Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Fluteless gouges (Read 6,844 times)
Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

Re: Fluteless gouges
Reply #15 - Jan 25th, 2014 at 10:17pm

Robo,
Good presentation and very well explained.
How do you like the Robust and what were your decision makers? Hard for me to make up my mind as I keep changing.

cheers,
Lee

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #16 - Jan 26th, 2014 at 12:15pm

I love my Robust lathes. I have a Beauty and a Liberty. I wanted to step up from my old PM 3520A for more horse power. The Beauty comes with a 3 hp motor. I wanted a sliding headstock. I wanted made in America. Oneway was out, no sliding headstock. Serious was out for the same reason. VB36 was out because it just said 'bowl' lathe no matter the configuration. I also love the telescoping legs so you can set your lathe to any height without having to put it on risers. If you see one in person, the construction is second to none. If I ever set up a woodturning school, I may have other lathes so people can experiment, but I can't see many improvements that could be made. While not an engineer by trade, I do have the 'if it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it any way' syndrome. There are a lot of people who buy the sliding headstock and pivoting headstocks and never use that feature. I always slide it down to the end and can stand up straight and keep the tool in close to my body.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #17 - Jan 26th, 2014 at 2:45pm

Quote:
Ed,
If it is skating off, then that is more like the skew when you come off the bevel, though with the steeper bevel, the skating won't be so dramatic. I can't say that I have ever had a catch with one of these. High shear angle, and drop the handle slightly and you can't get it off balance. If you lived close by I would have you over for a session.

Reed, I don't have an problems using these tools at all, I don't use them, hence no problem.
While I do appreciate the offer, it would be a short session, I'd rather sink a few cold ones instead of cursing at those evil tools. Like I said, not my cup of tea. I can get all the different cuts I need with the tools that like me without trying to tame those retched things.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #18 - Jan 26th, 2014 at 3:45pm

Ed,
That almost sounds like me and the skew.....

robo hippy

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #19 - Jan 26th, 2014 at 5:01pm

Quote:
Ed,
That almost sounds like me and the skew.....

robo hippy

This is a family trendily forum, theirs no need for that kind of language.

IP Logged

Rick Caron

So many logs, so little
time!

Greer, South Carolina, USA
Greer
South Carolina
USA

Reply #20 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 2:33pm

There are too many variables in bowl making, and too many tools. Whatever floats your boat  go for it. Smiley

IP Logged

Billy Burt
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

San Antonio, Texas, USA
San Antonio
Texas
USA

Reply #21 - Mar 4th, 2014 at 10:55pm

Great! Another tool I have to have. LOML isn't gonna be happy. Lol

Billy B.
Billy Burt  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #22 - Mar 4th, 2014 at 11:20pm

And if she's not happy...

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Leo De Bruin

Turning pro as soon as
I retire

Kitwanga, BC, Canada, Canada
Kitwanga, BC, Canada
Canada

Reply #23 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 1:14am

It is now 4 yrs or so since the last post. I have just watched Robo's video for the second time and I am thinking about ordering one from Doug T. to do the inside of my bowls. Anything that cuts down on sanding floats my boat!

I am interested in feed back from anyone who uses this tool on a regular basis now?  I am thinking the tool has been around for awhile now should be more people using it or was it just a fad ie latest and greatest!

Thanx

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #24 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 9:59am

Might be helpful to share description of areas/results that require sanding.  For example, just in transition zone?  Just across flat bottom?  Outside also?  What
sizes of bowls?

For example, when making salad mixing bowls 5-6" deep I was always hollowing from the middle out and from the top down, so I was sneaking up on final wall thickness over 10 minutes or more.  The top of the bowl was warping as I was working, so the last attempts to take a smooth shaving from the rim to the transition zone never took a continuous cut at the top of the wall.  And thin shear scraping didn't solve the problem.  About a year ago I realized warping was the problem, and I would work the bowl interior down in 1" or 1 1/2" stages, and take the final inside cut at the top of the side before it warped.  In other words, my technique was the problem, and adding another tool would not have made any difference.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #25 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 10:56am

One of the conundrums of woodturning, well maybe life in general, every piece is different. On bowls up to maybe 12 inches, I can take a 'one final pass' on pretty much the whole inside of the bowl. Some woods yes, some no. I have figured out that, especially at higher speeds, the wood will elongate in the same direction that it will warp because of the grain orientation. Another thing that can make them feel like they are warping is too much bevel pressure, which again causes that elongating along the warping lines/grain orientation. I am still trying to get the zero bevel rub pressure figured out. "The bevel should rub the wood, but the wood should not know it!" No idea who said that one, but it was attributed to some skew master.... Too much bevel rub can also set up harmonic vibrations that can be quite loud...

robo hippy

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #26 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 11:37am

Don Stephan wrote on Jul 8th, 2018 at 9:59am:
so I was sneaking up on final wall thickness over 10 minutes or more.  The top of the bowl was warping as I was working, so the last attempts to take a smooth shaving from the rim to the transition zone never took a continuous cut at the top of the wall.

Short answer would be to use dryer wood.  Grin but the issue you had is not uncommon.
In addition to what Reed mentioned there are also variables like where the blank was cut from the tree. Was it in compression before being cut. Internal stress is relieved when you remove material, this can cause warping.
The difference between the moisture content of the wood and the ambient humidity can cause warping. If it's dry in your shop and the wood has a high moisture content is can cause warping  The greater the difference, the greater chance of warping.
(I have low humidity in the summer months, at night the humidity is in the 40's and during the day it drops to the teens. It's almost impossible to turn green wood without it warping. I rarely turn green wood)
As you mentioned Don, this is a method of work or technique problem, even possibly a wood problem but not a tool problem.

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #27 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 6:12pm

I've purchased two of these over the past few years...a 1/2" and a 1".  I think we all have inherent likes and dislikes for tools...perhaps it's a technique that just doesn't feel comfortable or that the tool just doesn't fit our eye.  I too prefer my gouges but I'll ocassionally break out the 1" fluteless gouge where the traditional gouge just isn't working and/or the grain is exceptionally squirrely.  I prefer the larger version for its mass and what I can do with it on a high shear angle.  In either case and for myself, the fluteless gouge is sort of my tool of last resort and if nothing else, it does keep me from having to reach for the old 80-grit gouge.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #28 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 7:02pm

John Grace wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 6:12pm:
I think we all have inherent likes and dislikes for tools...perhaps it's a technique that just doesn't feel comfortable or that the tool just doesn't fit our eye.

Bingo!

IMO fluteless gouge is an incorrect name for these tools.
No flute means it's a chisel, much like the skew is a chisel. These are single bevel curved edge chisels but still chisels, not gouges of any kind.
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2018 at 7:02pm by Ed Weber »  

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Dave DeJong
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #29 - Jan 29th, 2019 at 10:09am

I've just recently have gotten back into turning after about a 15 year absence and I found in my old tool arsenal 2 Benjamins Best Versa Tools. I had to look them up because I didn't know what they were. Look's to be the same as Sorby's Spindle Master-cheaper steel of course. Anyhow I've been playing around with these things for the last couple of weeks and have gotten to really like them and finding more and more uses for them. Yesterday I finished and cleaned up the inside of a small end grain hard maple box with the smaller one. Great timing on the topic for me as now I'm going to look at more of these fluteless gouges Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print