrel stave or two for display.  If I strike out on that I've got a decent sized cherry branch I can drill some holes in for a display.

IP Logged

Nigel Thomas

WR Rocks!

Reply #4 - Jun 16th, 2013 at 2:39pm

Larry Matchett wrote on Jun 10th, 2013 at 1:17pm:
If you make the stopper with a dowel and a cork they can be made vey cheaply.  They actually make very nice stoppers.  PM me if you would like a pix with directions.  Total cost is like .50 or so and takes 15 minutes to make.  Sell them to the winery for $15.  I would suggest you make a display log for them.  I would give that to them.  Log with holes drilled to hold maybe a dozen.

PM sent Larry   smilies=bowdown

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print