Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Stuart Batty On Tenons (Read 2,920 times)

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Re: Stuart Batty On Tenons
Reply #15 - Nov 15th, 2013 at 12:18pm

Well, I may have not interpreted it correctly. He never mentions the word dove tail, and that is what he makes on the tenon to mount it into the Vicmark chucks. When I took the workshop with Stuart and his dad, 5 or so years ago, Stuart had me making tenons for some bowls we were turning. They were maybe 5 inches tall, and about the same diameter, so more of a closed form compared to what I normally turn. I made a tenon maybe 1/2 inch deep, and he had me round off the corners on the tenon for no more than 1/4 inch being in actual contact with the chuck jaws. He said it made the grip weaker. Not sure if I got an explanation or not. If the chuck jaw/tenon angles match perfectly, it should not be a problem. For sure if they are not a perfect match, the piece could rock as you are turning, and that would make it want to shear off. For my recesses that I use, I am seldom more than 1/8 inch deep, even for 16 inch diameter bowls. Of course, doing a lot of bowls and experimenting a lot helps me figure out what will or will not work.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Mike Peace

WR Rocks!

Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Atlanta
Georgia
USA

Reply #16 - Nov 16th, 2013 at 3:52pm

I also think Len got it.  I had a class with him years ago and checked my notes. I had a diagram of a foot with a chamfer and my notes said it provides additional mass. In other words technically the tenon only needed to be as long as the beginning of the chamfer. But the chamfer allows you to have a little more wood on the tenon - reducing the chance of the tenon splitting based on the grain direction or punky wood.  Clearly he does not put a chamfer on the spindles since he shows there is no chance of the them splitting if there is a bad catch.

I was not putting a chamfer on my bowl blanks. I now have a better understanding because of this thread, and will start adding a chamfer - just in case.

Mike

"God is great and life is GOOD!"
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #17 - Nov 16th, 2013 at 5:10pm

Quote:
I had a diagram of a foot with a chamfer and my notes said it provides additional mass. In other words technically the tenon only needed to be as long as the beginning of the chamfer. But the chamfer allows you to have a little more wood on the tenon - reducing the chance of the tenon splitting based on the grain direction or punky wood.

For those of you wanting to try this method, you need to allow yourself the extra room for cutting a chamfer.
Example, if you usually cut a 1/8" tenon and now you want one with a chamfered edge, you need to cut a 1/4" tenon so that you will have enough area for your normal 1/8" tenon surface for the chuck to hold onto and an extra 1/8" area for the chamfer.

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #18 - Nov 16th, 2013 at 8:00pm

There is nothing added in the grip line that would improve the strength of the tenon.  Having more wood 1/4" away from the stress point will not improve the strength of the stress point.

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #19 - Nov 17th, 2013 at 11:03am

Quote:
There is nothing added in the grip line that would improve the strength of the tenon.  Having more wood 1/4" away from the stress point will not improve the strength of the stress point.

Jim, while I agree with you, some think adding the "additional mass" that Mike mentioned is some kind of benefit. I was just try to help
  As I have mentioned twice already, I think he is simply trying to salvage the tenon from splitting off.
He mentions and shows this at roughly 8:00 - 8:15 into the video

I know I'll most likely get grief for this but;
If this whole issue is about making proper tenins for safety reasons, there are two things that SB does that I would not.
#1. The tenons he cuts are too large for the jaws he is using.
You should not be able to see 3/8"-1/2" distance between Jaws.
#2, Over-tightening the Jaws. Anyone familiar with Vicmarc Jaws knows that they have a pretty sharp edge on them. The way he bears down on the chuck key when he's tightening, it's a wonder he doesn't shear off the tenon right there
Make the tenon fit the jaws and there is no need to tighten that much.

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #20 - Nov 17th, 2013 at 12:33pm

Does that mean the if you are gluing a 1/2" board to something, you will have a stronger joint than if you are gluing a 1/4" board?

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #21 - Nov 17th, 2013 at 1:22pm

Quote:
Does that mean the if you are gluing a 1/2" board to something, you will have a stronger joint than if you are gluing a 1/4" board?

Grin

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #22 - Nov 17th, 2013 at 2:00pm

I will agree that Stuart puts way more pressure on the tenon than I ever would. The plastic on the hex wrench will break off, and I have several that have done it. Putting too much pressure can put the wood under so much stress that it can split if you have any tiny catch. Just the 'straw that broke the camel's back' thing. It may add to 'more metal in contact with the wood', but still, that is too much for me.

As for the chamfer adding mass to the tenon, well, it may do that, but nothing is added to the contact points. I think that is like people turning out the inside of the bowl and leaving the center high because it adds mass. Well, it does, but not at the point where it will add anything.

