Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2014 Calendar Submissions (Read 3,375 times)

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
2014 Calendar Submissions
Sep 17th, 2013 at 12:18pm

Hey Folks,
Yes, it's that time of the year again.

This gives you about a month to get a good, high resolution photo of your best work of 2013.

Anything turned this year (2013) is eligible.

Deadline to get your photo(s) in is Midnight Friday, October 25, 2013 (Pacific Time).

Voting will begin on Sunday, October 27, 2013 and close Midnight Saturday, November 2, 2013 (Pacific Time). A link will be provided later for voting.  To have your photos part of the voting process, I will need a high resolution version no later than Friday, October 25, 2013.

The calendars should be ready around Thanksgiving for Christmas shopping.

To Enter and have your submissions approved, please read the following carefully.

● Contest is open to all WR Members.

● Each member can enter a maximum of 3 photos.

● Photos that are are low resolution, out of focus, have distracting backgrounds or do not fit into a woodturning calendar will not be accepted.

● Make a copy of your file and reduce the resolution to a maximum of 75k. Place your low resolution image(s) in the 2014 WR Calendar Album in the Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register. Save the high resolution image(s) for me.

● As the submissions are entered into the gallery, I will notify you if they are approved or rejected. If they are approved, I will then ask you to email me the high resolution version of your turnings. Do Not Send Me Photos Until I Ask For them

● Image must fit nicely in a landscape frame measuring 10" wide by 7.5". Tall skinny portrait photos will not be accepted 

IMPORTANT:
Please rename the files with your name and project name such as "your_name_project_name.jpg".  Files named DSN_123.jpg or something similar will not be accepted. Please, make it easy for me.

Take a look at our calendars from years past
          Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
          Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

A couple of tips on photographing turnings and having your images accepted:

● Make sure your image is in focus.

● Set your camera on it's highest resolution setting, which means you'll get the biggest file your camera can provide. It is not unusual for files to exceed 3 meg or even 5 meg. Remember these images will be reproduced to fit into a 9.5" x 7" image area, enlarging small images to fit will make them grainy.

● Send in the unaltered files. Do not crop, edit or manipulate the image in anyway. Photos that are altered will be rejected.

● Enlarging photos from 72 dpi to 300 dpi doesn't work, all you get is a grainy bloated file that will print poorly.

● Use a light tent to diffuse light and soften shadows.

● Use backgrounds like neutral gray or white. Gradient backgrounds look best. Grey would be the second choice.

● Avoid the "The Kitchen Table" pose with the poor lighting, multiple textures and background colors that can obscure the subject & cause color reflections that aren't true to life.

● Photos with seams in the background will be rejected.

● Photos with blue backgrounds will be rejected.

● Avoid having the subject right next to the edges, I may need that extra space to work with.

● Frame the photo so that the subject has some space on all sides. I may need to rotate and crop as needed. If the subject is right against an edge I won't have any room to work and your image may be disqualified.

● If possible, try to photograph the profile & upper portion in the same shot. Using an angle that just barely shows the rim opening helps the viewer see the full form as well as the thickness/finish quality of the inside.

Check List For Your Submissions To Be Approved:

Must be in focus
Unaltered files.
No blue backgrounds
Clean Backgrounds
No wrinkled sheets background
No Seams
Avoid having the subject right next to the edges
No Hot Spots (bright light reflections)
File is properly named "your name_project name.jpg" ie: Ron_Sardo_platter.jpg
The file must be a tif or a jpg. Contact me about other file types before emailing them to me.
Image must fit nicely in a landscape frame measuring 10" wide by 7.5" tall
Must be a high resolution photo.

Good Luck.
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2013 at 2:27pm by Ron Sardo »  

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Re: 2014 Calendar Submissions
Reply #1 - Sep 21st, 2013 at 10:27am

Gallery is now open

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #2 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 5:21pm

Just a reminder to get your photos in.

I've noticed that a number of nice work has been uploaded to the Gallery but only one is in the 2014 Calendar section.

Thanks!

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #3 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 8:14am

Only 2 entries so far, time is running out!

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #4 - Oct 24th, 2013 at 5:01pm

I finally got mine submitted, now where is everyone else?
We have over 6200 members, you would think we could get a dozen for a calender. Roll Eyes
Let's go people, time is running out!

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #5 - Oct 25th, 2013 at 3:18pm

Thanks Ed

I'm going to extend the deadline to next Friday, November 1st

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #6 - Oct 25th, 2013 at 4:33pm

Quote:
I'm going to extend the deadline to next Friday, November 1st

So I busted my rear end for nothing  Grin

C'mon people, we need some more entries

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #7 - Nov 3rd, 2013 at 9:03am

The calendar is closed for submissions. I'll be working on building poll today.

Thanks to all that submitted their photos

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print