Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Vacuum pump chuck seals (Read 3,137 times)

Paul Gilbert
WR Supporter

Turned by Paul

Allen, TX, Texas, USA
Allen, TX
Texas
USA

Vacuum pump chuck seals
Jul 27th, 2013 at 10:39pm

The April issue of American Woodturner had an article on vacuum chuck seals. It sounds really neat. I go through a lot of the craft foam sticky sheets and thought that this should be on my to-do list. Anyone out there tried this? C & C solicited.

IP Logged

Jeff Smith
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Auburn, Washington, USA
Auburn
Washington
USA

Re: Vacuum pump chuck seals
Reply #1 - Jul 28th, 2013 at 12:19am

Paul: I haven't tried making them yet from the article, but I've been intending to as soon as I need to replace the foam that's been on my chucks since I made them quite a while ago (3years for the oldest one). It just keeps going.

When I started making my chucks, I wanted the foam to wrap from the inside of the rim to the outside smoothly. The only way I could figure out how to do that was to turn a recess in a piece of MDF as a form, then use the tailstock to force it over the chuck rim with a sheet of foam in between.

It worked great to form the seal, and also as easy way to store the chucks when not being used. Each chuck has its own mdf form (some share a single piece of MDF and some have a chuck stuck on both sides. Works great to keep the seal in place and clean while they're just sitting around.

IP Logged

Walt
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Hanford, California, USA
Hanford
California
USA

PM 3520A
Reply #2 - Jul 28th, 2013 at 3:58pm

I have not tried what the article describes.  To me it sounds like to much work.  I make my own chucks from MDF, put a few coats of sanding sealer on them and use the 1/8" thick craft foam from Michaels.  I use Super 77 spray adhesive and can get it to conform to just about all the inside and outside of the chuck that I want it to.  I replace the foam about once a year after heavy use.

IP Logged

Joseph Schlawin

WR Rocks!

Crown Point, Indiana, USA
Crown Point
Indiana
USA

Reply #3 - Jul 29th, 2013 at 8:51am

I use an MDF faceplate with a heavier (about 1/2 in thick) foam that I picked up somewhere.  It is like a heavier craft foam and works great.  I haven't tried the PVC chucks yet because I haven't needed to mount anything with an uneven rim, but I think I could just make a recess on the faceplate and put a piece of PVC on whenever I needed it.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #4 - Jul 29th, 2013 at 9:14am

I make my own PVC vacuum chucks and have found if I make a oversized washer out of the craft foam and not use any adhesive the foam sheet last a lot longer
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2013 at 9:15am by Ron Sardo »  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #5 - Jul 29th, 2013 at 10:23am

Walt wrote on Jul 28th, 2013 at 3:58pm:
I have not tried what the article describes.  To me it sounds like to much work.

+1
I have used a few different things as others have described. I think my next ones I will get some of the PVC gaskets from Rubber Chucky
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Alice Heckman

Kearney, Nebraska, USA
Kearney
Nebraska
USA

Reply #6 - Jul 30th, 2013 at 7:10am

Love the Rubber Chucky seals!

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Supporter

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, USA
North DFW
Texas
USA

Reply #7 - Jul 30th, 2013 at 12:25pm

Paul, I too read that article. And may make one. do not have vacuum system made yet. He is not the best when it comes to explaining things. If you decide to make a mold, some things to consider are: the reason you angle the sides is so the part will eject easily, 10-15 degrees in this case. The center could be glued up and turned at one time instead of layers. Since there are no ejector pins, have the outer part of the mold able to un-screw from the base, then you can push the part out. Of the torus, any area of it that is outside the walls will break off easily. Yes to painting the cavity. Also, wax the cavity before filling. A good paste wax will do. Or get some release agent.
Glenn J.

IP Logged

Grant Wilkinson
WR Supporter

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
Canada

Reply #8 - Aug 1st, 2013 at 1:57pm

I have not read the article, but I can second Alice's endorsement of Rubby Chucky seals. They seal very well, and can be moved from chuck to chuck easily, since they are not glued on. I had a minor shipping problem with mine when I first ordered, and they came through with excellent customer service.

Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON

IP Logged

Peter Fabricius

Hanover, Ontario, Ontario, Canada
Hanover, Ontario
Ontario
Canada

Reply #9 - Aug 6th, 2013 at 9:30pm

I make my own PVC vac chucks and also the Silicone seals to go with them.
If there is any interest, I can attach the tutorial for the chucks so you can make your own chucks.
1.5" , 2" , and 3" PVC sizes standard pipe and a wood base drilled and tapped to fit directly on the spindle. The base could also be attached via a face plate.
Peter F.
« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2013 at 9:04am by Ron Sardo »  
hanoverwoodturner  
IP Logged

David Mueller
WR Champion

College Station, Texas, USA
College Station
Texas
USA

Reply #10 - Aug 8th, 2013 at 11:44am

I use suede leather as a seal, applied using contact cement. It seals very well at high vacuum and at low vacuum you can easily adjust the piece so it runs true. The foam seems to be too sticky to do this adjustment as easily.

Just north of Houston in Aggieland - Class of '62
IP Logged

Ricc Havens
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Reply #11 - Aug 9th, 2013 at 1:03pm

Pete,

I would be interested in your tutorial.

Thanks
Ricc Havens
rv.havens@gmail.com

IP Logged

Peter Fabricius

Hanover, Ontario, Ontario, Canada
Hanover, Ontario
Ontario
Canada

Reply #12 - Aug 10th, 2013 at 6:57pm

Hi Ricc;
I have attached the PDF and hope you can download it. It may be useful for other members as well.
Good luck, please let me know how you make out.
Peter F.

P.S. The attachment in PDF format is not allowed. I will send the tutorial to you at your email address.....

hanoverwoodturner  
IP Logged

Tony Rozendaal
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

East Troy, WI, Wisconsin, USA
East Troy, WI
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #13 - Aug 10th, 2013 at 8:18pm

Peter;

I would be interested in your tutorial as well.

Thanks

Turnin' and learnin'

WWW trozendaal  
IP Logged

Paul Gilbert
WR Supporter

Turned by Paul

Allen, TX, Texas, USA
Allen, TX
Texas
USA

Reply #14 - Aug 10th, 2013 at 9:06pm

Peter - thanks for following up on what I started. I am packing and otherwise preparing for an extended vacation at this moment - can one call a trip a vacation once you have retired???. Things are a bit hectic here right now. Your jumping in where I should have followed up is much appreciated.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print