Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Notice Rocky Mountain Wood turning sympsoium is cancelled (Read 1,073 times)

Dale Bonertz
WR Addict

Notice Rocky Mountain Wood turning sympsoium is cancelled
Sep 13th, 2013 at 8:46am

We are flooding everywhere. Interstate and arterial roads closed everywhere.

Dale

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Alice Heckman

Kearney, Nebraska, USA
Kearney
Nebraska
USA

Re: Notice Rocky Mountain Wood turning sympsoium is cancelled
Reply #1 - Sep 13th, 2013 at 4:44pm

Dale, I would like to thank all of the Rocky Mountain woodturners for their efforts to organize the symposium.  We drove half of the way there before we learned of the cancellation.  But after hearing all of the reports of road closures I can see that you had no choice but to cancel.  I wish I were there learning all sorts of new things, but there is always next year.

IP Logged

Bert Delisle
WR Devotee

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Reply #2 - Sep 13th, 2013 at 8:29pm

Very unfortunate state of events unfolding in Northern Colorado. The road closures turned me around at Cheyenne Wy. wifi'd and found email informing the status, Thanks to the Organizing folks for mass mailing the info.
I know they are now all really busy looking after their communities.

IP Logged

Alice Heckman

Kearney, Nebraska, USA
Kearney
Nebraska
USA

Reply #3 - Sep 14th, 2013 at 7:30am

Oh Bert, your trip was much worse than ours!  We got to Julesberg Colorado and found a wi-fi spot to check on things.  We knew about the flooding when we started out, but I was hoping that it was localized and not effecting the symposium site.  But as my husband was saying, no one can say we are wimps, we tried to get there!

IP Logged

Dale Bonertz
WR Addict

Reply #4 - Sep 14th, 2013 at 7:54am

Thank you both,
It is still bothering me this morning. We had people come from England, Alaska and from around the country. In addition many vendors coming from out of state. Allen, Trent, Cindy, John, Hoyle, Jerry and Myself have put in a lot of time planning and preparing. It is gut wrenching to have to cancel it. Our club invests a lot of money for the event as well so the decision did not come easy. About 1/2 hour after we made the decision, based upon not being able to get equipment to the facility, the facility called and said they are cancelling all scheduled events for the weekend. As wood turners we are a resilient and resourceful bunch so I am confident we will recover.

To all those who traveled and everyone who registered thank you for supporting us. We are sorry we had to cancel. We know this is a burden for you also.

Thank you,

Dale A. Bonertz

Dale

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #5 - Sep 14th, 2013 at 11:04am

And with the facility cancelling, they should not be able to charge you for use.

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Alice Heckman

Kearney, Nebraska, USA
Kearney
Nebraska
USA

Reply #6 - Sep 14th, 2013 at 12:01pm

Dale, don't feel too bad for us.  We have gone on fishing trips when the fish weren't biting, and tent camping trips when it poured rain the entire time, and bike trips where the wind blew 65 mph in your face.  Adversity is a part of life and actually, one remembers the trips with the adversity much better than the ones that go according to plan.  This symposium will remain in my memory better than some that went as planned.  The 2013 Rocky Mountain Woodturning Symposium will be a very memorable one indeed!

IP Logged

Dale Bonertz
WR Addict

Reply #7 - Sep 14th, 2013 at 12:36pm

You're right Alice. Still (edited out) for those that were here like Wes and so many others.

You would hope that is true Jim. I certainly will fight it if necessary. We still need to talk to the caterer. I know they hadn't started preparing the food yet but had purchased it for the events lunches and banquet. We also had the food prepared for the meet and greet on Friday. Then there is the travel expenses for demonstrators and lodging and food and etc. We also have the T-shirts, printing and on and on with expenses that goes along with such events. They are expensive to host such events. We have always raised about $5000 to $6000 for our EOG to help other clubs, schools and etc. which we won't have this year. It just goes on and on with how such a hard decision affects so many things and people. We'll get through it and thanks to all for your support and understanding.

Dale

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Wes Murphy

WR Rocks!

Rapid City, South Dakota, USA
Rapid City
South Dakota
USA

Reply #8 - Sep 14th, 2013 at 1:28pm

Alice Heckman wrote on Sep 14th, 2013 at 12:01pm:
The 2013 Rocky Mountain Woodturning Symposium will be a very memorable one indeed!

That is a real understatement, Alice.  It will very memorable for us.

wes.murphy2  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print