Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Craftsman 113.23881 question (Read 1,233 times)

Steve Zinger
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Craftsman 113.23881 question
Sep 3rd, 2013 at 4:50pm

Trying to figure out this lathe. The tail stock and headstock do not align. Any help on aligning them would be appreciated.

Thanks

IP Logged

Walt Nollan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Hanford, California, USA
Hanford
California
USA

PM 3520A
Re: Craftsman 113.23881 question
Reply #1 - Sep 3rd, 2013 at 5:38pm

How is it not lining up?  A picture might help

IP Logged

Jim Killen
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

NYC, New York, USA
NYC
New York
USA

Reply #2 - Sep 3rd, 2013 at 7:00pm

If the misalignment is lateral, the tube can be adjusted. There should be a locking screw (allen head) on the head stock and tail stock end. Loosen them slightly, set the alignment, and retighten. It's a pretty common problem with that lathe.

IP Logged

Steve Zinger
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #3 - Sep 3rd, 2013 at 9:13pm

I don't see any adjustments on the tail and headstocks, maybe I'm just missing them. I'll look closer in the morning.

Pic to follow

IP Logged

Jim Killen
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

NYC, New York, USA
NYC
New York
USA

Reply #4 - Sep 3rd, 2013 at 9:38pm

Steve, look at the tail stock end of the tube, where it fastens to the bench. There is a hole in the fastening bracket. There should be an allen head screw in that hole that holds the tail stock end. I don't remember where the head stock screw is, but I believe its on the back side of the head stock near the bottom. If you go to Sears home page, you can probably find a copy of the manual for that lathe, which should tell you how to adjust the alignment.

IP Logged

Steve Zinger
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #5 - Sep 4th, 2013 at 9:31am

Jim, Here is a pic of the tail stock. I don't see any hole or Allen head screw. I do have a copy of the manual, but no mention of alignment. I'll pick up on this in my next post with another pic.

IP Logged

Steve Zinger
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #6 - Sep 4th, 2013 at 9:34am

Here is a pic of the side of the tail stock. There is a set screw and in the manual it says "the set screw, No. 30, in the tailstock should be checked occasionally to assure the proper pressure against the key and to keep tailstock at 90 degrees to the tubular bed". So it would seem to me that this is the adjustment, but no matter how I alter that screw the alignment does not change. Your thoughts?

IP Logged

Steve Zinger
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #7 - Sep 4th, 2013 at 9:35am

One more pic. This is the alignment looking down from the top.

IP Logged

Jim Killen
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

NYC, New York, USA
NYC
New York
USA

Reply #8 - Sep 4th, 2013 at 10:11am

Steve, it's been 15 or 20 years since I played with that lathe, but the tube is adjustable. In the end of the tube at that tail stock end, there appears to be a slotted screw in your picture. That screw holds a cam inside the tube which holds the tube in place. There's another fastener in the head stock end, but I don't remember where it is. By loosening those screws, you can rotate that tube, and correct your alignment problem. You'll find that even a minor catch while turning will cause the tube to rotate slightly, knocking your alignment off. When I owned that lathe, after adjusting the tube 100 times, I found a solution. There's a square key on the bottom of the tube that runs the full length. Once I had it aligned, I put steel blocks on either side of the key, and screwed them to the bench so the tube can't rotate.
Good luck!

IP Logged

Bert Delisle
WR Addict

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Reply #9 - Sep 4th, 2013 at 10:18am

here is a manual that tells how to set up that vintage lathe an align the head stock to the tail stock. It appears that you lock the tail stock to the tube and then rotate the tail stockAND the tube in the Head stock  bore to get final alignment. It may be a bit fiddly but not too difficult.
good luck.
113.23881 Craftsman/Emerson 12" x 37" Lathe (tubular steel bed ...
vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=2875
Dec 8, 2009 - Publication Details. Publication Class: Wood Working Machinery. Publication Title: 113.23881 Craftsman/Emerson 12" x 37" Lathe (tubular ...

IP Logged

Harri Merivirta

WR Rocks!

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Sudbury
Ontario
Canada

Reply #10 - Sep 4th, 2013 at 10:27am

Steve,

With those lathes it's not that difficult, but you need to familiarize yourself with the nuts and bolts, not too many of them in the older equipment compared to the ones made today. Don't be afraid to try things you can always return it to the way it was but you'll discover how it works and, like Jim, you'll figure out the cure to the problem.

Thinking outside the box is not always a bad thing.

IP Logged

Steve Zinger
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #11 - Sep 4th, 2013 at 12:40pm

Thanks I'm eager to monkey with it when I get home

IP Logged

Steve Zinger
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #12 - Sep 4th, 2013 at 4:17pm

Success!!! Thanks everyone for your patient and diligent help. It aligned perfectly after I removed the lathe from it's bench stand so I could find the set screw as Jim and Bert indicated. I think I may need to bore a hole in the stand top so I can get to the set screw with removing the entire lathe.

Thanks again - aren't forums great!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print