with my chores.

The Villages, Florida, USA
The Villages
Florida
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V, now with Stainless Ways
R U LinkedIn?
Aug 29th, 2013 at 4:17pm

Through work (the job that pays the bills and helps me fund my woodturning affliction Cheesy) I have an profile on LinkedIn.

LinkedIn allows people with similar interests share common ideas, findings and address common problems.  Additionally it connects those that can help (in this case people that operate museums or art shops can communicate directly with a large group of artists).

Anyway, I have an profile and I have started to include my woodturning connections there and thought I would let everyone here know.

I DO NOT WANT TO IN ANY WAY pull anyone away from this forum.  I really appreciate this group and I will not stop or alter my review and providing my $0.02 when I think it could be beneficial.  However in the area of marketing, maybe we should have input from those outside the turning community, those that will be or could be marketing our turnings for us. Thumbs Up

Your thoughts??

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
steve rost

Jigaholic

Mansfield, Texas, USA
Mansfield
Texas
USA

Re: R U LinkedIn?
Reply #1 - Aug 30th, 2013 at 6:18am

I do not market my turnings but have considered it. Honest feed back from any group should be benificial.

One measure of a great craftsman is how well he can hide his mistakes!

IP Logged

Steve Doerr
WR Addict

Wood is one of God's hidden /> /> canvases.

Joplin, Missouri, USA
Joplin
Missouri
USA

Rikon 70-050VS
Jet 1642 EVS 2HP
Robust American Beauty
Reply #2 - Aug 30th, 2013 at 9:19am

Tom,
Got your LinkedIn the other day and get lots from other people from my previous profession.  However, I'm in the dark as to how to use it.  (I also don't do much with Facebook. So that tells you a lot about my social media skills.) If you could share with all of us how to use it and how this could help us I think it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #3 - Aug 30th, 2013 at 9:22am

I have had a linkedin account for years which I setup for my business. I basically abandoned it because it seemed to me that everyone on there was looking for a job.

YMMV

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

The Villages, Florida, USA
The Villages
Florida
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V, now with Stainless Ways
Reply #4 - Aug 30th, 2013 at 9:38am

Let me preface this with:

I don’t have any personal interest in LinkedIn (no business or investment on my part).  I don’t participate in any social media sites.  I have been working with LinkedIn for about 2- 3 weeks.

At LinkedIn one can associate with the groups of ones choosing.  Besides the groups that are focused on my work, I belong to the following groups:

Woodturning
Woodturners
Fine Art Professionals and Collectors
Museum & Art Galleries

I do not find these groups to be nearly as active as WR, nor nearly as helpful.  It is not a site for the technical advice like we share here.  It seems to be more commercial and sharing commercial experiences (like experiences with a museum or art gallery) but is shares the perspective in both directions.

I have found a number of well-known turners there, but also some others that I expected were not part of LinkedIn (found: Doug Fisher, Mike Gibson, etc.  Not found: Jimmy Clewes).

I don’t know if it will take off for our needs or not, but it is interesting to me to follow some of the talk about marketing woodturnings.

Tom
« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2013 at 10:01am by Tom Coghill »  

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Addict

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, Texas, USA
North DFW, Texas
Texas
USA

Powermatic 3520C
Reply #5 - Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:26pm

Been on Linkedin for several years for job. Not found it very helpful. Might not use it to full advantage. Glenn J. Embarrassed

Woodworking all my life. Turning since ~93
Glenn+J  
IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #6 - Aug 30th, 2013 at 1:21pm

I've been on it for several months with the lead being my pen making.  I've gotten no pen sales inquiries, but have gotten several messages to see if I wanted to buy pens, or sell me something having nothing to do with turning.  And a lot of requests to put in resumes for unrelated jobs in other parts of the country.

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print