Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Fifth Annual Secret Santa Ornament C&T (Read 16,486 times)

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Fifth Annual Secret Santa Ornament C&T
Nov 5th, 2013 at 12:35pm

Hope everyone is ready for another Challenge & Trade.  Your new challenge is to turn a Christmas Ornament.  Aah, but not just any Christmas ornament.  It’s similar to last year’s Ornament C&T, but it must be made from at least
different woods or other materials
in any configuration. Whether laminated, segmented, mortise/tenon joint, or whatever.  And it must have some sort of hollow center, such as, inside out, hollowed or a shell.  You don't have to be an expert to participate, just give it your best effort.

If you want to do multiple trades, they don't have to be different, just label pictures as "#1 Inside Out" and "#2 Bird House".

We will open the gallery by Saturday, November 23.  Pictures must be posted by 9am PST Thursday, November 28.  I will figure the round robin assignments using Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register and PM the results later that day.  Like last year, we want everyone to get these before Christmas, so all packages need to be postmarked by Saturday, December 7.

As was implied by the Subject Line, this will be a Mystery Round Robin style trade.  Everyone who participates will be assigned another member to surprise with their Ornament.  Everyone needs to post here when they ship, but don’t mention to whom or where you are sending it, and again when they receive their ornament.

Please sign up if you plan to participate, the more, the merrier and say how many trades you want to do.  But remember, if your picture is not posted, and you haven't PM'ed your address to me, by 9am PST Thursday, November 28, you will not be assigned a trade.  Also indicate in your PM whether you are willing to pay the additional postage to trade with our Canadian and overseas members, if we have any participate.

OK!  You have more than 3 weeks to do this.  Let's get out there and turn some ornaments!  If you are not sure you can handle this, go out to your shop and try some different ideas.  It may surprise you how easy these are.  Look at the galleries from previous years for ideas.  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register, Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register, Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register, Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.  We have had up to 16 members participate previous years.  Let’s see if we can eclipse that number.  We have a lot more members now.

“I dare you!”

For those members who are new and wonder what a C&T might be, here is our explanation.

C&T stands for Challenge & Trade.  We define the parameters of a challenge for you to perform.  After completion, you post a picture in the new C&T area of the Gallery.  Participants will receive a PM with name and address of the member they are to send the completed item.  They will receive one from the same person if we are doing partners, or a different person if we do a Round Robin trade.  If we are doing partners and have an odd number complete the challenge, we end up with the 3 final members in a Round Robin.  Sometimes like this one, we do a Mystery Round Robin where nobody knows whose piece they will receive until they get it.

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Guy Bratt
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Richmond, Michigan, USA
Richmond
Michigan
USA

Robust American Beauty
Rikon 70-100
Re: Fifth Annual Secret Santa Ornament C&T
Reply #1 - Nov 5th, 2013 at 12:51pm

Hi Jim    Count me in for one trade for sure

Old, Fat,n Ugly...I shed 100 pounds this year.  Still old.  Still ugly. But what can you do at this age?
You know? If you knew me you'd see my avatar and I really look a lot alike.

IP Logged

Bert Delisle
WR Addict

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Reply #2 - Nov 7th, 2013 at 12:21pm

Count me in, Going out to the shop to get started.

IP Logged

Bill Schoppert

WR Rocks!

Issaquah, WA, Washington, USA
Issaquah, WA
Washington
USA

Reply #3 - Nov 7th, 2013 at 9:27pm

Count me in

Bill Schoppert  
IP Logged

Syd Sellers

WR Rocks!

West Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
West Kelowna
British Columbia
Canada

Reply #4 - Nov 8th, 2013 at 11:01am

Bert Delisle wrote on Nov 7th, 2013 at 12:21pm:
Count me in, Going out to the shop to get started.

Bert, what happens at the boarder???  You can carry your across, but just curious as to what may happen if I joined it….

Syd Sellers
Rocky Roost Wood Turning
If it isn't round, it hasn't been turned yet!
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Syd Sellers s.sellers@me.com  
IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #5 - Nov 8th, 2013 at 11:11am

Syd, You will need to fill out a Customs Declaration form (for the US it is form CN22) at the Post Office when you mail your piece.  Check the box for Gift.  Country of Origin.  Description is “Woodcraft”.  Quantity is 1.  Weight is determined by Post Office scale   Value is $1   HS Tariff left blank.  Fill in the From & To sections, and then sign and date it.  There is no duty due on it.

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Addict

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #6 - Nov 8th, 2013 at 5:04pm

I can do this too --   

Good theme Jim!!

IP Logged

Jerry Toschlog

WR Rocks!

Centerville, Indiana, USA
Centerville
Indiana
USA

Reply #7 - Nov 13th, 2013 at 12:11am

Ok, I am a newbe but I am in, as matter of fact I have mine done already except the finish coats. Please, any other newbe's out there, come on and join in, don't be shy....
Jerry

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #8 - Nov 13th, 2013 at 12:50am

Take Jerry's challenge.  You still have 16 days to try something.  If you don't try, you lose!  If you try, you win, whether you complete one or not.  And if you are successful, you can trade it for one from another turner who may or may not be More experienced than you.

And think of all the lathe time you get.

IP Logged

Jerry Toschlog

WR Rocks!

Centerville
Indiana
USA

Reply #9 - Nov 13th, 2013 at 11:30am

I agree with Jim, just try something. Let me say this to those (like me) who feel their turning technique is not up to doing this competition, THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX!
I know my technique and quality is not the best as I am still learning. I decided to make something totally different that I have never ever seen, gee, what could it be. After a few days I the idea popped into my head, I have even googled it and have yet to see anything like this, but I am sure it's out there someplace.  For me this challenge has already paid off with the idea alone, it is so simple but makes since. So if Jim don't mind me saying this, take the challenge, follow the rules, and look at the previous years pictures. Then add a personal challenge, by turning an ornament that is unique, again, think outside the box. I think it would be cool to see this year with the most entrants ever.             

IP Logged

Bob Hamilton
WR Addict

Forest, Ontario, Canada, Ontario, Canada
Forest, Ontario, Canada
Ontario
Canada

Reply #10 - Nov 13th, 2013 at 4:49pm

Count me in as well, Jim!  I'll let you know how many after the craft sale on Saturday....  Cheesy

Bob

IP Logged

Jennifer Hasan

WR Rocks!

Beacon, ny, New York, USA
Beacon, ny
New York
USA

Reply #11 - Nov 14th, 2013 at 5:18am

Count me in. I'm new to turning so I hope the person who gets my ornament is forgiving. Smiley

Jenn

IP Logged

Jerry Toschlog

WR Rocks!

Centerville
Indiana
USA

Reply #12 - Nov 14th, 2013 at 3:14pm

Jenn,

Thanks for jumping in, as now I don't feel like the only newbe...

IP Logged

Jennifer Hasan

WR Rocks!

Beacon, ny, New York, USA
Beacon, ny
New York
USA

Reply #13 - Nov 14th, 2013 at 6:45pm

My pleasure, Jerry. I promise that if I receive yours, I will heap tons of praise.

Jenn

IP Logged

Curtis Warstler

WR Rocks!

Thornton, Colorado, USA
Thornton
Colorado
USA

JET 1236
Something Wicked this way comes...
Reply #14 - Nov 14th, 2013 at 10:49pm

Alright jim,
I'll jump in. I need to get some lathe time in on something. Plus I have to get another project going anyways.

Curt Smiley

So many hobbies so little time.....
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print