Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
FS- Nova 1624-44 lathe 1.5Hp with outboard tool rest (Read 1,856 times)

Barden Koenig

Old Lyme and Manchester, Connecticut, USA
Old Lyme and Manchester
Connecticut
USA

FS- Nova 1624-44 lathe 1.5Hp with outboard tool rest
Jul 20th, 2013 at 8:47am

Up for sale I have my Nova 1624-44 wood lathe with the outboard tool rest and a few extras. This lathe wins constant awards for best value, most capable in its price range, and most powerful in its price range. The castings on its legs boast some slogan from Nova about superior design and I'm inclined to agree on many accounts. So here's some technical details. It has a 16" inboard swing, but the headstock swivels 360 degrees with 22.5 degree detents for repeatable positioning. The outboard turning attachment makes pieces up to 29" in diameter possible. Being an electrician I can tell you that the 1.5Hp motor capitalizes on as much power as possible from a single household outlet (120 volts) and distributes it well through a well-designed step-pulley system. The speed range has covered all of my turning needs to date. The longest spindle that can be turned on this lathe without adding another bed section ($200? online new) is a little over 24". I have been very happy with the leg design of this lathe. The outward splaying of all four legs makes for optimal stability and means that I'm never stepping around them or stubbing my toe. All the proper dancing that turning requires is uninhibited. One extremely unique feature of a lathe with these specs is that it disassembles down to parts that can be fit into the smallest of cars. All of the legs are removable, the headstock comes off, and the main bed section unbolts into two pieces. This lathe has served me well from spindles to coring bowls without any difficulty.

The picture I'm trying to include is from when I got the lathe. Since then, I have taken very good care of it. The ways and all other cast parts have no rust and are treated with a dry silicon lubricant. This lathe does come with the stock live center, the stock nova tool rest, and a curved tool rest for bowls. The chuck and live center shown are not included. Feel free to ask any questions.

I am located in southern Connecticut and would like to see $1100 for the lathe, outboard attachment, and the extra curved tool rest. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ken McCormack
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Re: FS- Nova 1624-44 lathe 1.5Hp with outboard tool rest
Reply #1 - Aug 16th, 2013 at 9:34am

Barden,
Have there been any repairs other than normal maintenance?
How old is it?
Unfortunately I am in Michigan, zip 48348.  Do you have any idea what the cost to ship and would you consider shipping it?

Much appreciated,
Ken

IP Logged

Barden Koenig

Old Lyme and Manchester, Connecticut, USA
Old Lyme and Manchester
Connecticut
USA

Re: FS- Nova 1624-44 lathe 1.5Hp with outboard tool rest
Reply #2 - Aug 20th, 2013 at 9:16pm

Hi Ken!

I believe the lathe to be all original parts with just regular maintenance. I would consider shipping it if it's still worth it to you with the added shipping cost. Initial shipping quotes seem aggressive due to the weight being above 250 Lbs. I'll keep researching and maybe we can work something out.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print