Stuart does make some good points in his turning methods, but I don't agree with all of them.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #23 - Nov 17th, 2013 at 2:13pm

Quote:
Stuart does make some good points in his turning methods, but I don't agree with all of them.

Yes he does, I should make clear that I am not trying to badmouth SB but point out some things that might help others have a better understanding.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #24 - Nov 17th, 2013 at 3:32pm

Ed Weber wrote on Nov 17th, 2013 at 2:13pm:
Quote:

Yes he does, I should make clear that I am not trying to badmouth SB but point out some things that might help others have a better understanding.

Absolutely.
Discussing techniques like this helps us all get a better understanding of our favorite pastime 

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Patron

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #25 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 11:39am

Ron Sardo wrote on Nov 11th, 2013 at 8:55am:
Len Layman wrote on Nov 10th, 2013 at 9:14pm:
I just learned something. I had never heard of putting a chamfer on my tenons.

Same here. I'm still trying to figure out why it works since the break would occur above the chamfer.

The chamfer changes the lever arm (shortens it) and the force is directed differently.  The effect is to avoid starting the splitting along the end grain.   The bowl will tear out of the jaws before it the grain splits.   

If you have bad wood, cracks, etc, all the chamfering in the world cannot avoid breaking/splitting.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #26 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 12:52pm

Hmm, I think most of my splits are on the side grain rather than on end grain. I do tend to orient my chuck jaws so they are not directly on the end grain, so not at 12/3/6/9 o'clock, but at 1:30/4:30/7:30/10:30. Just seems to hold a little bit better.

I still don't understand the use of a chamfer. I just make a shorter tenon. Same difference.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #27 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 1:01pm

It's very clear why SB uses this method, but the interesting thing to me is why it works.
It ONLY works if you have a tenon that is too large for the jaws.
You can see in the video, (8:20) after he forces the blank out of the chuck, there are really only 8 points of contact. The center of each jaw did little, if any damage to the tenon at all. If the tenon was cut closer to the same diameter as the jaws this would not work and the chamfer would not help. The closer the tenon and jaws match, the better the mechanical connection is and the less pressure is need to apply for a secure grip.
It does seem that he uses this method of a larger tenon intentionally for the purpose of re-chucking should a failure occur. I suppose some would call this planning ahead, I'm not sure.
I would prefer to have a more secure grip initially, than what I would consider a less secure grip with the chance of re-chucking.
JMHO
No matter what method you use, please turn safe.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #28 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 1:47pm

Ken Vaughan wrote on Nov 18th, 2013 at 11:39am:
Ron Sardo wrote on Nov 11th, 2013 at 8:55am:
Len Layman wrote on Nov 10th, 2013 at 9:14pm:
I just learned something. I had never heard of putting a chamfer on my tenons.

Same here. I'm still trying to figure out why it works since the break would occur above the chamfer.

The chamfer changes the lever arm (shortens it) and the force is directed differently.  The effect is to avoid starting the splitting along the end grain.   The bowl will tear out of the jaws before it the grain splits.   

If you have bad wood, cracks, etc, all the chamfering in the world cannot avoid breaking/splitting.

I've seen bowls break off at the tenon where the tenon is still firmly mounted in the jaws. (maybe the jaws were clamped down to tight and the bowl snapped off when a catch occurred.)

As we all know, the break happens along the grain. There is a different force on the bowl when the lathe is spinning compared to when the lathe is still. When the lathe is spinning it is almost like a twisting/rocking motion instead of the force being applied to one single spot.  Did you ever look the mark a gouge left after a catch? Its not centralized, instead its a few inches long covering 20%-60% of the circumference. The closer to the rim the more force is applied during a catch (think levers) and in a wider area as compared to a palm of a hand banging on a mounted bowl.

I think a better demonstration would be for Stuart to bang on the bowl then spin it an inch then bang on the bowl again (repeat if necessary).

I'm not convinced but I will still think about this some more.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ken Vaughan
WR Patron

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #29 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 7:15pm

Let me try this another way ---

Good design and good work practice is to provide for the most safe failure.  Think of break away light poles along high speed highways.

The tenon design is to fail safe.  If the tenon is short, the champfer may not be needed to assure the failure will not likely be tenon separation.

Look at the champfer as a way to shorten an overly long tenon, and look more at the effective contact length of the tenon.  Also note that the hinge point is at the outside contzct point of the outside of the jaws and the flat contact point on the bowl.   Batty uses the chamfer to set the failure to the less risk mode of the tenon coming out of the chuck if an intense catch occurs

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print